Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Change the law on organ donation says UK doctors

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member L'Chaim's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    18,970
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Change the law on organ donation says UK doctors

    What do you think of this story? The Royal College of Physicians has called on a change in law that would require every adult in the UK to decide whether to donate their organs after their death

    Change law on organ donation, doctors say - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

    By legally requiring all adults to donate their organs after death are we going down the road where it will be seen as selfish if you don't want to donate your organs? If this became law, could it be spun that not donating your organs is wrong and it becoming possible that people are put under pressure to 'choose' to donate their organs?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    the Nudge blog has covered this before, see here, here & here




    Changing opt in to assumed , would greatly increase donations as per above projection

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    What do you think of this story? The Royal College of Physicians has called on a change in law that would require every adult in the UK to decide whether to donate their organs after their death

    Change law on organ donation, doctors say - Health News, Health & Families - The Independent

    By legally requiring all adults to donate their organs after death are we going down the road where it will be seen as selfish if you don't want to donate your organs? If this became law, could it be spun that not donating your organs is wrong and it becoming possible that people are put under pressure to 'choose' to donate their organs?
    I would be happy for presumed consent across the board but with no pressurising of next of kin to donate and no making them feel guilty or irresponsible if they refuse. As medical science continues to astound us and as a species our sense of morals continues to turn to absolute materialism and individualism the market for human flesh will grow and the pressures will become more ghoulish, presumed consent satisfies the rights of people while helping to alleviate the need for organs (although it is possible that with cell culture improvements the need for organ replacement could be completely eliminated eventually with no problems of tissue rejection).
    Last edited by Thranduil; 2nd November 2009 at 07:00 AM.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member cyberianpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Wherever I can see
    Posts
    16,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thranduil View Post
    I would be happy for presumed consent across the board
    The UK proposal actually is just to demand that people say yes or no, it is not presumed consent

    cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

  5. #5

    Default

    It will only be a while until UK Govt decides that as you are dead then they have a right to your organs and it is for the "betterment" of society.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    There should be a policy of presumed consent everywhere. If you are selfish enough to not want to participate then that option should still be available to you. However, I would think it fair that anyone who didnt want to participate in the presumed consent scheme and registered as such should not be eligible for organs to be donated to themselves. You are either with us or against us!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shilts View Post
    There should be a policy of presumed consent everywhere. If you are selfish enough to not want to participate then that option should still be available to you. However, I would think it fair that anyone who didnt want to participate in the presumed consent scheme and registered as such should not be eligible for organs to be donated to themselves. You are either with us or against us!!!
    Right and you presume doctors would wait until you are near death before deciding to harvest your organs.

    The handicapped adoptions from 3rd World states to the US for last 30 years seems strange than many of the adopted kids never seem to exist any longer..........wonder why that is. Mind you for the right price there are lots of organs available.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Right and you presume doctors would wait until you are near death before deciding to harvest your organs.

    The handicapped adoptions from 3rd World states to the US for last 30 years seems strange than many of the adopted kids never seem to exist any longer..........wonder why that is. Mind you for the right price there are lots of organs available.
    Conspiracy theorists aside, I think that the presumed consent option is the better one.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    215
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The new PfG commits to presumed consent.

    This sums up my thoughts: This Limbo: Programme for Government

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Presumed consent with no opt out for relatives after the donor's death as they have now. At present you can carry a donor card for decades only to have a relative veto the donation at the last minute.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •