Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Dalkey Inquest

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dalkey Inquest

I don't normally read reports on such events as they are depressing. However, the sheer horror of what took place in that house - and the more evidence is heard the more credible it seems - is staggering. More so given that one of the main culprits is alleged to have been a serving Garda.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think even for a country that has grown jaded by the scandals of the past, this one is still the ultimate shocker.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    I think even for a country that has grown jaded by the scandals of the past, this one is still the ultimate shocker.

Was reading about it on the bus and it was one of the few times I can remember just having to put it down and stare out the window.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I haven't seen the current newspaper coverage, but I remember reading an interview with the mother of the deceased baby a few years back, in which the identity of the town wasn't disclosed in order to protect the identites of all concerned (the alledged murderer was still alive at the time).

I had imagined that the house in question was in an extremely isolated rural area, miles from the nearest village - I was fairly shocked when the current inquiry named it as Dun Laoghaire.

Is the deceased baby's father still alive?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage
    I haven't seen the current newspaper coverage, but I remember reading an interview with the mother of the deceased baby a few years back, in which the identity of the town wasn't disclosed in order to protect the identites of all concerned (the alledged murderer was still alive at the time).

I had imagined that the house in question was in an extremely isolated rural area, miles from the nearest village - I was fairly shocked when the current inquiry named it as Dun Laoghaire.

Is the deceased baby's father still alive?

Not sure. There were several abusers including her father. Apparently he brought people to the house who paid him to rape his children. One of them she claims was a serving Garda and he brought the murdered child to where it was buried.

When I first heard of this to be honest I didn't really believe it but the evidence even of the sister who is claiming that no abuse took place would seem to sustain what the woman has said.

It truly is a glimpse into the dark side and a confirmation that evil does indeed exist, whether or not you define that in religious terms.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by popper
    Not sure. There were several abusers including her father. Apparently he brought people to the house who paid him to rape his children. One of them she claims was a serving Garda and he brought the murdered child to where it was buried.
    That wasn't mentioned in the article I read a few years ago - it only described abuse by the father, and I think it said the girl and "B" brought the murdered baby to its resting place.

I think that article mentioned that the baby's mother was visibly pregnant before she was removed from school, and yet the nuns appear to have done nothing about a pregnant 11 year old. It did mention that the father was friends with a local Garda (the implication being that the baby's mother believed this was why no action was taken)

It truly is a glimpse into the dark side and a confirmation that evil does indeed exist, whether or not you define that in religious terms.
    Its the cooperation of "B" that I find truly shocking. Even if she managed to convince herself that what she was doing was for the good of her family, to stab a baby so many times, when there are less violent ways of killing, just seems evil

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badinage
    That wasn't mentioned in the article I read a few years ago - it only described abuse by the father, and I think it said the girl and "B" brought the murdered baby to its resting place.

I think that article mentioned that the baby's mother was visibly pregnant before she was removed from school, and yet the nuns appear to have done nothing about a pregnant 11 year old. It did mention that the father was friends with a local Garda (the implication being that the baby's mother believed this was why no action was taken)

Its the cooperation of "B" that I find truly shocking. Even if she managed to convince herself that what she was doing was for the good of her family, to stab a baby so many times, when there are less violent ways of killing, just seems evil

I can't remember where I first read about this. It was a couple of years ago but it was far more detailed about what was going on. Definitely mentioned that others had been brought to the house by her father and that one was Guard who was later promoted to a senior rank. Not sure if this will come up at the inquest.

What struck me was that psychologists specialsing in this area have said that the claims are plausible. But more than that it was the story of the sister who is claiming that no abuse took place. Her own story of becoming pregnant as a young teenager and what happened to her own child actually substantiates the overall impression that something very very wrong was going on in this family. But worse than that, that there were people in the area who turned a blind eye to the evidence and of course much worse took part in the rape of these children. Mind-boggling and reminds me of what someone apropos the Holocaust once termed the banality of evil. And it begs the question, how the fk do these people make contact with one another? Hardly the type of thing you bring up in conversation in the pub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One to remember the next time we're told that modern Ireland has lost its soul, or that prosperity and the fall of the church has made us a more callous, less caring society.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dalkey House of Horrors and Paedophile Ring

From the Sunday World on 7 January 2016 - but I just noticed it now.
    'Dalkey House of Horrors' victim names members of paedophile sex / Sunday World

Dalkey House of Horrors' Victim Names Members of Paedophile Sex Ring

HOUSE of Horrors victim Cynthia Owen has publicly named six men she claims were members of the Dalkey paedophile ring that abused her. The mother of murdered newborn Noleen Murphy, born as a result of rape, said she has nothing left to lose and wants the world to see the men she claims her parents pimped her out to for drink and cigarettes.

She has alleged that she was raped by all six, as well as others who have since passed away and members of her own family. Nobody has been prosecuted in relation to Noleen, Ireland’s youngest murder victim, or the shocking catalogue of abuse at the family home.

In an extraordinary move this week she has published the names and photos of the men she accuses and challenged them to sue. .......

All six have vehemently denied that they raped her as a young child or were part of a paedophile ring. No other allegations of a sexual nature have been made against any of the men, three of whom are retired gardaí. [My emphasis]

Cynthia said she finally made the decision to name her alleged abusers after she received a letter from the Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald, just days before Christmas, saying that she would not be taking any further action in her case, in line with an Independent review Panel’s decision. .........

Last year, all six men were re-interviewed by gardaí as part of a fresh probe into the case. For the eighth time, the DPP directed that no prosecutions be brought, as it was the word of Cynthia against that of the men she accused. [My emphasis] ......

.... Incredibly, her parents Peter and Josephine went to their graves without ever spending a day in prison or standing trial for a horrific litany of crimes against their children.

The article also mentions that Gardai have been investigating this case since 1995 when Cynthia accused her mother of murdering her own baby decades previously. OK presumably the Gardai have not been investigating for all of the past 20 years but the fact that files have gone to the DPP on EIGHT occasions, indicates that a huge amount of police work has gone into this.
    Last edited by Kilbarry1; 17th February 2016 at 03:47 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilbarry1 View Post
    From the Sunday World on 7 January 2016 - but I just noticed it now.
    'Dalkey House of Horrors' victim names members of paedophile sex / Sunday World

Dalkey House of Horrors' Victim Names Members of Paedophile Sex Ring

HOUSE of Horrors victim Cynthia Owen has publicly named six men she claims were members of the Dalkey paedophile ring that abused her. The mother of murdered newborn Noleen Murphy, born as a result of rape, said she has nothing left to lose and wants the world to see the men she claims her parents pimped her out to for drink and cigarettes. ..........

The article also mentions that Gardai have been investigating this case since 1995 when Cynthia accused her mother of murdering her own baby decades previously. OK presumably the Gardai have not been investigating for all of the past 20 years but the fact that files have gone to the DPP on EIGHT occasions, indicates that a huge amount of police work has gone into this.
    This case has some things in common with the other thread
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-...ster-home.html
    where files went to the DPP on FIVE occasions and he declined to prosecute. Is the DPP involved in a cover-up or could there be a more straightforward explanation?
    Last edited by Kilbarry1; 17th February 2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Correcting date of Sunday World article