Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: NAMA and rent controll??

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default NAMA and rent controll??

AM I correct in thinking (and before my head is bitten off, I haven't thought about it much) that if the Gov't now own all this develpment land etc are they now very strong landlords than can control planning etc. Basically, they can keep costs artifically high buy saying buy this at this price or get nothing at all cause you ain't getting planning for anything else?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After Nama the government will be in the strange position of trying to lower all other costs except rents and land prices, which they will be hoping to stabilise or even increase. Developers won't have to repay their loans until 2013 - and when we reach 2013 we will be told that most of the loans will never be repaid. Welcome to Lenihanland, a country ruled for the benefit of developers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

They can keep rents as high as they want. Companies will be liquidated, there wont be any personal assets to go after besides property and the units will lie empty for years. No rental cash flow No value.

NAMA will also be responsible for commercial rates and service charge and maintenance. HO HO HO

Has this been thought out. Answer is obviously NONONO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SAHM View Post
    AM I correct in thinking (and before my head is bitten off, I haven't thought about it much) that if the Gov't now own all this develpment land etc are they now very strong landlords than can control planning etc. Basically, they can keep costs artifically high buy saying buy this at this price or get nothing at all cause you ain't getting planning for anything else?
    Good question!

I think the government has always had it in its power to control the supply of development land, planning, prices etc. by legislating for it.

Instead we have had a criminally negligent set of successive governments, cross party councils illegally taking bribes right across the board (sinn Fein being the honorable exception) and an extremely thick to say the least, set of economists(Moore McDowell and others) who cheered from the sidelines, and condemned anybody who suggested going against the consensus. As a nation we have only acted in the interests of bankers, builders and developers. Now that the government is in a position where it controls all this land I think it will continue to represent the interests of bankers, builders and developers. When Fianna Gael get into power after the next election they will continue protecting the bankers, builders and developers.

Keeping prices artificially will be to the benefit of the government and their masters. A side benefit to this is that it will stop the plebs who are saddled with huge mortgages from taking to the streets due to negative equity.
    Are we a nation, or are we just an economy in thrall to international private banking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Given that rents are now shooting up in dublin due to a restricted supply (generated at least partly by NAMA/the state holding stock from the market) is it time to look at rent controls?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Given that rents are now shooting up in dublin due to a restricted supply (generated at least partly by NAMA/the state holding stock from the market) is it time to look at rent controls?
    Let the market decide rents and prices.

Abolish planning permission!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Let the market decide rents and prices.

Abolish planning permission!
    Er. No.

The market decided prices and rents during the celtic tiger years, look how that turned out.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The tens of thousands of people who are paying cripplingly high rents should ask themselves who is really paying for NAMA. The answer is - themselves.