Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Press freedom down across EU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Press freedom down across EU

The naïveté of Reporters Without Borders with respect to the EU is a little dated, especially with regards to expecting it to set civil liberties examples. (They don't know what the EU is yet, obviously.)

EUobserver
    Press freedom in several European countries has eroded dramatically in the past year, particularly in Slovakia, Italy and Bulgaria, according to an annual index released on Tuesday (20 October) by NGO Reporters Without Borders. ...

"The impact of organised crime and the targeting of journalists account for the falls suffered by both Bulgaria and Italy, which got the worst ranking of the EU's six original founding members," notes the report.

"Silvio Berlusconi's harassment of the media, mafia violence against journalists who expose its activity and a bill that would drastically curb the media's ability to publish official phone tap transcripts explain why Italy fell for the second year running."

Journalists are still physically threatened in Italy and Spain, but also in EU candidate country Croatia, where the owner and marketing director of the weekly Nacional were killed by a bomb on 23 October 2008.

France fell eight points because of judicial investigations, arrests of journalists, raids on media and meddling by prominent politicians, including President Nicolas Sarkozy.

"It is disturbing to see European democracies such as France, Italy and Slovakia fall steadily in the rankings year after year," Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Jean-François Julliard said. "Europe should be setting an example as regards civil liberties. How can you condemn human rights violations abroad if you do not behave irreproachably at home?" ...
    Last edited by Al.; 26th January 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    "Laws were most numerous when the state was most corrupt." —Tacitus

Don't they give the USA a rather poor rating also.

Not that that is an excuse.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Where are the rankings?

I would like to see how the oft-criticised Venezuelans come up against the UK, USA and Italy....

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Reporters Sans Frontières

You might find some info on tha here
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Peabod View Post
    Where are the rankings?

I would like to see how the oft-criticised Venezuelans come up against the UK, USA and Italy....
    Chavez isn't criticised half enough. FYI Venezuela comes 124th, USA 20th. Happy?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Caped Cod View Post
    Reporters Sans Frontières

You might find some info on tha here
    Cheers

I struggle to believe that though - U.S.A in 20th alongside the UK, when the States have freedom of speech and the UK doesn't. France in 43rd? Hardly a Carib island in the top 50? North Korea actually above someone (although I'm not too sure of anything about Eritrea other than its a good place to get kidknapped!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fact the loopy left should have a good long gander at it as the top 30 or even more are all free market democracies. Commies and Islamists make up the bottom rungs of the ladder. It should tell its own tale but I doubt the loolas will care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Irland" is in joint top position. Man, I'd love to live in 'Irland'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Israel - that island of democracy in the middle east - is at 93

Lebanon, Kuwait and UAE beat it on press freedom. Interesting.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    In fact the loopy left should have a good long gander at it as the top 30 or even more are all free market democracies. Commies and Islamists make up the bottom rungs of the ladder. It should tell its own tale but I doubt the loolas will care.
    Yup, it tells us that the vested interests in todays commercial press come out above actual reporting, especially when measured by an organisation that seems to take most of its income from commercial operation. When it comes to 'Commies', as Communism is based around regulation as protection, it's no surprise that these nations come out near the bottom (although please remember North Korea is no longer a Communist nation, by their own admission). Equally unsurprising is that the countries near the bottom tend to be those that have had floods of Western aid put into their economies, mainly as a destablilisation effort, as happened in Iran round the time of the election.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast