Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coursing Club in dire financial straits...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile Coursing Club in dire financial straits...

Though a ban on hare coursing wasn't included in the PFG, the coursing fraternity is very, very worried about an unrelated issue...it lost its case v a property developer in the High Court earlier this year...it revolved around a claim by the developer that the ICC (Irish Coursing Club) had reneged on an agreed contract re sale of a piece of property. (full details on case on Courts.ie website)

The developer, Greenband Investments, is seeking very substantial damages and costs, which could run into millions of Euro.

After losing the case in the High Court, the ICC appealed, as is its right, to the Supreme Court.

The problem for the ICC is that if the Supreme Court rejects that appeal the future of this umbrella body for hare coursing in Ireland will be very bleak indeed. The costs and damages could be astronomical.

Lots of people on both sides of the hare coursing controversy are watching these high stake legal developments very closely. While nonody can second-guess what the Supreme Court's decision will be,some of us have a certain expectation, shall we say!

An internet search will reveal some very interesting articles following the progress of this case,..

As an opponent of hare coursing myself, I have a particular view on this. Let's see what happens!!!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

******************** them shower of creul basterds!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Wonderful news.
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you
    down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile Good news!

Best news I've heard for some time. I hope they lose every cent.
    Who would want green "one of the mob" ratings? Red and proud!

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dream on folks, the members of the ICC wont let the club fold regardless of outcome of the case.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stendec View Post
    ******************** them shower of cruel basterds!!!
    I know. I feel the same way about property developers myself.
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dataman View Post
    Dream on folks, the members of the ICC wont let the club fold regardless of outcome of the case.
    OK they probably won't fold, but it's gotta hurt.
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you
    down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile No Dream

It's no dream guys...the ICC is ALREADY in severe financial difficulties...add a legal bill of maybe six million Euro and you've got more than just a proverbial slap on the wrist.

That's of course unless the government bales them out..which I can't see happening in the present economic climate.

The High Court judge in the case observed that the ICC is a members club rather than a corporate body...so all members would be liable to pay up.

There's a peculiar set-up at present whereby all greyhound owners MUST register their dogs with the ICC...whether the greyhound is for coursing or track racing.

So even if you're opposed to hare coursing on animal welfare grounds and just want to run your dog on the track you are still legally obliged to pay a registration fee to the Coursing Club!

The money raised from registration fees is the life-blood of the ICC. Take that away and the whole network of hare-baiting gangs affiliated to the umbrella organisation would also take a big hit.

Fianna Fail coursing fans are no doubt acutely aware of this fact and will not in the near future back the transfer of greyhound registration to, say, the Greyhound Board responsible specifically for track racing.

But a move on that front is inevitable at some point. This is a very sensitive point with hare coursing fans. Registration fees keep their Fun-Cruelty operations up and running. You wouldn't ban their bloodsport by hitting them in their pockets thus...but, as with the puppy farm law's expected impact on hunting kennels, you could certainly "hang" hare coursing, and what a lovely event that would be!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A fraternity of gombeen hicks is bad enough. A fraternity of gombeen hicks with a mutual interest in animal cruelty for sport is another thing entirely.

A plague on the ICC. I hope the SC torpedoes them, and may they all rot in hell.
    A demagogue is someone who will preach doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast