Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dublin Airport - Passport control

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question Dublin Airport - Passport control

Why do all flights go through the same passport or immigration control section?
    Britain & Ireland flights should go through separate area so no passport inspection.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It could be down to DAA / Aer Rianta being utterly crap?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never understood that myself. What is the point in signing up for the Free Travel Area with Britain if we aren't going to give effect to it? We might as well join Schengen if we aren't going to give effect to the deal we already have.

British airports do give effect to it - if you are travelling from Ireland you skip the passport queue and just hand in your boarding card to prove where you came from - no passport is shown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica View Post
    Britain & Ireland flights should go through separate area so no passport inspection.
    Beacuse the immigration people could not stop people with dark skin if that was the case.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Iwas also of the view that there was no passport inspecion at Dublin Airport arriving from the UK but was informed by the immigration officer that this was not so and he gave me details of the relevent legislation. Isubsequently checked and found that he was correct. It is on the basis that we instituted such a control that the British authorities are now instituting a passport control on people arriving from Ireland.--there is currently no passport control an passengers arriving in the UK from Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loner View Post
    Iwas also of the view that there was no passport inspecion at Dublin Airport arriving from the UK but was informed by the immigration officer that this was not so and he gave me details of the relevent legislation. Isubsequently checked and found that he was correct. It is on the basis that we instituted such a control that the British authorities are now instituting a passport control on people arriving from Ireland.
    Haven't done so yet - I was in Gatwick a month ago and they hadn't.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, they demanded my friends passport when she stepped off a Cork - Dublin flight because she's a bit tanned.

So, DAA / the Garda Immigration Bureau have now recognised the People's Republic of Cork as an independent state?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gardai man the passport and immigration controls afaik. This sounds to me like a sub virus of blue flu. And it may get worse if there are paycuts. Didn't they hold up visitors and natives alike for hours recently because of a withdrawal of some allowance for sitting on their backside and nodding at everyone coming in.

Sorry, had a bad day on the oil rig, but you get the drift.

I agree there should be a separate Ireland queue (and maybe UK given the agreements we have with them re travel from one country to the other). Why should I have to go in line with everyone else, this is MY country after all. I should have at least some privileges for that.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I blame the DAA for incompetent management. One of the four piers should be reserved for domestic flights, one for UK flights, one for european flights and one for non-european flights. So simple it would mean:
    Domestic pier: Straight off the plane like in New York Laguardia or Chicago Midway.
    UK pier: Low key GNIB prescence, emergency immigration checks when required leading into the customs hall.
    EEA + Switzerland pier: Moderate GNIB immigration checks but fairly rapid as nearly all passengers will be EU/EEA/Swiss. This leads into the customs hall.
    Non-European pier: Strong GNIB prescence leading to longer immigration queues leading into the customs hall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most British flights are boarded in the "airside" portion of the airports , passengers from all over the world are in that zone and thus can freely travel to Dublin

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast