Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Happier in the 80s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Happier in the 80s

I am just wondering if people were happier in the 80s before the Celtic tiger.
    In the 80s there was no pressure to have two or three properties, no pressure to have a big car or a couple with no kids buying a four bed house.
    You could have a few pints and drive home,
    Gay Byrne was hosting the late late show,
    You could watch the football on TV for free.
    Fish and chips were a treat on Fridays.
    People’s houses were homes with an open door for callers.
    Tayto and King Crisps were great on a sandwich with a lump of cheese.
    Most homes had a parent in it when returning from school.
    People did not moan and groan everyday –they just got on with it.
    Anymore positives from the 80s??

I was only born in the late 80s but listening to the stories I wonder if people were happier.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great music and movies too.

The 80s rocked.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eurocitizan View Post
    In the 80s there was no pressure to have two or three properties, no pressure to have a big car or a couple with no kids buying a four bed house.

I was only born in the late 80s but listening to the stories I wonder if people were happier.
    You mean when:
    We had horrificly high deaths on the roads from drunk driving
    Gay Byrne was the ONLY watchable thing on RTE.
    You could only see English football, never spanish, Italian or German. Ireland were terrible, and the matches themselves were awful, mostly due to the 2 points for a win system.
    Women normally stayed at home because they were educated and pushed by society into doing so, and faced huge barriers to progression in the workplace.

There are still people who don't moan and groan and just get on with it. Like in the 80s, they're usually the successful ones.

Edit: The 80s did give us Roadhouse though. And the music was much better than today. Remember when U2 were a rock band?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 80's were a different time. less social pressure to keep up with the Jones. people unable to borrow so less debt.

Communities were closer knit and stronger

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Nicer summers too.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about the 80's, but John Waters would claim we were all not just happier, but better people, in the 70's, when there were still barefoot children running up and down Gardiner Street and snobbery was a higher art form than it is today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comparing subjective perceptions of happiness is an almost impossible thing to do. I think it's easy for us to say if we are blissfully happy or downright miserable, but most of the time we are somewhere in between the two extremes, and it can be very hard to know just how 'happy' we were or were not at any point in life.

I was a teenager in the '80s, so I can't really make a meaningful comparison with how 'happy' I am now. I do remember an overall feeling of depression and hopelessness - as we were deciding what subjects to do for our Leaving or at uni, we were always warned that even folks with excellent degrees had to look for jobs stacking shelves in Dunnes. That, or take the boat (no cheap airlines) then to Hollyhead. And let's not even get started on the oppressive religosity - I'll never forget how our parents were instructed to send us out of the living room the night of the Dallas episode in which the Poison Dwarf went in for her abortion.

So overall, I can't say the '80s were all that wonderful. Yes, the music was great, and people's expectations were lower. They also did not seem to be as materialistic as they are now, but then as I say, I was quite young then, so maybe I just didn't understand these things. And yes, it was great that a teacher or a nurse could afford to buy a decent home less than 50km from her workplace, but that's if she could get a decent job at all.

i suppose what I'm saying is: Beware of rose-tinted glasses.

And everyone wore rose-tinted spectacles. They rocked.

Sweet Jesus: Dublin was smack central in the 80s, legions of young people had to emigrate, and voters had to choose between the corrupt and the inept to govern them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could have a few pints and drive home, Gay Byrne was hosting the late late show,
    Peoples houses were homes with an open door for callers.
    People did not moan and groan everyday they just got on with it.
    Yeah and a few years when Fianna Fail scum werent in power ruining the country . . . Least we have that to look forward to in the next decade . . . FF out of power . . .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

People still drank red lemonade too.

I could never explain red lemonade to people outside Ireland. Last time I have foreignists over I tried to find some but couldn't...

Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast