Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: EU: Tory Europe plan is doomed

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Ramon21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default EU: Tory Europe plan is doomed

    David Cameron is heading for a confrontation with Europe after some of Britain's closest EU allies yesterday rejected out of hand key demands outlined by the Conservative leader this week.

    Four more countries yesterday dismissed the Tories' new approach, in a direct rebuff to William Hague, who insisted that the party was not isolated after France's Europe minister accused the Conservatives of "castrating" Britain's position in the EU.

    Europe ministers from Poland, the Netherlands and the Irish Republic historically among the friendliest to Britain in the EU as well as Spain, said Cameron would not achieve his demand to repatriate social and employment laws to Britain. His plans would need the agreement of all 27 leaders of the EU because they would involve rewriting the union's treaties.

    Frans Timmermans, the Dutch centre- left Europe minister, told the Guardian the Tory plans would have a "paralysing effect on Europe There is more chance of a snowball surviving hell than the EU restarting debates on treaty change."

    Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, will also reject Cameron's demands because she is "fed up" with negotiating European treaties, one of her key allies said. Elmar Brok, one of the most senior members of the European parliament from Merkel's CDU party, said: "She is fed up of constitutional debates which we have had for 10 years. We need to discuss the competitiveness of the EU and employment."
    Still, even as the investor consensus ravages the euro, it's worth remembering that the same herd instinct not long ago was pronouncing last rites for the dollar. Last year, as China's central bank chief called for a new global currency and Russian central bankers dumped greenbacks to buy euros, many saw the dollar's decline as inevitable. Now, the dollar is riding high, and the euro looks bedraggled.

    "Views might change very quickly"

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    12,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramon21 View Post
    Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, will also reject Cameron's demands because she is "fed up" with negotiating European treaties, one of her key allies said. Elmar Brok, one of the most senior members of the European parliament from Merkel's CDU party, said: "She is fed up of constitutional debates which we have had for 10 years. We need to discuss the competitiveness of the EU and employment."
    Yeah...maybe not the best timing there. We've only had two years of debating about it and most of us are sick to the back teeth of it.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

  3. #3

    Default

    People should ignore what Hague is stating as he is playing to Tory voters who may vote UKIP. He knows the position but needs to make statements like this to reassure them he will do something when he knows he can do nothing.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    . We've only had two years of debating about it and most of us are sick to the back teeth of it.
    We in Irieland had debate. There was no debate whatsoever in most countries. In fact few if any citizens of the nations in the EU could tell you what Lisbon is about.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member setanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    649
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Other posters are right, there is no appetite at all within Europe to re-open institutional debates. From citizens to politicians, people want the EU to get on with the heavy-lifting work it needs to do on the economy and climate change, in particular. The Tories internal problems with their europhobes and UKIP are of little concern to the rest of Europe. Even if they win the next election in Britain they will find their European partners very unwilling to entertain their schemes.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member forest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    EU, Dublin
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    We in Irieland had debate. There was no debate whatsoever in most countries. In fact few if any citizens of the nations in the EU could tell you what Lisbon is about.
    the leaders of europe have debated it for nearly 9 years and there is appetite to reopen 15 year old treaties just to please the Conservatives (who signed up to most of them)
    I am glad Ireland has stated it position and I hope it sticks to it
    All the other 26 states need to say in one clear voice " ******************** of Dave"
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I feel he would be better off being completely honest about it and calling for a referandum of withdrawel from the EU.
    He does not have to vote for a withdrawel but its probably better for the british to get this monkey off their back.

    In my opinion the majority in favour of EU participation is similar to our own, about 70/30 in favour. the problem is all the loudmouths are on the anti-EU side. We know this also from experiance.

    I reckon its a put up or shut up situation that is required now.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Ramon21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    I feel he would be better off being completely honest about it and calling for a referandum of withdrawel from the EU.
    He does not have to vote for a withdrawel but its probably better for the british to get this monkey off their back.

    In my opinion the majority in favour of EU participation is similar to our own, about 70/30 in favour. the problem is all the loudmouths are on the anti-EU side. We know this also from experiance.

    I reckon its a put up or shut up situation that is required now.
    I agree, the anti-eu side is just much more active.
    The most pro-eu people are just normal people, don't going round the net posting.
    Still, even as the investor consensus ravages the euro, it's worth remembering that the same herd instinct not long ago was pronouncing last rites for the dollar. Last year, as China's central bank chief called for a new global currency and Russian central bankers dumped greenbacks to buy euros, many saw the dollar's decline as inevitable. Now, the dollar is riding high, and the euro looks bedraggled.

    "Views might change very quickly"

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member forest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    EU, Dublin
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I agree hiker
    I heard someone on Newsnight saying that they feel this will happen
    It seems to be acknowledged by those of sane minds (even if they do support the tories) tjat this renegotiation of powers is a none runner
    Michael Portilo said the same thing on This Week Last night

    The only question is will be an all in or all out referendum
    "We know what to do, we just dont know how to get elected afterwards" Jean-Claude Juncker on how to fix the European economy

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    the leaders of europe have debated it for nearly 9 years "
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •