Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proposal to Reintroduce the Wolf To Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Proposal to Reintroduce the Wolf To Ireland

In the last ten years, as marginal agriculture has retreated from the hills and EU policy has favoured wildernesses, a number of native predators, bears, wolves and eagles, have been successully reintroduced to various parts of Europe.

The Irish Times yesterday published an article on the loss of the wolf from Ireland, as a result of a Cromwellian campaign to hunt them down and eliminate them. The last wolf recorded in Ireland was killed by a wolf-hound pack in 1786.

Ringforts were built from AD 500 to AD 1000 to protect cattle and sheep from them. William Russell, lord deputy of Ireland, was recorded wolf hunting with his wife in Kilmainham, Dublin, on May 26th, 1596. In 1558, 961 wolf skins from Ireland were exported to the port of Bristol.

Dr Hickey wrote that it was clear Ireland had a very significant wolf population during the 1500s and early 1600s, possibly well in excess of 1,000 animals.

He said the last authenticated date for the killing of a wolf in Ireland was 1786 on Mount Leinster, Co Carlow: a lone wolf which killed sheep was “subsequently hunted down and killed by the wolfhounds of John Watson, Ballydarton, Co Carlow”.
    Curse of Cromwell extended to Ireland's wolf population - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 11, 2009

There is a campaign to reintroduce wolves to Scotland. There are apparently many ecological benefits.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Wild wolves 'good for ecosystems'

Faced with another era of mass emigration and population decline, should the human species in Ireland make room for the wolf ?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately, that will not work...

Farmers will call an outrage if Ireland gets natual predator...

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The reintroduction of the Bear to the French Pyrennees worked very well though the locals were against it at first as many are Shepards.

Slightly off topic but reading your post it suddenly struck me as being not far off a metaphore. Cromwell killed all the proud and fearsome Irish wolves and all we're left with are cute fùcking foxes.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
    Unfortunately, that will not work...

Farmers will call an outrage if Ireland gets natual predator...
    Besides the banker you mean...
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was proposed in Scotland recently as the deer population has exploded due to lack of natural predation. I can't see the farming community being agreeable to this here as even the White-Tailed Eagle re-introduction has caused acrimony and many birds have been lost to poisoning.
    While Scotland has enough forest to support wolves, I don't think there is any area here big enough ( where they wouldn't pose a threat to sheep )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eyeswideopen View Post
    In the last ten years, as marginal agriculture has retreated from the hills and EU policy has favoured wildernesses, a number of native predators, bears, wolves and eagles, have been successully reintroduced to various parts of Europe.

The Irish Times yesterday published an article on the loss of the wolf from Ireland, as a result of a Cromwellian campaign to hunt them down and eliminate them. The last wolf recorded in Ireland was killed by a wolf-hound pack in 1786.

Curse of Cromwell extended to Ireland's wolf population - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 11, 2009

There is a campaign to reintroduce wolves to Scotland. There are apparently many ecological benefits.

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Wild wolves 'good for ecosystems'

Faced with another era of mass emigration and population decline, should the human species in Ireland make room for the wolf ?
    Interesting post, but there would be no benefits to Ireland in reintroducing wolves. The Scottish situation is unique. I was talking to a bloke who went on a deer shoot to Scotland. He said they're completely out of hand there. The figure he gave me was 5 million deer. One per person, roughly. They've had the army up there with serious hardware trying to cull the deer population.

Wolves are dangerous predators. Reintroducing bears and wolves in other countries is a daft fad that will bite people on the bum, literally!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    The reintroduction of the Bear to the French Pyrennees worked very well though the locals were against it at first as many are Shepards.

Slightly off topic but reading your post it suddenly struck me as being not far off a metaphore. Cromwell killed all the proud and fearsome Irish wolves and all we're left with are cute fùcking foxes.
    Nice . Somewhere in my mind there was a metaphor, on the NAMA day that's in it, to do with the snarling predators down at the Dail who are going to eat our babies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, perhaps a nice bit of reforestation to go with it? Aren't we one of the most deforested areas in Western Europe? I'm also aware that deer, even in the Phoenix Park, have to be regularly culled due to their expanding numbers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    Well, perhaps a nice bit of reforestation to go with it? Aren't we one of the most deforested areas in Western Europe? I'm also aware that deer, even in the Phoenix Park, have to be regularly culled due to their expanding numbers.
    I'll second that. And not just those Coilte christmas tree lots in nice neat rows. Fiar enough they grow quickly but it reminds me of Irelands broad band infrastructure, the quick fix.
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bring back the wolves....
    get rid of the snakes and weasals....st patrick forgot to clear out the Blackhall Place when in his banishing phase
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast