Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Dónal Óg Cusack - an outside view.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Pat Mc Larnon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Belfast
    Posts
    5,588
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Dónal Óg Cusack - an outside view.

    The London Independent has run this article on the the decision by hurling star Dónal Óg to out himself as being gay.
    A lot of the article tries to be subjective in the response of the Irish people to the announcement. The part about the person with the megaphone and the effects on his family attending matches can be quite chilling. However, I was caught by the line that in Ireland homosexuality is viewed as being linked with paedaphilia.

    I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection. Is this just another one of these articles that deliberately takes a negative view of all things Irish? I was surprised to see such printed in the Independent.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,554
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    It's there. I remember a conversation I had with a well educated, well off woman 2 years ago, who wasn't comfortable with gay teachers because she thought it vastly increased the chances of abuse. It's definitely a factor for some people.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Clanrickard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Last outpost of freedom
    Posts
    31,846
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection. Is this just another one of these articles that deliberately takes a negative view of all things Irish? I was surprised to see such printed in the Independent.
    Owned by the odious Tony O'Reilly (a.k.a. Sir Anthony) and his Schwarzenegger sounding son Gavin. Tony has to talk up the untermenschen here on the emerald isle to keep in with the nice people that matter in the social circles in London. A thoroughly reprehensible wretch.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member TradCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I have heard a few negative response to the the book. All of them had to do with an extract in the Echo in which Donal Og criticised the Kilkenny players for not offering more support to the GPA.

    The feeling was that they concentrated on winning All-Irelands and he should have done the same. His private life is simply not an issue for most people. By going public he can only help people in the same position and their families and he deserves credit for his courage for that reason.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Chrisco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    The London Independent has run this article on the the decision by hurling star Dónal Óg to out himself as being gay.
    A lot of the article tries to be subjective in the response of the Irish people to the announcement. The part about the person with the megaphone and the effects on his family attending matches can be quite chilling. However, I was caught by the line that in Ireland homosexuality is viewed as being linked with paedaphilia.

    I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection
    You have clearly never read any of the threads relating to gay issues on here then...

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member willoughby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    How many gay primary teachers can there be, surely not enough to have a conference, maybe a meeting alright.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16,004
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    The London Independent has run this article on the the decision by hurling star Dónal Óg to out himself as being gay.
    A lot of the article tries to be subjective in the response of the Irish people to the announcement. The part about the person with the megaphone and the effects on his family attending matches can be quite chilling. However, I was caught by the line that in Ireland homosexuality is viewed as being linked with paedaphilia.

    I. like many others, have followed the whole debate on gays and gay rights across the island of Ireland for quite some time. I must say that I have never heard people make this connection. Is this just another one of these articles that deliberately takes a negative view of all things Irish? I was surprised to see such printed in the Independent.
    Pat, sadly the baseless link between homosexuality and paedaphilia referred to in the article is something I have heard quite a few times, including here on p.ie. It's sad but the fact that gay rights are not perceived to be a vote winning issues means that it's rarely and agenda topping issue and spurious rubbish like this spreads in a vacuum.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willoughby View Post
    How many gay primary teachers can there be, surely not enough to have a conference, maybe a meeting alright.
    Maybe even 10% of them?

  9. #9
    Gimpanzee
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Mc Larnon View Post
    I must say that I have never heard people make this connection.
    Reporter probably read a few threads here. In fairness to our loons it is prevalent in the general public too - 'all those of perverts are the same'. Would expect that it isn't uncommon in Britain either.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member willoughby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donalmc View Post
    Maybe even 10% of them?
    45 members seemingly.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •