Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: getting a passport in irish

Default getting a passport in irish

does anybody know why the passport office wont give out an irish passport as gaeilge anymore ?

Default Re: getting a passport in irish

Quote Originally Posted by fearanphoist
    does anybody know why the passport office wont give out an irish passport as gaeilge anymore ?
    I think your wrong in that I renewed my passport in the past six months and it is in gaeilge.

i haven't used my irish name on any formal documentation so they say i have to be using it for 2 years before they will issue it. its a joke i have to wait that long.

you probably had it in irish already!

Quote Originally Posted by fearanphoist
    i haven't used my irish name on any formal documentation so they say i have to be using it for 2 years before they will issue it. its a joke i have to wait that long.

you probably had it in irish already!
    True I did, but when I first did get it they only ask how long I had used the gaeilge form of my name, I didn't have to show any formal documentation to prove that.

yeah they changed it now . i am tackling them though not letting them get away with that.

with the official language act 2003 and the announcement before christmas about the irish language , the department of foreign of affairs is in a league of there own .

Politics.ie Member Darren Mac an Phríora's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most people know me by my English name, although over the last couple of years I use my Irish name a lot.

I heard that it is an awful hassel booking plane tickets if you have a fada in your name. What if you name is Seán, for example, on your birth cert- do you always have to book tickets by spelling your name with the fada?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora
    I heard that it is an awful hassel booking plane tickets if you have a fada in your name. What if you name is Seán, for example, on your birth cert- do you always have to book tickets by spelling your name with the fada?
    Actually, the hassle is that online booking systems often can't read the fadas. I was booking tickets awhile ago for a computer-illiterate in the office and without even thinking about it I put in the fadas in his name. When he turned up at the airport there was a big rigamarole because the letters with fadas had registered on their system as things like Ǽ, Σ etc.

Sorry, this is slighty off topic but still on citizenship.

I've read citizenship act and it says that anyone born on the island of Ireland is an Irish citizen.

So ...... Why did i think that anyone born in Northern Ireland, who didn't have an Irish passport and whose grandparents were born after 1922 couldn't get one?

Have I just mixed myself up? Has the citizenship act been updated / changed from the version I read?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Mac an Phríora
    Most people know me by my English name, although over the last couple of years I use my Irish name a lot.

Just drop the fada when booking tickets, it dosen't cause any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankill Browser
    Sorry, this is slighty off topic but still on citizenship.

I've read citizenship act and it says that anyone born on the island of Ireland is an Irish citizen.

So ...... Why did i think that anyone born in Northern Ireland, who didn't have an Irish passport and whose grandparents were born after 1922 couldn't get one?

Have I just mixed myself up? Has the citizenship act been updated / changed from the version I read?
    I was born in the north and had no problem getting a Irish passport.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast