Thread: Paisley says results signify burial of GFA

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Paisley says results signify burial of GFA

PAISLEY SAYS RESULTS SIGNIFY BURIAL OF GFA

http://www.iais.org

DUP leader Ian Paisley has said the general election results
    had seen the burial of the "so-called agreement".

Mr Paisley was speaking outside the House of Commons, where
    he and the party's other eight MPs will be sworn in on Thursday.

He warned new NI Secretary Peter Hain to "heed the ballot
    box and listen to what the people of Ulster are saying".

Mr Paisley said if the secretary of state's intention was to
    confront the unionist people he would fail.

He added that the DUP "would not be talking to the IRA now,
    tomorrow or ever".
    "The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Nothing we didn't expect from him, he running out of excuses

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Paisley's position has never been so mainstream ie the desire to politically exclude SF and the threat of change they represent dominates unionism and has sneaking regard in large sections of Irish and British political opinion.Although I think the IRA should leave the stage the idea that it will then be full steam ahead in getting the agreement working is very dubious imo.Could be political instability and then renegotiation is equally possible in the period ahead,risky as that is in terms of inviting conflict..

I welcome the realignment of unionism. Gets rid of this "moderate unionism" nonsense.

The reality for republicans is at least we know where we stand now. From Paisley and co we will have the definitive bottom line. No false posturing. Just good old straight talking. Paisley has said to the unionist community. We don't have to share power. We don't need equality. We can avoid our responsiblities and just wish our way back to the good old days of discrimination and gerrymandering. Of course, he will discover soon that his fantasy cannot become a reality. The croppies are lying down no more. The thrust of the GFA is irreversible.

In the eyes of the international community he will be ridiculed if he trys to avoid his responsiblities to share power in a divided untenable statelet.

He should look at the map on this page. If he thinks that the people represented by Sinn Féin or for that matter SDLP MPs are going back, he will be a laughing stock.

Unless he is willing to for once to demonstrate a wee bit of humility, he will be the consumate false prophet to his people.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac Donaghey
    I welcome the realignment of unionism. Gets rid of this "moderate unionism" nonsense.

The reality for republicans is at least we know where we stand now. From Paisley and co we will have the definitive bottom line. No false posturing. Just good old straight talking. Paisley has said to the unionist community. We don't have to share power. We don't need equality. We can avoid our responsiblities and just wish our way back to the good old days of discrimination and gerrymandering.
    Cormac, its very dangerous to assume that an extremist represents the whole community. Paisley is doing the exact same thing now - he's assuming the fact that a majority of Nationlists have voted for Sinn Fein means that a majority of Nationalists support the use of violence to ethnically cleanse Protestants (I know that wasn't the IRA's aim, but that's how Paisley views it). He thinks anyone who votes for Sinn Fein approves of Kingsmill, Enniskillen, La Mons, etc. The reality is that many Sinn Fein voters used to be SDLP voters, and are now voting for SF as they believe it will push more intensely in negotiations - they may still be totally opposed to the use of violence.

As far as I can see, Unionists believe Sinn Fein don't negotiate in good faith. Unionists therefore have voted for the party they believe will be bullied as little as possible in the upcoming negotiations. For you to go and make a leap and decide that this means Unionists secretly want a return to pre-1969 days, is dangerous.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe we should re-join the United Kingdom and fight the UK general election as the new Irish Party.
    No problems with a majority then. :twisted:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac Donaghey

The reality for republicans is at least we know where we stand now. From Paisley and co we will have the definitive bottom line. No false posturing. Just good old straight talking. Paisley has said to the unionist community. We don't have to share power.
    If you really believe this, why support negotiations towards the GFA or a renegotiated settlement?
    After all, if all unionism is so intransigent, why not go back to war?

Or are you relying on the governments to give us Sunningdale Mark II?

I agree with badinage, the Provos have themselves to blame for most of Paisley's new support.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaZeus
    I hope he dies tomorrow.
    i hope he lives to see a united ireland
    Sovereignty is Democracy

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise
    i hope he lives to see a united ireland
    he'd probably be the leader of the political wing of a vicious loyalist paramilitary organisation setting off bombs in Dublin, or at least an apologist for them and inspiration to them.

Don't let triumphalism get in the way of a peaceful future.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaZeus
    I hope he dies tomorrow.
    This evening would be nice.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast