Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Charges Will Spark Water War

Politics.ie Member JollyRedGiant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Water Charges Will Spark Water War

PAYE workers and hard pressed families will be outraged to see that the Green Party and Fianna Fail have agreed to reintroduce water charges. The revised Programme for Government is clearly a continuation of Government policy of landing the price of the crash in the capitalist economy squarely on the shoulders of working people.

Water Charges Will Spark A Water War | Joe Higgins.eu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRedGiant View Post
    PAYE workers and hard pressed families will be outraged to see that the Green Party and Fianna Fail have agreed to reintroduce water charges. The revised Programme for Government is clearly a continuation of Government policy of landing the price of the crash in the capitalist economy squarely on the shoulders of working people.

Water Charges Will Spark A Water War | Joe Higgins.eu
    Sorry couldn't resist

But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it: "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These outraged cries and accusations never fail to amuse me. There seems to be this silly idea that we are all entitled to things but that we should not have to pay for them.

By what right may I turn on my tap and just leave it running?

If I am going to waste water ,why should it not cost me?

The notion of "Water Rates" is not Capitalism it is Responsibility.

I am responsible for my water usage and I should be Accountable if I waste water.

Accountability is not just for Politicians.
    Just because you did something stupid yesterday does not mean you cannot do something smart today!

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Water is a resource and its delivery to your home is a Utility. I think you should pay, but only in proportion to what you use, and you should have an incentive to reduce your consumption, as you do with electricity, gas and petrol (for example).

Currently it's been paid for via our regular Taxes (in one shape or another, I know there is more to it than that). So I'd expect to see either a tax cut or a clear reallocation of these tax receipts to other services, not to Admin staff in the HSE or NAMA ...

So install meters and charge all households for the use of their water.

I do not think this should be free and unlimited to social wlefare recipients, they should have a comfortable average allowance according to normal usage per person and they pay for anything above that.

you choose your car according to your ability to pay road tax /insurance / petrol and you heat your house according to your ability to pay. Both decisions should also be influenced by your environmental conscience. Water should be no different.

I disagree with the free to social welfare recipients as you make it even harder for those who willingly go out to work when yet another freebie is given to those who don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a rallying cry for the SWP? If they do adopt this cause (and then hijack it) we can expect the same result as came from the bin charges protests.

I am against charging for water used on an everyday basis. But in favour of water used above and beyond the national average. Water wastage and predicted shortages are costing us dear. The estimates of the cost of fixing those things is also predicted to be steep.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Water in the rivers and lakes around the island is free, as of course it should be. However the water which reaches your tap involves a cleaning/ decontamination process, the construction and maintenance of the accompanying infrastructure, and last but not least- paying workers involved in water utilities plants, and those maintaining the water supply grid.
    So it's not as straight forward as considering water a natural right giving the amount of manpower and time that goes into getting it pumped into household taps.

If water metres are introduced, it should be pay per amount used of course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeah water metres are the way to go. Just like every other European Country afaik. As Victor said, it's a utility. A utility that the governement used to be able to afford to pay for us. They can't any more, so it makes sense to pay it.

I'm sure Joe etc will make their points in a legal way this time, unlike 2003.

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The cost of water services at the moment is taken from the tax take. If the government introduce water charges, what happens to these taxes? Is there anyway to trace this tax money so we know that we're not simply being charged twice?

One upside of having to pay water charges (I suppose) would be that we would have more power to get rid of flouridation, which I believe is against some EU law or other anyway.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah water metres are the way to go. Just like every other European Country afaik. As Victor said, it's a utility. A utility that the governement used to be able to afford to pay for us. They can't any more, so it makes sense to pay it.

I'm sure Joe etc will make their points in a legal way this time, unlike 2003.
    The "government" have and will never pay for anything. The tax payer does. I know it seems like petty semantics but if you think about how much we use expressions like "the government will pay" I think we subconsciously fool ourselves. It is also the type of misnomer that the media use alot and I feel it creates a false impression of the system, like the government are giviing us something when in fact we are paying for it. Sorry, off topic anyway.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast