Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 440,000 must buy septic tank licence -- Gormley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 440,000 must buy septic tank licence -- Gormley

It went by yesterday mostly unnoticed but a new tax is to be introduced on rural Ireland. This tax is to be on your septic tanks.

MORE than 400,000 homeowners will be forced to buy a licence for their septic tank under new laws planned for next year.
    Yesterday, Environment Minister John Gormley said he would introduce a licensing and inspection system for septic tanks, which will affect 440,000 homes across the country, mostly in rural areas.
    The department has not yet decided how much a licence will cost, but in Scotland similar licences cost €82.
    440,000 must buy septic tank licence -- Gormley - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

What will they tax next?
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They are taxing the piss.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it's a good idea, though only if the inspections are actually meaningful and they are actually able to find systems that don't work effectively.

It'll be seen as another assault on rural Ireland, if the charge is very high though. Someone on a septic tank isn't getting any benefit from investment in communal waste water treatment, even though that is funded from the exchequer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is just another tax. if they wanted to reduce environmental pollution from septic tanks they could provide a grant to do so. There is pollution caused by septic tanks in rural Ireland, mainly caused by the use of chemical cleaners in toilets causing the natural bacteria in septic tanks to die and hence pollute. I am very careful not to use any chemical cleaners and have not had a single problem in 20 years with mine. I would also like to see statistics that show how much of a pollutant they really are. I am pretty sure that the majority of cases where there is E. Coli is found it is animal E-Coli not human and the blame is on the agricultural sector.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I already pay a septic tank licence fee - it goes to RTE.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree. I grew up with a septic tank out the back garden. It was drilled into us not to ram cleaners down the toilets etc. We never had a problem with ours, ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SAHM View Post
    I agree. I grew up with a septic tank out the back garden. It was drilled into us not to ram cleaners down the toilets etc. We never had a problem with ours, ever.
    As do most rural people Sahm, I am going to look into this more, I have a feeling that it will be all paying for the sins of a few as usual.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For PHUCK sake. This is a joke. The people who pay toward the clean water of cities through their taxes do not benefit from the facilities. They have their own system off the grid on their own land. Why would anyone allow polution to devalue their own land anyway? How stupid are the people? Most likely stupid enough to take this new tax up the hole as well.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Big big talking point in the local last night

Well thats Mary White gone at the next election - she was being ftd from a height as everybody was making the comparison between NAMA and this - bloody Greens selling the country down the river for a more "gesture" urban middle class votes.

Like Truthisfree above - We have a septic tank - if you are good to your septic tank - it will be good to you and the environment - anyway the only ones who use harpic and all that harsh chemical jazz are on the main water and sewage schemes anyway.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what does a license look like? surely if I had planning for it and it was build as described in that its OK?

If they want to inspect it they can go digging in the garden for it. I am not paying gormey for flushing a poo into my own garden.

Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast