Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ian O'Doherty has no credibility

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Ian O'Doherty has no credibility

The Burlesque buffoon's latest attack on what he considers
    'The creeping culture of political correctness' smacks of the usual hypocrisy, for this is a man - I'm told' who penned a piece in the Indo titled 'Say whatever you want about me, I promise I won't sue' and when people took up the offer on this site the thread was promptly closed and the comments section on the Indo site shut down. O'Doherty it seems is all for his right to say whatever pops into his mind (!) but isn't too keen on reciprocal remarks.

(taken from mpac.ie forum with some edits)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Referring to the backlash against Tommy Tiernan, he writes "it just goes to prove the paranoid conspiracy theory that Jews do indeed rule the World."
    Wait a minute. If something PROVES the theory, why does he describe it as a paranoid conspiracy theory. In the same sentence!!
    Really, I've seen better written posts on P.ie, than some of the articles passed in Irish print media.
    Some of our posters are leagues ahead of our "social commentators" *ahem.
    I haven't bought an Irish newspaper in ages. I prefer to read them for free or nick them from our bourgeois coffee shops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

he is a vile character to be sure - i loathe him and almost never read his column

can't understand why he is still working as a journo for the indo - better suited to the red tops methinks
    "The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists.'' ~ J. Edgar Hoover http://tiny.cc/b2jo9

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like him, I like to have my sensibilities shocked, and occasionally stirred towards anger. (offended even).
    their is a portion of our society, in all parts of the spectrum who will use any excuse to push their own particular agenda, and he is right they use the new crime of "offense" as a weapon and a shield,
    comedians are just one section that are forced to plan every outing around a map of no go areas, in daily life we have to think through every casual remark lest it lead to career or social destruction at the hands of some single issue sensitivity monitor.
    We cower behind the few brave individuals willing to say what we occasionally think or just push ridiculous boundaries and taboos. All the time colluding in dragging them down, as even inertia on our part could be construed as sympathy.
    It seems to me that the more extreme an individual is in either a political or social view, the quicker they will be to take offense, They then seek to muzzle the offender and scare of any genuine critique. It is telling that these defenders of virtue are usually those seeking to control how the rest of us behave, They have a sense of being far deeper and morally evolved than the poor sheep they live along side, more knowing and perceptive. Its all self awarded of course.
    We should all be braver and more willing to except that some people find our positions and beliefs ridiculous, comical or even dangerous to their world view. They have the right to say so, we have the right to argue back.
    Cira/rira Not in my name.

Politics.ie Member Amach na Casca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I cant stand O'Doherty. Agree some of the posts on here are far better than a lot of the so-called journalists for a lot of the main papers. I certainly would pay money to read the opinions of that nitwit anyway.
    “As well might you leave the fairies to plough your land or the idle winds to sow it, as sit down and wait for freedom.” - Thomas Davis

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ian O'Doherty is just another attention craving shock jock. I have no doubt that he has a modicum of intelligence but it is a pity he chooses to make his money by purposely avoiding the use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Ian O'Doherty is just another attention craving shock jock. I have no doubt that he has a modicum of intelligence but it is a pity he chooses to make his money by purposely avoiding the use of it.
    Got it in one. Just ignore him, same as I do with Myers and that attention seeking retired guard who " writes " in the Herald and is wheeled out by Joe Duffy on slow news days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find the whole 'against the liberal lefty pc consensus' shtick to be really, really boring and about the most unthinking thing you could come out with.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rhonda15 View Post
    he is a vile character to be sure - i loathe him and almost never read his column

can't understand why he is still working as a journo for the indo - better suited to the red tops methinks
    Get away owadat Rhonda,he's perfectly suited to Ireland's largest tabloid.Apart from the Sindo,I mean.

I paricularly loved his razor job on the late John Lennon.O'Doherty claimed he,Lennon, had become bloated by wealth and fame.Long time since I saw the rag but,as I recall,the photo accompanying his sewage was not a thing of beauty! He could could give Lennon 30/40 lbs anyhow.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post

You could say the same about the original poster Antiphon / Egan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast