Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is RTE pro FF/FG and Labour & Anti SF??

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is RTE pro FF/FG and Labour & Anti SF??

I was listening to Sinn Feins Arthur Morgan on RTE radio 1 morning Ireland show. Arthur Morgan was on the show to put forward Sinn Feins ideas for raising extra revenue for the state deficit. While some of Sinn Feins ideas for revenue raising may be questionable, I found the presenters attitude towards Arthur Morgan's suggestions dismissive and aggressive. When the other political parties have provided there ideas for savings they don’t seem to be receiving the same hostility. Is there a real hatred for Sinn Fein in RTE ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am not in the least surprised that you found the tone of the interview aggressive. Republicans have never been the flavour of the month at rte. However while this may have been understandable and somewhat acceptable during the conflict in the north there is absolutely no reason why Sinn Féin should be not given the same respect and hearing as any other party. We have a mandate to discuss the economy we have TDs and many councillors so rte needs to get it's act together. In the longer term however the hostility to our party will actually be beneficial as we will be seen as the oppostion to the status quo. So personally I don't care how much rubbish rte flings at us. To be ignored is the real issue and they certainly cannot ignore us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Every party claims that RTÉ is biased against it. FF blames liberal journalists. FG blames relatives of FF politicians. SF blames former Workers Party members. Every other party thinks it doesn't get the airtime it deserves.

RTE is blatantly hostile against SF. But so is most of Irish radio, TV and print media. I was surprised to see labour getting the credit to get JOD to step down, but from where I was standing all the pressure seemed to be coming from SF! Very peculiar. If I am mistaken please let me know.
    I am not pro SF in any way but they are elected representatives, like it or not. Anyway RTE is a state broadcaster, it is a FF broadcaster, It is a brainwashing tool used ad nauseum for the god fearing idiots of Ireland. Bless Them!
    Besides we must ask ourselves as a nation are we prepared to reject former terrorists in government, in favour of the financial terrrorism inflicted by FF on this country? The Financial shrapnel from FFs fiscal policy has financially injured most Irishmen and women, even pregnant women and children and in some cases even fatally.
    caRTE.L TV.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The RTÉ set are by no means pro FG-Lab. That they're anti-Shinner should be no surprise:

1. If you're not Shinner, chances are you're anti shinner.
    2. If you're scared sh1tless of Fianna Fáil, chances are you're going to behave as if you're very anti-Shinner, since the latter threaten what's left of Fianna Fáil's green-fool grassroots and you can get away with hitting them with a bigger stick than you can with FG or Labour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    RTE is blatantly hostile against SF. But so is most of Irish radio, TV and print media. I was surprised to see labour getting the credit to get JOD to step down, but from where I was standing all the pressure seemed to be coming from SF! Very peculiar. If I am mistaken please let me know.
    You're mistaken. Gilmore simply outmanouvred Sinn Féin. Sinn Féin were winding up to pull the plug and they forced Gilmore to do it first. He did it first.

In the annals of scientific achievement it's just the same: nobody remembers the person who published second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aggressivesecularist View Post
    You're mistaken. Gilmore simply outmanouvred Sinn Féin. Sinn Féin were winding up to pull the plug and they forced Gilmore to do it first. He did it first.

In the annals of scientific achievement it's just the same: nobody remembers the person who published second.
    Outmanouvred?? You're being far too generous to Gilmore. SF came out on TV and Radio calling for FG and Lab to remove him as they didn't have the numbers to do so. Gilmore obliged.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Panopticon View Post
    Every party claims that RTÉ is biased against it. FF blames liberal journalists. FG blames relatives of FF politicians. SF blames former Workers Party members. Every other party thinks it doesn't get the airtime it deserves.
    I am not a party member but you can pick up the hostility in some RTE presenters tone. This is not professional journalistic standards.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree that most political parties think RTE is against them. But that says more for the quality, or lack of quality of those interviewing. If they (RTE) were professionals they would be the same with all political parties, but they are rubbish interviewers in my humble opinion, backing down when dealing with FF ministers,full of deference, maybe worried about their future? Does RTE ever sack anyone, come to think of it? Paying my TV licence is the one thing in this country that I really, really, really resent. Really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    I am not a party member but you can pick up the hostility in some RTE presenters tone. This is not professional journalistic standards.
    Professional journalism is not RTÉ's strong point.

Where that lies is somewhere between light entertainment by young fogies to shock-jockery for old ones.

Sinn Féin are by no means the only victims. i'm not a member of the PD's -- indeed I lean the other way entirely -- but the institutional hatred of that party in RTÉ was palpable.

The appalling cowardice that reliably prevents them taking the gloves off with Fianna Fáil is sickening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast