Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Non Anglers Club

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Non Anglers Club

Hi all,

I am setting up a club for people WHO DONT ANGLE. This club will be solely for people who have no interest in the sport of Angling, who know nothing about it, nor have ever tried it, nor have any interest in ever tried.

In a nutshell, if you have never even heard of angling then you are a prime contender for membership!

The best thing about the Non Anglers Club is that we never meet, have no membership fees, have nothing in common, most of us arent even aware of others in the club. For us, not angling is not an issue in our lives at all.

However, we have had confrontations with Anglers, seeking to 'indoctrinate' us into the esoteria of Angling, why only last week I had a committed Angler telling me about his 'catches', you should have seen the smarmy look on his face. I decided to avoid confrontation and didnt mention my membership of the non Anglers club to him, best not to get into an argument with someone when the argument is so lopsided. I have no interest in Angling and never will, so why would I want someone trying to impress their love of Angling onto me? Hardly fair.

Dont get me wrong - if people want to Angle then fire away I say, so long as they dont get special treatment for their Angling then I can happily co-exist with Anglers, sure are some of my Family Anglers and Christmas at my folks is always wonderful because we all respect our love or our lack of love of Angling. So long as Angling isnt forced on me, then I have no issue with Angling.

I know it might seems strange to some people, the idea of a large, disparate group of people who's only point of commonality is their distinct lack of interest (or indeed belief) in something, being a homogenous group that shapes its thinking and it actiosn based on one, small lack of interest in something, but there you go.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any other group that operates in a similar manner to us non anglers? Surely there must be?

I was thinking of inventing a secret handshake for us non Anglers, but I just found the idea to be a bit, well, unbelievable.

Thats us Non Anglers for you.

None of the above shenaniagans, thanks!
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How do I become a member?
    Does this post suffice as membership. And does anyone know where I can join a "non travellers action group".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmmm ... haven't touched a fishing rod for YEARS but did catch a fair few aul perch with spinners in me time ... vicious little feckers (Irish equivalent of piranhas who eat anything - once caught one who had digested part of a tin can) with a top fin that would cut your hand off

Guess that rules me out of the Club?

Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any other group that operates in a similar manner to us non anglers? Surely there must be?

Paisley used to run an 'Ulster Says NO' club. Not too sure if it is still on the go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Well View Post
    Hmmmm ... haven't touched a fishing rod for YEARS but did catch a fair few aul perch with spinners in me time ... vicious little feckers (Irish piranhas who eat anything - once caught one who had digested part of tin can) with a top fin that would cut your hand off

Guess that rules me out of the Club?
    Stop oppressing us non - Anglers.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beanie View Post
    How do I become a member?
    Does this post suffice as membership. And does anyone know where I can join a "non travellers action group".
    I've just registered you in the 'non travellers action group' - will be expecting a lot of non-action from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    Paisley used to run an 'Ulster Says NO' club. Not too sure if it is still on the go.
    Paisley wouldnt be welcome in the non Anglers club, we like our membership to be broadminded and tolerant and whilst we wouldnt stop him becoming a member (we actually couldnt stop him if we tried) we certainly wouldnt have anything in common with, beyond the lack of Angling Amour......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never so much as held a rod in my hand.
    Much as I support the right of anglers to congregate and lie to each other about the ones that got away, they must do it in their own time, in a private location.

I will not tolerate people wearing waders in the workplace, or calling door to door telling us how they caught a bream last weekend. I'm a tolerant man but fair is fair.
    If there is a future, it will be Green.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will you welcome lapsed or former anglers?

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The "sport" of angling? Since when has drining bevvies by the river been sport?

Now an ironicly named Angler Fish...

"Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is non-angling really socially acceptable? Any father who raises a son only for him to turn around and say "I'm a non-angler" has to be disappointed.

Adapted from a well known poster.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast