Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: aer lingus

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default aer lingus

anybody watching prime time about Aer Lingus. The company is losing hundreds of millions every year while Ryanair is making hundreds of millions of profits.

If Aer Lingus is to survive it needs to make massive cuts but Unions (as usual) don't want to take cuts - do they know what the point of a company is?

Why is Aer Lingus so bad? is it just because they tolerate trade unions (which I'd never do if I ran a company)

even Aer Lingus flights to the UK is losing lots of money but Ryanair is doing the same thing?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toughbutfair View Post
    If Aer Lingus is to survive it needs to make massive cuts but Unions (as usual) don't want to take cuts - do they know what the point of a company is?

Why is Aer Lingus so bad? is it just because they tolerate trade unions (which I'd never do if I ran a company)
    AL almost entirely dependent on traffic from & to Ireland but Ryanair are spread across Europe. I was looking at this flight map yesterday & was surprised to see so many hubs across the continent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Just copied from prime time thread.
    How big was aerlingus to begin with? For years they seem to be costcutting and reducing staff Just hand it over to ryanair at this stage.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anybody watching prime time about Aer Lingus. The company is losing hundreds of millions every year while Ryanair is making hundreds of millions of profits.

even Aer Lingus flights to the UK is losing lots of money but Ryanair is doing the same thing?

Oh no you've started an AL thread. You've really gone and done it now............Odie, Andromachus, Cinik and Sailor will be along in a minute to take over

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have also noticed that flights booked from the USA to Ireland are at least 50% to 75% more expensive than flights on the same date from Ireland to the USA.

Once again, its not enough to scalp all the emigrants who wish to return.

Aer Lingus now will return to its policy of "FLEECING" anyone who does want to return for holiday.
    No wonder there has been such a reduction in the amount of people returning to Ireland.
    Drop in tourist numbers continues
    I can remember getting a quote on a compassionate Flight from New York to Shannon return for 1,300 punts back in the 90's. That was if i filed paperwork from the relevant hospital.
    I had not time for this bullsiht and told them to shove it and just get me on the first flight home.
    they are shameless leeches and i feel no sympathy for anything that may happen to that company

I will sincerely try never to fly aer lingus again as they are shameless in their treatment of emigrants who want to visit Ireland on a regular basis.

Let them go belly up and fester I say...
    Now that they have been privatised and they have butchered its staff payroll why should we worry about them?

Pity the government cant "privatise" some elements of the public sector so we can justifiably cull unnecessary staff... Just a thought ;-)
    Last edited by Spailpin; 15th October 2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: addition of link

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What odds the unions gon on strike before Christmas, it was laughable when they described the proposed job cuts as "Draconian" as well as proposed pay cuts, personally Mueller should have been looking to cut at least 1,100 jobs, thats how many jobs need to be cut to make Aer Lingus viable again, I wonder will the unions bring Aer Lingus to the edge of bankruptcy, secretly, I reckon the unions want the government to come in and renationalize Aer Lingus.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anyway, in reply to the OP, I don't think they're *that* badly run compared to other airlines.....but they are brutaly exposed by Ryanair as they compete head to head in Dublin. I would say that AL are as or more competitive than most flag carriers but most flag carriers don't compete head to head with ryanair. e.g. Ryanair flies out of London but not head to head with BA out of Heathrow. They are never going to match Ryanair on fares so they need to find other differentiators....Heathrow access, connectivity and transatlantic being among them.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spailpin View Post
    I have also noticed that flights booked from the USA to Ireland are at least 50% to 75% more expensive than flights on the same date from Ireland to the USA.

Once again, its not enough to scalp all the emigrants who wish to return.

Aer Lingus now will return to its policy of "FLEECING" anyone who does want to return for holiday.
    No wonder there has been such a reduction in the amount of people returning to Ireland.

I can remember getting a quote on a compassionate Flight from New York to Shannon return for 1,300 punts back in the 90's. That was if i filed paperwork from the relevant hospital.
    I had not time for this bullsiht and told them to shove it and just get me on the first flight home.
    they are shameless leeches and i feel no sympathy for anything that may happen to that company

I will sincerely try never to fly aer lingus again as they are shameless in their treatment of emigrants who want to visit Ireland on a regular basis.

Let them go belly up and fester I say...
    Now that they have been privatised and they have butchered its staff payroll why should we worry about them?

Pity the government cant "privatise" some elements of the public sector so we can justifiably cull unnecessary staff... Just a thought ;-)
    They can and should charge whatever the hell they can get away with. They're not running some emigrant outreach program.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just booked a flight yesterday to the midlands for 45 quid (after tax) with Ryanair and yet they make a profit.

They get their staff to work, land the plane, refuel and fly back. Keep it in the air. I believe that turnaround time is much longer with Aer Lingus, Also Aer Lingus staff are overapaid ( I read their pilots are on 300k) and I expect they get ridiculous perks. I bet ryanair staff stay in a travellodge while Aer Lingus staff stay in hotels.

Unions kill business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its was privatized with the same drivel servants working that refused to change ,so it's doomed to failure.

A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast