Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poland and the Jews

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Poland and the Jews

Interesting letter from Ireland-Poland Society today extolling Poland as a "model of integration and tolerance". Anyone familiar with the experience of Jews in Poland in the last century, under every sort of regime from democratic to military to Communist, will find that a bit odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...which is a shame, considering Poland was a shining light of tolerance and forward thinking for centuries past. That is why there were so many Jewish people there in the first place. They were hounded out of the rest of Europe.

The same was true of Spain until the Christians took over.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Has anyone read Jews in 20th Century Ireland. Bloody shameful stuff. De Valera and Lemass, not to mention people like Flanagan, should hang their heads in shame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<Mod>Moved to History.</Mod>
    Heavy words are so lightly thrown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    Has anyone read Jews in 20th Century Ireland. Bloody shameful stuff. De Valera and Lemass, not to mention people like Flanagan, should hang their heads in shame.
    There were thousands of Jews living in the Irish State -most of them doing very well for themselves thank you!

Like were they persecuted or something?

As for Poland IIRC 98% of the people there are well Polish!

Real multicultural State they have there now isn't it? :P

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not as badly as their counterparts in Europe, which is the whole point. The Irish State could have taken many more but choose to turn their backs on desperate people.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is not the way Irish Jews feel about it.

And you cannot compare Lemass and De Valera who were in no way anti-semitic to that loon Flanagan although in fairness to him I don't think his fascism endured much belong the time he was elected.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That is not the way Irish Jews feel about it.
    Those who were here were thankful for the safety of a neutral state, that's for sure, but the state was extremely reluctant to allow any more jews into the country during WWII. Some individuals were allowed in but they could have saved many more from being killed. Certainly neutral Sweden saved many jews and didn't suffer from it.

Dev and Lemass weren't anti-semitic, they just weren't too bothered about what was happening in Europe.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not as badly as their counterparts in Europe, which is the whole point. The Irish State could have taken many more but choose to turn their backs on desperate people.
    I read that only 12 jews were allowed in although my impression is that Dev and FF seemed to be be the favoured party for Jews in Ireland at the time. Maybe Fine Gael was perceived as a party exclusively for Gaelic Irish (despite having enlightened people like Dillon there were racists like Flanagan and O'Duffy). I havent read the Keogh book about the Jews in Ireland but it seems interesting.
    "They take away our freedom in the name of liberty"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Respvblica
    I read that only 12 jews were allowed in although my impression is that Dev and FF seemed to be be the favoured party for Jews in Ireland at the time. Maybe Fine Gael was perceived as a party exclusively for Gaelic Irish (despite having enlightened people like Dillon there were racists like Flanagan and O'Duffy). I havent read the Keogh book about the Jews in Ireland but it seems interesting.

Irish Jews were wary of FG because of the Blueshirts and the anti-semitic stuff that prominent FGers came out with in the 1930s. There was a strong Jewish republican connection in Dublin and Cork, most of whom - like the Briscoes and Goldbergs - joined FF in 1926.

FG were certainly not viewed as "Gaelic Irish"! Indeed much of the anti-semitism that was around was from the Dublin bourgeois types who adopted FG as their party in the 1920s and 30s. Many Dublin bourgeois institutions banned Jews. I cannot think of any "Gaelic Irish" ones that did.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast