Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 92

Thread: Is the fining of Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala an attack on free speech?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Newbie Theowolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Is the fining of Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala an attack on free speech?

    Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala has been fined €10,000 for making bad anti Jewish jokes and skits. Is this a further attack on freedom of speech in Europe. Where do the restrictions go next?

    France fines comedian 10,000 euros over anti-Semitic stunt - Haaretz - Israel News

    The show he was to do in London has also been canceled.

    French comic Dieudonné's London show axed for antisemitic joke | The Jewish Chronicle

    We do not have the right, in a free society, not to be offended. Freedom of speech is being straitjacketed. This is set to continue where more and more groups will demand to be protected from insults by the law.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,595
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Dieudonné ran for the EU elections on an Anti-Zionist ticket, so when he starts making Jewish jokes it looks bad. I would however agree that he has the right to make whatever jokes he wants, this however I find interesting
    The Paris court told Dieudonne M'bala M'bala, a 43-year-old French stand-up comic, to pay further 10,000 in damages and legal fees to organizations that sued him,
    I disagree with the state's involvement however the theatre also has the right not to put him on, the only worrying thing is this
    The Holocaust Educational Trust had earlier attacked the theatre for accepting the booking.
    so it doesn'tseem that the theatre were to concerned about it until pressure was brought to bare.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie Theowolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Dieudonné ran for the EU elections on an Anti-Zionist ticket, so when he starts making Jewish jokes it looks bad. I would however agree that he has the right to make whatever jokes he wants, this however I find interesting


    I disagree with the state's involvement however the theatre also has the right not to put him on, the only worrying thing is this

    so it doesn'tseem that the theatre were to concerned about it until pressure was brought to bare.
    Quite right, the theatre has the right to cancel, however if venues continue to back down at the hint of controversy we will end up with no difficult issues being discussed and debated.

    These venues should be more robust and stand up for freedom of speech.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theowolfe View Post
    Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala has been fined €10,000 for making bad anti Jewish jokes and skits. Is this a further attack on freedom of speech in Europe. Where do the restrictions go next?

    France fines comedian 10,000 euros over anti-Semitic stunt - Haaretz - Israel News

    The show he was to do in London has also been canceled.

    French comic Dieudonné's London show axed for antisemitic joke | The Jewish Chronicle

    We do not have the right, in a free society, not to be offended. Freedom of speech is being straitjacketed. This is set to continue where more and more groups will demand to be protected from insults by the law.
    I'm not sure there ever was such a thing as "free speech". It would be impossible for a coherent centralised society to allow such a thing and maintain its sovereignity. Perfectly free speech presupposes the absence of regulatory norms of any kind.

    The phrase "free speech" is nothing but a rhetorical device. Hollow lip service, for a superficial organisation of oppression.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie Theowolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    38
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post
    I'm not sure there ever was such a thing as "free speech". It would be impossible for a coherent centralised society to allow such a thing and maintain its sovereignity. Perfectly free speech presupposes the absence of regulatory norms of any kind.

    The phrase "free speech" is nothing but a rhetorical device. Hollow lip service, for a superficial organisation of oppression.
    I fear you may be absolutely correct.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Frank Galton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Meath in exile.
    Posts
    1,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Nicolas Anelka puts him back in the news ...Dieudonne's "anti-system" salute:



    BBC Sport - Nicolas Anelka: West Brom striker 'surprised by celebration criticism'

    France's sports minister has accused Nicolas Anelka of a "disgusting anti-Semitic" goal celebration during West Brom's 3-3 draw at West Ham.
    Anelka, 34, made the 'quenelle' - described as an inverted Nazi salute.
    The French government is trying to ban comedian Dieudonne M'bala M'bala's shows over his use of the gesture.
    Last edited by Frank Galton; 29th December 2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: clarification
    The Daily Mail -- the world's biggest cut-and-paste operation.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member slippy wicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down da bunker
    Posts
    4,550
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    ^
    / \
    ||
    What the actual F is all that.
    This has to be up there for zombie thread of the year.
    Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Sir Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member RasherHash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theowolfe View Post
    Dieudonné M’Bala M’Bala has been fined €10,000 for making bad anti Jewish jokes and skits. Is this a further attack on freedom of speech in Europe. Where do the restrictions go next?

    France fines comedian 10,000 euros over anti-Semitic stunt - Haaretz - Israel News

    The show he was to do in London has also been canceled.

    French comic Dieudonné's London show axed for antisemitic joke | The Jewish Chronicle

    We do not have the right, in a free society, not to be offended. Freedom of speech is being straitjacketed. This is set to continue where more and more groups will demand to be protected from insults by the law.
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." —George Orwell

    "Intellectual freedom is the right of every individual to both seek and receive information from all points of view without restriction." —American Library Association

    "If a book be false in its facts, disprove them; if false in its reasoning, refute it. But for God’s sake, let us freely hear both sides if we choose." —Thomas Jefferson

    "These Holocaust deniers are very slick people. They justify everything they say with facts and figures." —S. Some, Chairman, NJ Commission on Holocaust Education

    "Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul." —Mark Twain

    "A genuinely unfashionable opinion is almost never given a fair hearing." —George Orwell
    "CNN is a fake news bureau". Galloway.
    "The Democrats gave up on the working class 40 years ago." Noam Chomsky.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member RasherHash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    23,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    "CNN is a fake news bureau". Galloway.
    "The Democrats gave up on the working class 40 years ago." Noam Chomsky.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Hewson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    On the horizon
    Posts
    8,329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theowolfe View Post
    Quite right, the theatre has the right to cancel, however if venues continue to back down at the hint of controversy we will end up with no difficult issues being discussed and debated.

    These venues should be more robust and stand up for freedom of speech.
    What's free speech?

    If you'd been alive during Hitler's rise to power and home computers had been widely in use would you be campaigning for his right to incite hatred against Jews, homosexuals, gypsies and Roma? If so, would you be willing to defend your position in light of the consequences of the implementation of his opinions?

    Freedom of speech is not a stand-alone concept. It has a flip-side, and that flip-side is personal responsibility.

    You can't claim to promote the former whilst abdicating any culpability for its consequences when it backfires.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •