Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watchdog recommends disciplining senior garda

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Watchdog recommends disciplining senior garda

In the Times today:

THE GARDA Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) has recommended that disciplinary action be taken against a senior member of An Garda Síochána in relation to the handling of a protest over Corrib gas in north Mayo over two years ago.
    Watchdog recommends disciplining senior garda - The Irish Times - Fri, Oct 30, 2009

The Times is shy of naming the brave Garda Superintendent, but I think it is obvious they are talking about Joe Gannon. He took the decision to break the lock on a gate with bolt cutters and use a JCB as a batterring ram to push local people out of the way so that Shell could erect a portacabin.

He was told at the time that he was crossing privately owned land without the permission of the landowner, but he appears to be claiming now that he was given "incorrect information". In another article in the Times, this one unsigned, Supt Gannon is credited with claiming that "he was unaware that a solicitor for the landowner was trying to contact him by telephone."

He was told by the owner of the land that his solicitor was on the phone and the mobile was held out to him. There is a difference between "unaware" and "didn't want to know"...

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Any bets that the "disciplinary action" willamount to paid suspension for a week or two and a firm finger wagging, if it is indeed Joe Gannon.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Was this the guy who said that Willie Corduff hadn't been beaten up ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's apparently what they're recommending Cod. From the article "Where a breach is treated as “less serious”, the type of sanctions which may apply include reduction in pay not exceeding two weeks’ pay; a reprimand; a warning; a caution; or advice."

Now if he indeed was aware that he was crossing private property, then a simple slap on the wrist doesn't seem appropriate. He willfully broke the law, and should face tougher sanctions.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    . He willfully broke the law, and should face tougher sanctions.
    Might be hard to convince a jury of sane people
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I don't think so. If the farmer and a few witnesses get up and say "He was informed this was private property and was offered a phone with the owner's solicitor on it" there's not a lot else you can argue about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If any member of An Garda Siochana is found to have willfully broken the law then he should be sacked immediately.

Zero tolerance is needed, how can we expect our young people to obey the law if the Gardai themselves are ignoring it.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This picture shows the Superintendent (with red braid) talking with the landowner. The Garda behind him is holding a bolt cutters, with which they cut the lock off the gate to open access to his land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shame.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Might be hard to convince a jury of sane people
    I'm by no means a flat-earther, believer in lizard people conspiracies, tinfolil-hat-wearer, Fianna-Fáil-excuser, or otherwise a believer in fantasies. But I do know how the gardaí operate and have always operated. leastways in my time on this poor planet (i.e. 50+ years).

So don't mind me asking, but when you say "sane people" do you mean it in the general sense of "people who are not crazy" or do you mean it in the Irish sense of "people who know better than to disbelieve a senior garda even when he's obviously lying through his teeth, because you will pay for it."

Because if it was me, I'd just believe the evidence.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast