Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: 40% of welfare recipients are foreigners

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default 40% of welfare recipients are foreigners

    I came across an interesting letter in the Business Post under the heading "failure of welffare rules" claiming that more than 40% of welfare recipients are now foreign nationals. Sunday Business Post | Irish Business News

    If these people are receiving welfare pro rata with Irish people then there is a welfare spend of over 9 billion on them which is over twice the now proposed cutbacks by Lenihan.

    In 2004 Bertie Ahern agreed to allow people from the accession states into the country without any restrictions. This means that foreign nationals can get Irish benefits even if they did not pay the full PRSI contribution in Ireland by moving their welfare credits from their native country.

    The letter writer proposes stopping welfare benefits to foreign nationals who have not paid the full necessary PRSI in Ireland. This would be in line with the policy in France and Germany.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Great link to Albert Collins' letter - no link to the actual facts.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member dunno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    A reasonable letter, the Gavin Murphy letter is what OP means, I think. A person should have a fair stack of PRSI contributions paid here before they get the 204 Euro, say five years, perhaps ten. Now for younger people that isn't possible, but that should curb abuses a bit, and not harm those who worked hard.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Breadan O'Connor View Post
    I came across an interesting letter in the Business Post under the heading "failure of welffare rules" claiming that more than 40% of welfare recipients are now foreign nationals. Sunday Business Post | Irish Business News

    If these people are receiving welfare pro rata with Irish people then there is a welfare spend of over 9 billion on them which is over twice the now proposed cutbacks by Lenihan.

    In 2004 Bertie Ahern agreed to allow people from the accession states into the country without any restrictions. This means that foreign nationals can get Irish benefits even if they did not pay the full PRSI contribution in Ireland by moving their welfare credits from their native country.

    The letter writer proposes stopping welfare benefits to foreign nationals who have not paid the full necessary PRSI in Ireland. This would be in line with the policy in France and Germany.
    your a big rasist nacker!!!!

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    5,124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    A reasonable letter, the Gavin Murphy letter is what OP means, I think. A person should have a fair stack of PRSI contributions paid here before they get the 204 Euro, say five years, perhaps ten. Now for younger people that isn't possible, but that should curb abuses a bit, and not harm those who worked hard.
    Mea culpa. Still has no links to actual information. It's like quoting someone from P.ie stating nonsense that immigrants get free cars, but with no proof whatsoever except that somebody said it.
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KERRY
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Its 18.5% according to the latest Live Register data.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    Its 18.5% according to the latest Live Register data.
    Does that include child benefits, rent, mortgage relief etc?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KERRY
    Posts
    1,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeupcall View Post
    Does that include child benefits, rent, mortgage relief etc?
    No. Just those on the Live Register.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member jcdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    A reasonable letter, the Gavin Murphy letter is what OP means, I think. A person should have a fair stack of PRSI contributions paid here before they get the 204 Euro, say five years, perhaps ten. Now for younger people that isn't possible, but that should curb abuses a bit, and not harm those who worked hard.
    I think it is currently 3 years minimum PRSI contributions for foreign nationals to claim the 204. The government lacks the skills to make such adjustments without causing a bigger mess. They will go for the easy option, a uniform cut for everyone.
    Economic Left/Right: -0.50
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.77

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Digout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    at the bar, where the sock puppets are
    Posts
    1,396
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    FFS, more racists. These people were more than welcome here when we needed workers, and needed people to rent the shoddy shoebox apartments.

    These people worked and paid their taxes, they are entitled to social welfare.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •