Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer: Tribune

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer: Tribune

The article title is stark but the content is not what I or any other reasonable person would glean from it. The 'corruption' they are referring to is in regard to the roll nepotism and 'pull' plays in getting promotion and transfers within the Gardai.
    Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer
    Last edited by kerrynorth; 25th October 2009 at 10:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read it this morning, bit of a non story, is anyone surprised.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It use to be that every promotion over the rank of inspector was a Government appointment. The Government would "ensure" that certain names were added to the promotion list and low & behold that person was promoted.

FF are a shower of gimps.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by topcat4 View Post
    Read it this morning, bit of a non story, is anyone surprised.
    After the Morris Ttibunal?
    "The war against drugs is unique in all conflict: we can win it, simply by ceasing to fight it."

Politics.ie Member
    Far away from shore, under the deep blue night sky
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, nothing would surprise me when it comes to the gardai.

They must be one of the least effective police forces on Earth, and the news that talent and ability are not important factors in obtaining promotion will come as no surprise to anyone who has witnessed their cack-handed and slovenly responses to serious crime.

Ireland has truly reached the "every man for himself" stage. If in serious peril I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for help from the gardai.

Useless waste of tax-payers' money, the lot of them.
    Last edited by Capt Blah; 25th October 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: to add an "s"

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Blah View Post

They must be one of the least effective police forces on Earth, and the news that talent and ability are not important factors in obtaining promotion will come as no surprise to anyone who has witnessed their cack-handed and slovenly responses to serious crime.

Ireland has truly reached the "every man for himself" stage. If in serious peril I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for help from the gardai.

Ah come on now. They are not useless. They are understaffed and morale is very low as is evidenced by the statement made by GRA President O'Boyce. They need our support, and our input. I mean, who do you call if you are being attacked or robbed? Granted, the response time is not great but thats because of FF as usual, they fecked up everything.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The best way to get promoted in AGS is to join the Free Masons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynorth View Post
    The article title is stark but the content is not what I or any other reasonable person would glean from it. The 'corruption' they are referring to is in regard to the roll nepotism and 'pull' plays in getting promotion and transfers within the Gardai.
    Corruption is 'rife' among gardaí, claims young officer

thanks for that KN..haven't had the chance to read through the papers....BUT in a way why should the gardai be any different than (it seems) to me any other aspect of Irish life...look at the "elite" few that occupy state boards and institutions...the chap who went from FAS to CIE..(with a little cheque in the pocket)...and he is but one example....Remember the Old Irish saying...its not what you know..its who you know...

The hospital I trained in was reowned for it...when I started I cannot remember HOW many said to me."who are you related to?"...and I replied...."I was the mistake..."
    When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Blah View Post

This is the truth and I am a witness to it.

I had an item stolen from me last year, I notified the Garda and the details of the stolen item were added to the "pulse system". About 11 months later I found the item for sale on the internet and contacted the seller under the impression of a potential buyer. The seller still had my stolen item and I arranged to meet the seller at his location.

With all this info I went to the Garda and informed them of the situation. I talked to the Garda in my local station and they put me onto another station closer to the seller, that closer station put me onto another closer station. The member of the Garda suggested I contact him when I am on route to meet the seller, I had to do it before a certain time and it had to be before dark. I then asked will I be able to take the possession home after we met the seller, I was willing to bring all evidence required, it went down hill from there and I didnt like how it was sounding as I may not even receive the item back at all.

I had to do it my self and I am glad I did. After I met up with the seller I informed him the item he was selling was stolen and it belonged to me. The both of us then went to were it was bought first and twisted some arms, the seller was refunded by the thief's and the thief payed me for the damage during the time the item was out of my possession.

Another thing to mention, a friend of mine had a musical instrument stolen, again found it advertised for sale on the internet, contacted the seller only to find out the seller bought it at a Garda auction. The item was on the system.

All they are good for is dishing out minor fines to the average Joe Soap.

Politics.ie Member
    Far away from shore, under the deep blue night sky
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Ah come on now. They are not useless. They are understaffed and morale is very low as is evidenced by the statement made by GRA President O'Boyce. They need our support, and our input. I mean, who do you call if you are being attacked or robbed? Granted, the response time is not great but thats because of FF as usual, they fecked up everything.
    Are you completely nuts?

Understaffed?

There are thousands of the useless feckers and they perform no function AT ALL beyond serving as a private security company for Fianna Fail.

I heard a chap on the radio during the week who dialled 999 when a drugged man stood on the bonnet of his car, kicking at the windscreen and pulling off the wipers. The driver was terrified and called the gards. Their response was to ask him to drive to Pearse Street station!!

Useless.

This happened on Aston Quay in Dublin, two minutes from the Garda Station on O'Connell Street and 30 seconds from Temple Bar, where there are permanently two gards on duty.

And recall the recent petrol-bombing of the Department of Finance -- considering that there is a police station (secret) on that street, tasked with the protection of the buildings and officials, it is difficult to see how someone managed to throw the bomb and escape without being apprehended. I bet the gormless garda were around in the Centra on Baggot Street getting ham rolls and begging for free coffee. Pathetic.

In recent months I have heard quite a few people say that we should begin to deploy the army on our streets as there is currently no protection for the public.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast