Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change the law on organ donation says UK doctors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Change the law on organ donation says UK doctors

What do you think of this story? The Royal College of Physicians has called on a change in law that would require every adult in the UK to decide whether to donate their organs after their death

Change law on organ donation, doctors say - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

By legally requiring all adults to donate their organs after death are we going down the road where it will be seen as selfish if you don't want to donate your organs? If this became law, could it be spun that not donating your organs is wrong and it becoming possible that people are put under pressure to 'choose' to donate their organs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the Nudge blog has covered this before, see here, here & here

Changing opt in to assumed , would greatly increase donations as per above projection

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    What do you think of this story? The Royal College of Physicians has called on a change in law that would require every adult in the UK to decide whether to donate their organs after their death

Change law on organ donation, doctors say - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

By legally requiring all adults to donate their organs after death are we going down the road where it will be seen as selfish if you don't want to donate your organs? If this became law, could it be spun that not donating your organs is wrong and it becoming possible that people are put under pressure to 'choose' to donate their organs?
    I would be happy for presumed consent across the board but with no pressurising of next of kin to donate and no making them feel guilty or irresponsible if they refuse. As medical science continues to astound us and as a species our sense of morals continues to turn to absolute materialism and individualism the market for human flesh will grow and the pressures will become more ghoulish, presumed consent satisfies the rights of people while helping to alleviate the need for organs (although it is possible that with cell culture improvements the need for organ replacement could be completely eliminated eventually with no problems of tissue rejection).
    Last edited by Thranduil; 2nd November 2009 at 07:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thranduil View Post
    I would be happy for presumed consent across the board
    The UK proposal actually is just to demand that people say yes or no, it is not presumed consent

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

It will only be a while until UK Govt decides that as you are dead then they have a right to your organs and it is for the "betterment" of society.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There should be a policy of presumed consent everywhere. If you are selfish enough to not want to participate then that option should still be available to you. However, I would think it fair that anyone who didnt want to participate in the presumed consent scheme and registered as such should not be eligible for organs to be donated to themselves. You are either with us or against us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shilts View Post
    There should be a policy of presumed consent everywhere. If you are selfish enough to not want to participate then that option should still be available to you. However, I would think it fair that anyone who didnt want to participate in the presumed consent scheme and registered as such should not be eligible for organs to be donated to themselves. You are either with us or against us!!!
    Right and you presume doctors would wait until you are near death before deciding to harvest your organs.

The handicapped adoptions from 3rd World states to the US for last 30 years seems strange than many of the adopted kids never seem to exist any longer..........wonder why that is. Mind you for the right price there are lots of organs available.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Right and you presume doctors would wait until you are near death before deciding to harvest your organs.

The handicapped adoptions from 3rd World states to the US for last 30 years seems strange than many of the adopted kids never seem to exist any longer..........wonder why that is. Mind you for the right price there are lots of organs available.
    Conspiracy theorists aside, I think that the presumed consent option is the better one.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The new PfG commits to presumed consent.

This sums up my thoughts: This Limbo: Programme for Government

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Presumed consent with no opt out for relatives after the donor's death as they have now. At present you can carry a donor card for decades only to have a relative veto the donation at the last minute.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast