Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family trees?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Family trees?

Given the level of debate about immigrants, Irishness, Britishness and all the same old stuff I was wondering about family trees and how many people have found outside (meaning non-Irish/Gaelic Irish) influences on their family? My own family came here from England in the mid 1600s (have the year somewhere here), the other side is a mix of Anglo-Norman and from what we can gather native Irish, though we've only gone back to about 1780 with that side of the family.
    "Great minds talk about ideas; mediocre minds talk about events; small minds talk about people"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dunno about family trees, but DNA testing indicated that I was pure Celt on both the matrilineal and patrilineal lines going back at least 1000 and probably 5000 years.
    Damn unambitious ancestors!
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner
    Dunno about family trees, but DNA testing indicated that I was pure Celt on both the matrilineal and patrilineal lines going back at least 1000 and probably 5000 years.
    Damn unambitious ancestors!
    Was this the Oxford Ancestors test? Would be interesting but the costs of it are a litle too much for my wee pocket sadly. Being "pure Celt" though, does that mean all orignated in Ireland? Could easily point to Highland Scottish, Welsh or even English ancestory?
    "Great minds talk about ideas; mediocre minds talk about events; small minds talk about people"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yup, that was the test alright. The Haplotypes indicated Irish origin, apparently, but there was a small likelihood on the patrilineal side of Scottish heritage.
    Knowing my lot, however, I'm guessing they've lived within the same thirty mile radius for millennia.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's very interesting JC.
    As you are no doubt aware, the Celts started migrating to these islands around 600 BC. How the native people were treated by the invaders we can only guess.
    But that all happened a long time ago, so I'm sure we can just put it behind us and move on.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster
    As you are no doubt aware, the Celts started migrating to these islands around 600 BC.
    I think that that has been discredited in recent years. There was no "Celtic" invasion.

Regards...jmcc
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think my Great Great Great Grandfather was Welsh!Protestant Minister If I`m not mistaken!
    Equality It is new strung and shall be heard

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My lot are interesting-ish from a northern point of view. Me ma's side are nearly all pure Gael - lots of O'Neills and Dohertys and so on - but we did dig up a 19th century Presbyterian minister in Ramelton on that side. Much to the shock and dismay of some of the more conservative UberCatholic branches on her side

Me da's side have always had the legend of my great-great-grandfather. From staunch Orange stock, his da was Grand Poobah in the local lodge, but he fell in love with a wee Fenian lass from Killybegs. For this heinous crime he was cast out of the family and disowned, and so he converted (and brought all the kids up Catholic and Republican) but the family never forgot that we're of Planter stock. Well, twould be hard to deny it with our surname

In more recent times there's been a fair few mixed marriages in various branches. I always say we're busy converting them to Republicanism, one at a time. Heh. I'm actually related - through marriage, but very closely - to Gregory Campbell As far as non-Celt* blood goes, very little (that we know of), though I do have an uncle who was a missionary in Japan, fell in love with a local girl, left the priesthood, got married and they now have 3 kids.

Only two English that I can think of in the last 3 generations married in to the clan. All families have their skeletons I suppose...

* Yes, I know there never was a Celtic invasion, I'm using it here in the common sense of Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Manx, Kernow and Breton.
    Je suis un loo-lah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc
    As you are no doubt aware, the Celts started migrating to these islands around 600 BC.
    I think that that has been discredited in recent years. There was no "Celtic" invasion.

Regards...jmcc
    How do you imagine they got here then? Do you suppose they built Newgrange? (Answer: No they didn't)
    Maybe not a military invasion, maybe more of a huge wave of immigration spread out over many years.
    But it is 100% certain that they arrived around the 600 BC mark and displaced the indigenous people (who in turn probably displaced an even earlier population)
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

How do you imagine they got here then?
    Well there is the language discrepancy that indicates that Q Celtic is the older branch of the Celtic languages and P-Celtic, the Continental/Welsh version is the younger. These islands and Europe have always have always had close connections via the sea routes. Indeed the sea routes would have been a lot more important prior to the deforestation of much of Ireland.

A lot of the Continental Celtic influences would have arrived around the time of Caesar's attempted genocide of the Gauls and then there would have been a later influx at the time of the Roman invasion of Britain.

Do you suppose they built Newgrange? (Answer: No they didn't)
    Some people here actually might know a bit more about history than you think and from the way you are going on about it, I wonder if you do know anything about Irish pre-history beyond the pub quiz level.

Maybe not a military invasion, maybe more of a huge wave of immigration spread out over many years.
    And what of Leabhair Galba?

Pehaps the original post Ice Age population came up the Atlantic coast lines and then moved inwards into Europe from Ireland and Britain as the conditions improved. So you have the original Q-Celtic language as, potentially, that of the settlers that stayed put and the P-Celtic of those who continued to move inwards into a thawing Europe. Then there is the genetic similarity with the Basques.

But it is 100% certain that they arrived around the 600 BC mark and displaced the indigenous people (who in turn probably displaced an even earlier population)
    That's the kind of rubbish you find in primary school textbooks from people who aren't bright enough to do real historical and archeological research.

Regards...jmcc
    Regards...jmcc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast