Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Role of Newgrange?

Default The Real Role of Newgrange?

The Boyne Valley Revision - Winter Solstice conference with Martin Brennan at Newgrange

What are the views of those interested in the matter on the above link apart from it being a very expensive lecture.
    I always thought the theories a little TOO theoretical.
    All that effort to build those many monumental structures must have had a great plan in mind.

Those Ancient Irish engineers certainly did a great job for our modern day tourist figures. Newgrange is always humming whenever we go there throughout the year... for the lovely cake.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceColgan View Post
    Those Ancient Irish engineers certainly did a great job for our modern day tourist figures.
    But did they get the LTEV?

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

There is a tendancy in the study of megalithic monuments to label the unknown or unexplained as a 'tomb'. Given the links between early astrology and spirituality (the druids being a prime example) it is unsurprising to find human remains in these monuments, but dismissing them as simple tombs seems to take away from the amazing celestial alignment of some of them like the great pyramid in Eygpt, Newgrange or Stonehenge, or indeed some of the incredible monuments of the south AMerican Aztecs, Incas and Mayans.
    My guess is that these monuments represented observatory and church, as well as a tomb for kings, however I think that perhaps it was the kings who wished to be associated with the granduer of the monument rather than the other way around.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by FakeViking View Post
    But did they get the LTEV?
    I had to look that up.

Seriously, the grub at the Newgrange interpretive centre is worth the trip! Besides we need more Irish accents there.

People from all over the world arrive in their thousands........everyday it it seems.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had to look that up.

Seriously, the grub at the Newgrange interpretive centre is worth the trip! Besides we need more Irish accents there.

People from all over the world arrive in their thousands........everyday it it seems.
    Haven't tried the grub in the IC but Newgrange is a gem, particularly on a frosty winter morning! Note to self: visit more often!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they were centres of initiation into the Hibernian mysteries. So there!
    “A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” R. Steiner

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yehbut_nobut View Post
    they were centres of initiation into the Hibernian mysteries. So there!
    Insurance for the afterlife?

Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had to look that up.

The catering company in the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre recently lost the contract, heard the news yesterday, no more good grub.

Quote Originally Posted by Fing Fers View Post
    The catering company in the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre recently lost the contract, heard the news yesterday, no more good grub.
    Drat! Investigation called for. We shall be visiting Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre in the near future!

The nearby Farmhouse cafe may not be open? So pub grub in Slane may be the answer, or 30 minutes back home for a delicious Welsh Rarebit!!

Politics.ie Member Colonel Kurtz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default I vote astronomical

I think they took the changing of the age a lot more seriously than we do today:
    The precession of the equinoxes, from Pisces to Aquarius
    Last edited by Colonel Kurtz; 12th November 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: added to link title

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast