Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Israel and the United Nations

Countering Benjamin Netanyahou's Orwellian Spin At The UN

By Eileen Fleming

30 September, 2009
    Countercurrents.org

In defense of freedom of the press, conscience and speech; I have seized the liberty to counter Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's spinning at the UN on September 24, 2009.

He is "N" and I am "E" and so it begins:

N: Mr. President, Ladies and Gentlemen

Nearly 62 years ago, the United Nations recognized the right of the Jews, an ancient people 3,500 years-old, to a state of their own in their ancestral homeland. I stand here today as the Prime Minister of Israel, the Jewish state, and I speak to you on behalf of my country and my people.

The United Nations was founded after the carnage of World War II and the horrors of the Holocaust. It was charged with preventing the recurrence of such horrendous events. Nothing has undermined that central mission more than the systematic assault on the truth.

E: In agreement on principal and the brutal truth is:

Israel has been targeted by at least 65 UN resolutions and the Palestinians have been targeted by none. [1]

"Aside from the core issues—refugees, Jerusalem, borders—the major themes reflected in the U.N. resolutions against Israel over the years are its unlawful attacks on its neighbors; its violations of the human rights of the Palestinians, including deportations, demolitions of homes and other collective punishments; its confiscation of Palestinian land; its establishment of illegal settlements; and its refusal to abide by the U.N. Charter and the 1949 Fourth Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War. [2]

"Israel holds the record for ignoring United Nations Security Council resolutions…Since 1968, Israel has violated 32 resolutions that included condemnation or criticism of the governments' policies and actions…The resolutions Israel violated were either about its annexation of East Jerusalem or settlements in the territories. Israel also ignored UN Security Council resolutions that called for Israel to cease using harsh measures against the Palestinian population and to cease expelling Palestinians. [3]

Countering Benjamin Netanyahou's Orwellian Spin At The UN
    Point and counter-point .
    It makes interesting reading

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Excellent, good find!!!!
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It says it all that the sack refers to him as N and herself as E. Why not B and F?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, but we all know that the UN is totally and disgracefully anti-semitic.

if you disagree, why then, you're an anti-semite too.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    It says it all that the sack refers to him as N and herself as E. Why not B and F?

And your use of the word 'sack' says it all about you .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are hundreds of examples of how the UN has lost its way, particular on the question of "human rights". Here is another example:

"I see no objection": UN adopts report praising Qatar's human rights record after UN Watch lists objections

Thank you, Mr. President. Today we ask: Does the cause of human rights support — or object to — the adoption of today’s UN Human Rights Council report on Qatar’s human rights record?

Let me read from the report:

“China appreciated the efforts expended by Qatar to promote and protect human rights.”
    “Bangladesh praised Qatar for the progress made in empowering women.”
    “Iran commended Qatar on its integrated social development, and for improving the situation of women.”
    “Sudan applauded the steps taken by Qatar.”
    “Turkey commended the progress achieved by Qatar in human rights.”
    Mr. President, no less than 78 out of the 84 country statements in this report offer praise for the human rights record of Qatar. That’s over 90 percent.

Yet the truth, Mr. President, is the opposite.

Let us be clear: The truth is that the 1.4 million migrant workers in Qatar object to this report because they are dying at the rate of one a day from inhuman conditions. At the current pace, more than 4,000 migrant workers will die to build the infrastructure for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup.

The truth is that the women of Qatar object to this report because they are denied basic rights to equality, for example denied the right to be elected to the Shura legislative council.

The truth is that journalists and aid workers who are abducted by the ISIS terrorist group and face beheading object to this report. In the words of Germany’s development aid minister, Gerd Mueller, from August 20th: “Who is financing these troops? Hint: Qatar.”

The truth is that the Palestinians, Israelis ,and other victims of Hamas war crimes — their exploitation and targeting of civilian populations, mosques, hospitals and schools — object to this report.

As one Arab diplomat said to the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies (FDD), as quoted in its testimony before the U.S. Congress, “Qatar finances Hamas strongly.”

Mr. President, for all of these reasons, let me be clear: the victims of human rights abuse around the world object to the adoption of this report.

Thank you, Mr. President.

[...]

President of UNHRC Session: May I now propose that the Council adopt the decision of the UPR on Qatar as appears on screen. I see no objection. The decision is adopted...

http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKIS...tiSemitism.htm
    “Words are animals, alive with a will of their own”.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Wasn't that the same UN which criticised Ireland's human rights record recently?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roc_ View Post
    There are hundreds of examples of how the UN has lost its way, particular on the question of "human rights". Here is another example:
    Are there not enough open I/P threads without digging up a five year old one? Even the Yanshuf team have given up on that little trick.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roc_ View Post

"I see no objection": UN adopts report praising Qatar's human rights record after UN Watch lists objections

Thank you, Mr. President. Today we ask: Does the cause of human rights support — or object to — the adoption of today’s UN Human Rights Council report on Qatar’s human rights record?

Let me read from the report:

“China appreciated the efforts expended by Qatar to promote and protect human rights.”
    “Bangladesh praised Qatar for the progress made in empowering women.”
    “Iran commended Qatar on its integrated social development, and for improving the situation of women.”
    “Sudan applauded the steps taken by Qatar.”
    “Turkey commended the progress achieved by Qatar in human rights.”
    Mr. President, no less than 78 out of the 84 country statements in this report offer praise for the human rights record of Qatar. That’s over 90 percent.

Yet the truth, Mr. President, is the opposite.

Let us be clear: The truth is that the 1.4 million migrant workers in Qatar object to this report because they are dying at the rate of one a day from inhuman conditions. At the current pace, more than 4,000 migrant workers will die to build the infrastructure for Qatar’s 2022 World Cup.

The truth is that the women of Qatar object to this report because they are denied basic rights to equality, for example denied the right to be elected to the Shura legislative council.

The truth is that journalists and aid workers who are abducted by the ISIS terrorist group and face beheading object to this report. In the words of Germany’s development aid minister, Gerd Mueller, from August 20th: “Who is financing these troops? Hint: Qatar.”

The truth is that the Palestinians, Israelis ,and other victims of Hamas war crimes — their exploitation and targeting of civilian populations, mosques, hospitals and schools — object to this report.

As one Arab diplomat said to the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies (FDD), as quoted in its testimony before the U.S. Congress, “Qatar finances Hamas strongly.”

Mr. President, for all of these reasons, let me be clear: the victims of human rights abuse around the world object to the adoption of this report.

Thank you, Mr. President.

[...]

President of UNHRC Session: May I now propose that the Council adopt the decision of the UPR on Qatar as appears on screen. I see no objection. The decision is adopted...

UN, Israel & Anti-Semitism - UN Watch
    Qatar has money to burn, and can buy anything.

And of more relevance, they have the urge to buy just about anything. [ pity Seanie Fitz did not sell them anglo Banglo.....]
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What became of " Fermoy " ? Obsessed he was.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast