Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should there be a market in organ donations ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Should there be a market in organ donations ?

Gary Becker one of the world's top economists has researched this subject and is in favour of a market in organ donations :

Gary Becker.
    My conclusion is that markets in organs are the best available way to enable persons with defective organs to get transplants much more quickly than under the present system. I do not find compelling the arguments against allowing the sale of organs, especially when weighed against the number of lives that would be saved by the increased supply stimulated by financial incentives.
    Wikipedia Gary Stanley Becker (born December 2, 1930) is an American economist and a Nobel laureate. Born in Pottsville, Pennsylvania, Becker earned a B.A. at Princeton University in 1951 and a Ph.D. at The University of Chicago in 1955. He taught at Columbia University from 1957 to 1968, and then returned to The University of Chicago, where he holds joint appointments with the departments of Economics, Sociology, and the Booth School of Business. Becker won the John Bates Clark Medal in 1967, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics in 1992, and received the United States' Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2007.[1]
    I am also - what do others think ?

Personally it makes sense, it is an incentive for life saving action and Becker has performed research which shows it would work.

Also of course this could refer to people getting payment now in advance of their death, or for people selling one kidney etc.

cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 2nd November 2009 at 02:44 AM.
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Within a decade from now,doctors will be able to clone organs. I was watching a documentary on it a few months ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It should be noted that there already is an organ market in operation, however it has a price ceiling of €0.

Apparently everyone else involved in organ donations - the doctors, nurses and hospital cleaners - are allowed to financially benefit. The donors have to make do with satisfaction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Makes sense to me.
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gary Becker's kidney for sale
    slightly sclerotic
    10% off for a limited time only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Continued from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by 20000miles View Post
    How so? If kidneys were going for €1,000,000 each on the market, some might say you'd be stupid not to sell your organ.
    Quote Originally Posted by femmefatale View Post
    Would you sell yours? I very much doubt it. It's exploitation of the poor/needy.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20000miles View Post
    If that's the case I'd be exercising my choice - something you say doesn't exist with the financial incentive in place.

Is it? You haven't told us how.
    Quote Originally Posted by femmefatale View Post
    They would be the ones subjecting themselves to an unnecessary medical intervention, and possible harm, so as to acquire some much needed funds. You would be exploiting their need/poverty.
    Donating organs isn't the only manner to acquire funds. As to the earlier point about robbing people of their choice, I would say that the opposite is true. The possible donor gains another possible choice. So under the current system, the choices are:

• Retain kidneys
    • Sell kidney for €0

Under a legal paid organ donation scheme another option is added:

• Sell kidney for >€0

Which appears to be a marked improvement for those in poverty.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No.
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Gary Becker one of the world's top economists has researched this subject and is in favour of a market in organ donations :

Gary Becker.

I am also - what do others think ?

Personally it makes sense, it is an incentive for life saving action and Becker has performed research which shows it would work.

Also of course this could refer to people getting payment now in advance of their death, or for people selling one kidney etc.

cYp

Brilliant. Not content with having the free market dictate most aspects of peoples lives, you're suggesting it should be applied to human organs and dictate whether someone lives or dies!

"Makes sense to me".... of course it makes sense to you. You probably have enough money to buy ten kidneys and a couple of livers. What about the people who don't?

And what about the people who are donating?.... who clearly will be, for the majority, the poorest of the poor from both the developed and the developing world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ráth Cúil View Post
    "Makes sense to me".... of course it makes sense to you. You probably have enough money to buy ten kidneys and a couple of livers. What about the people who don't?

Kidney For Sale On Craigslist For $75,000
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

More hate and exploitation from the libertarian wackos. Because the capitalists have impoverished half the world they now believe the poor should put their body parts up for sale to survive. And of course the rich should be able to take organs off the poor for a "fair" price!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast