Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recession

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Recession

Honestly, If I hear one more person mention this I am going to kill them in the face.
    A few "high-tech" manufacturing jobs in a specific industry leaving does not a recession make.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member asknoquestions's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishexami ... qqqx=1.asp

looks like everybody's hopping on the gravy train these days, though.

It's not 'A few "high-tech" manufacturing jobs'.
    It's a constant erosion of the manufacturing industry and the associated exports. This erosion is being replaced by services/construction. There is no stability in this.
    Redacted.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197
    It's a constant erosion of the manufacturing industry and the associated exports. This erosion is being replaced by services/construction. There is no stability in this.

What manufacturing industry?

We dont have a manufacturing industry. We never had.
    We jumped from an agrarian economy to a services economy. We skipped the manufactoring bit. How can you erode something you never had?

But. recession. Now there's a word I hav'nt heard in a long, long time, thank the gods.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

No, and I don't want to hear it for a good long while into the future either.

I'm afraid it'll become a mantra for the moaners.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kill them in the face! I love it.

The economy is as good as gold for many years to come as long as the goverment does not bow to pressure and start putting up trade barriers to try prevent job losses

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there a point in the last ten years when a recession wasn't being predicted?

Let's see what the situation is in six months time and then we'll know if these jobs are being lost to the country. The evidence last year was that this manufacturing activity is holding steady.

A politics site is generally the worst place to go if you want a serious economic discussion. If there's a change of government we'll immediately see the hacks change tack to replace their pessimist/optimist opponents.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daithimac
    Kill them in the face! I love it.

The economy is as good as gold for many years to come as long as the goverment does not bow to pressure and start putting up trade barriers to try prevent job losses
    Maybe your correct, but the damage inflation is doing to our competitiveness is a major worry. When you add to that the energy challenges up ahead we cannot afford to be complacent. Without a doubt proctectionism is not an option. The proportion of our GNP growth attributable to exports has declined steeply in the last few years. Something like 25% of males are employed in construction (which is categorised as being manufacturing or secondary economic activity BTW).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ah now, if I wanted a serious economic discussion I'd kill myself in the face.

*shudder*
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think a recession is likely, but it would be good to have a disaster recovery plan for employing construction workers if the bottom does fall out.

It's not as if there aren't millions of public works projects badly needing their input.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast