Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Government to appoint CIO to manage 21st-century nation

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Irish Government to appoint CIO to manage 21st-century nation

The Irish Government is finally going to appoint a digital tsar to manage the Irish public sector’s use of IT, existing e-government infrastructure and national digital assets, it emerged today.

Speaking at the launch of Imagine’s WiMax technology, which will bring speeds of 8Mbps and higher from base stations 8km away and which will cover 90pc of the country by 2012, Taoiseach Brian Cowen TD said his Government will appoint a Chief Information Officer (CIO).

“The Government have made a commitment in our renewed programme that we will appoint a Chief Information Officer. This CIO will provide leadership for the development of information and communications technology and other relevant technologies within and outside Government.
    Cowen said the CIO will advise the Government on how to take a proactive, leading role in championing ICT innovation and development externally, as part of building a Smart Economy.

“The CIO will assist public-sector modernisation by driving changes to government business processes and implementing improvements in how government communicates with its citizens through ICT. And the CIO will take a cross-departmental and agency-leadership role in driving the e-government programme. This is a further expression of this Government’s commitment to the development of innovative ICT technology in Ireland."

Cowen confirmed the Government will commit to ensuring that 100Mbps broadband will roll out to all second-level schools in Ireland.
    SiliconRepublic.com: Irish Government to appoint CIO to manage 21st-century nation - CIO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another useless overpaid position,each dept will do what it likes, just like it always has done.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any idea if they are going to appoint a CEO anytime soon. This country seems to be operating on auto pilot for the last 12 months...no signs of any leadership whatsoever.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Probably be another quangoite gobsh*te with no credibility or clue.

Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do I apply?

Sounds like a great job! It will involve jetting around the world to IT conferences at the tax payers expense. When in Ireland I can sit in my plush Quango office playing playstation. once a year to justify my position I will write a waffle paper with a liberal use of the words broadband and innovation.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Potentially an excellent move if done correctly, it'll be interesting to see who gets appointed.

Knowing this government though, it'll just be an excuse for ministers to talk more crap about the "knowledge economy", and give some Fianna Fail loyalist a nice opportunity for junkets.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
    Potentially an excellent move if done correctly, it'll be interesting to see who gets appointed.

Knowing this government though, it'll just be an excuse for ministers to talk more crap about the "knowledge economy", and give some Fianna Fail loyalist a nice opportunity for junkets.
    this Fianna Fail loyalist might be interested in the travel opportunities

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squib View Post
    How do I apply?

Sounds like a great job! It will involve jetting around the world to IT conferences at the tax payers expense. When in Ireland I can sit in my plush Quango office playing playstation. once a year to justify my position I will write a waffle paper with a liberal use of the words broadband and innovation.
    You'll also get a bonus for having a weird beard and never wearing a suit.

And for communicating completely in acronyms ...

Pure Green Party window dressing..... Is this request the "jump the shark" moment?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't forget to use words like "sustainable" and "over-arching"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd have more confidence if there was any evidence that any one in Government knew what this "broadband" thingy is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast