Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Italy Convicts 23 In CIA Kidnapping

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Italy Convicts 23 In CIA Kidnapping

This is an interesting development. Italy Convicts 23 Americans In CIA Terrorist Kidnapping Case

An Italian judge on Wednesday convicted 23 Americans in absentia of the 2003 kidnapping of an Egyptian cleric from a Milan street, in a landmark case involving the CIA's extraordinary rendition program in the war on terrorism.
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The FBI will swoop, handcuff them and bundle them on the next flight to Rome now - that's the way it goes isn't it?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First the 'Man-With-a-Tan' jibes, then this.
    They'll be calling for regime change soon...
    Times are Hard at Berlin's Pussy Club

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    The FBI will swoop, handcuff them and bundle them on the next flight to Rome now - that's the way it goes isn't it?
    Check out the comments under that link. International laws don't apply to US citizens doncha know. And that's meant to be a leftie site!
    Conservatives seem to believe that the rich will work harder if we give them more, and the poor will work harder if we give them less. E.J. Dionne

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it's a positive development. At least some government, somewhere, had the balls to stand up to the Yank and their gestapo tactics.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    "I love your Christ. I do not love your Christians. They are so unlike their Christ"- Ghandi
    I love Gandhi. Another favorite one of mine is his saying -

"Atheists express their rage against God although in their view He does not exist."
    My old hen used to say, "Life is like a rooster house. You never know what you're gone to get."

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tayto View Post
    Well it's a positive development. At least some government, somewhere, had the balls to stand up to the Yank and their gestapo tactics.
    Didn't Spain find some CIA guilty of the same sort of crime or did I imagine that? I'm sure I remember something about it. No fear we'd ever take a stand anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by imokyrok View Post
    Check out the comments under that link. International laws don't apply to US citizens doncha know. And that's meant to be a leftie site!
    The conviction was for crimes committed under Italian law not international law.

Where does the EU US extradition regime come in here?
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by He3 View Post
    The conviction was for crimes committed under Italian law not international law.

Where does the EU US extradition regime come in here?
    I don't know. The appeals process will take years in any case. The chances of them facing sentencing are a million to one.

What ever happened to that Irish man the US wanted to extradite for supplying materials that they claimed ended up being used in weapons manufacturing in some country or another on their hit list - does anyone know?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read more at: Italy Convicts 23 Americans In CIA Terrorist Kidnapping Case

''Citing diplomatic immunity, Judge Oscar Magi told the Milan courtroom Wednesday that he was acquitting three other Americans.''

Can we assume that these three referred to are embassy staff or does dip. immunity also apply elsewhere ?
    Times are Hard at Berlin's Pussy Club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast