Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

Widespread spiking of drinks with date-rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB is an "urban legend" fuelled by young women unwilling to accept they have simply consumed too much alcohol, academics believe.

A study of more than 200 students revealed many wrongly blamed the effects of a "bad night out" on date-rape drugs, when they had just drunk excessively.

Many are in "active denial" that drinking large amounts of alcohol can leave them "incoherent and incapacitated", the Kent University researchers concluded.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...d-1925339.html

Well it looks like someone finally mentioned the elephant in the room. This 'spiked' nonsense was nothing more than a convenient excuse for drunken morons to evade responsibility. I've lost count of the number of times I have heard some eejit spout this gem after a heavy night of vodka and red bull. (Usually women, it has to be said.)
    Furthermore, I would go so far as to say anyone claiming their drink was spiked, when tests prove it hasn't, should be charged with wasting Garda resources. If you can't control your actions, you must pay the consequences. Of course, in very, very rare cases there may actually be drinks spiked, but the vast majority are simply drunkenness.
    Rant over.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their is an obvious danger of date rape out there and people should be vigilant in regard to leaving drinks unattended etc. However, I would agree that the danger is overstated and it is something which most people are unlikely to ever experience in their lifetime. I have been on nights out where I haven't had anything alcoholic to drink, have seen people I know drink themselves virtually into a coma and then claim the next day that their drink was spiked when they can't remember what happened, it is obviously something which occurs.

I would have thought lads buying girls doubles rather than singles in mixers, without necessarily telling them, is more of a pressing danger than spiking for most people.

200 students is a crap sample though, so the survey proves nothing, nor does my anecdote above.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is never the vodka drinkers fault, always something else. But, that is today's society, always blame something or someone else.

If you leave a drink unattended in Ireland it gets robbed by some other pisshead.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The name of the drug is "Rohypnol". The name of the game is prescription pad procurement, or stealing said prescription for...a legitimately prescribed, although often controversial "memory retrieval" technique drug...colourless, tasteless, scent-free...what chance does an unsuspecting date rape victim have, to withstand such a potent drug, when even psychiatric patients report that they had no sense of ever having been "drugged", when they willingly attend psychiatrists, in order to work out issues from repressed memory of something traumatic.

The truth is, for anyone, particularly men, to comment about the often claimed, but rarely proven, or, even documented, matter of "drug based" date rape, when they've had no medical training, nor psychiatric experience, let alone, experience of rape counselling, or rape survival, is nothing less than a 2009 example of what Vietnam Vets claimed, when they returned to an unsympathetic American public, complaining of "flashbacks" of their wartime traumatic experience, which, decades later, was awarded by International Psychiatrists a definition within their textbook profile, the DSM hadback, refered to as being manifestations of "post traumatic experience"...so, get real, lads, Rohypnol is in Ireland, date rape happens, to men and women, and the underaged...and, stop revealing male associated profiles in ignorance, on this site, by referring to matters you obviously don't understand

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought Rohypnol had a blue dye? I'm sure I read that a few times.

I don't think there's ever been a recorded case of a date rape drug being used in Ireland. That's not, of course, to say it has never happened but it would be very rare. I still wouldn't advise leaving your drink unattended, better safe than sorry.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Date rape may be real but the drug we need to worry most about is is not rohypnol, it is alcohol, and usually self administered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bkcaravan View Post
    The name of the drug is "Rohypnol". The name of the game is prescription pad procurement, or stealing said prescription for...a legitimately prescribed, although often controversial "memory retrieval" technique drug...colourless, tasteless, scent-free...what chance does an unsuspecting date rape victim have, to withstand such a potent drug, when even psychiatric patients report that they had no sense of ever having been "drugged", when they willingly attend psychiatrists, in order to work out issues from repressed memory of something traumatic.

The truth is, for anyone, particularly men, to comment about the often claimed, but rarely proven, or, even documented, matter of "drug based" date rape, when they've had no medical training, nor psychiatric experience, let alone, experience of rape counselling, or rape survival, is nothing less than a 2009 example of what Vietnam Vets claimed, when they returned to an unsympathetic American public, complaining of "flashbacks" of their wartime traumatic experience, which, decades later, was awarded by International Psychiatrists a definition within their textbook profile, the DSM hadback, refered to as being manifestations of "post traumatic experience"...so, get real, lads, Rohypnol is in Ireland, date rape happens, to men and women, and the underaged...and, stop revealing male associated profiles in ignorance, on this site, by referring to matters you obviously don't understand
    Huh?

To suggest that people shouldn't comment unless they've "had medical training, or psychiatric experience, or experience of rape counselling, or rape survival," is ridiculous. Does date rape happen? Certainly, but the biggest date rape drug is alcohol not Rohypnol. And the constant refrains about Rohypnol take away from the larger risk of drink.
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is something that wouldn't surprise me:

a person can have a "black out" after three glasses of wine

If you don't believe me, check the reputable medical sites.

I have always thought that the descriptions I read of "rohypnol" incidents have sounded like alcoholic black outs.

It is no less date rape to take advantage of someone's drunken state (too drunk to give consent) than it is to rape someone who's drugged.

Men when very drunk are ironically less likely to get up to anything untoward.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    This is something that wouldn't surprise me:

a person can have a "black out" after three glasses of wine

If you don't believe me, check the reputable medical sites.

I have always thought that the descriptions I read of "rohypnol" incidents have sounded like alcoholic black outs.

It is no less date rape to take advantage of someone's drunken state
    (too drunk to give consent) than it is to rape someone who's drugged.

Men when very drunk are ironically less likely to get up to anything untoward.
    Date rape does not require either party to be drunk. It's rape, on a date. Drugs and alcohol are commonly associated with it but their not obligatory.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Date rape does not require either party to be drunk. It's rape, on a date. Drugs and alcohol are commonly associated with it but their not obligatory.
    Date rape in common parlance refers to drug-facilitated rape, that is where consent to sexual activity is inadequate due to incapacity on the part of the victim, generally resulting from actions on the part of the accused.

General rape is no different whether it is on a date or down a dark alley. The distinction of "date rape" makes no sense unless you read it as apart from other instances of rape, otherwise we'll end up categorising park rape, road rape, car rape etc.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast