Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inner City Enclaves- Council Housing is lunacy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Inner City Enclaves- Council Housing is lunacy

A bunch of gurrier tennants are attempting a land grab:

RTE

120 council tenants in Dublin have been refused permission to buy their homes from Dublin City Council.

They had stood to make a profit of nearly 350,000 each.
    The apartments are at O'Rahilly House in Ringsend.

The tenants are expected to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Is it not enough that they are housed virtually for free, use valuable city centre land, drag down the value of surrounding properties ? Now the thieving class is back to its old tricks.

All around it would be far better if these non-working indigents were transplanted to cheaper green-field blocks. This would free up valuable inner city space for people that work & create tax revenue. This would lift the overall country further.

In times of economic depression & high unemployment this wasn't such an issue, indeed the cost of building was higher in Dublin city centre in the '80s than the cost of land ! Now with workers tending young familes spending 3 hours per day commuting whilst the lazy lords live in high value city centre dwellings it is extremely unfair.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Inner City Enclaves- Council Housing is lunacy

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan
    Is it not enough that they are housed virtually for free, use valuable city centre land, drag down the value of surrounding properties ? Now the thieving class is back to its old tricks.

All around it would be far better if these non-working indigents were transplanted to cheaper green-field blocks. This would free up valuable inner city space for people that work & create tax revenue. This would lift the overall country further.
    cYp
    These houses were built in the 1950's. At the time they were very necessary to house the urban poor. Your solution has already been tried. Have you heard of Ballymun or West Tallaght? btw I reckon about 80% of people in this area do work and do create tax revenue. I'll wait for the census to prove that particular point. Your post is like something from a 1980's Thatcherite Manifesto so beautifully applied through London Docklands Development Corporation; a failed corrupt strategy.

In this case, they should be allowed buy their flats at current market price for that type of property in Dublin 2. It wasn't long ago that free marketeers like yourself were pushing sitting council tenants into buying their houses to increase home ownership.
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alonso

cYp
    These houses were built in the 1950's. At the time they were very necessary to house the urban poor. Your solution has already been tried. Have you heard of Ballymun or West Tallaght? btw I reckon about 80% of people in this area do work and do create tax revenue. I'll wait for the census to prove that particular point. Your post is like something from a 1980's Thatcherite Manifesto so beautifully applied through London Docklands Development Corporation; a failed corrupt strategy.

In this case, they should be allowed buy their flats at current market price for that type of property in Dublin 2. It wasn't long ago that free marketeers like yourself were pushing sitting council tenants into buying their houses to increase home ownership.

Don't often agree with you Alonso but good points.

(Will still be picketting Croker next month all the same )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In this case, they should be allowed buy their flats at current market price
    That's what they're trying to avoid.

It wasn't long ago that free marketeers like yourself were pushing sitting council tenants into buying their houses to increase home ownership.
    Are you trying to associate me with what you state to be other people's positions ?

My point is say the enclave around Cuffe Street, those flats do not look like they house workers. They were built so as not to have to transplant the natives. Now, within 5 minute walk of Grafton St is an area people are afraid to walk in. These people should be removed to a cheaper area where they'd get higher quality housing. When they were needy the workers provided for them, now the workers are getting scr3wed, Dublin is congested & these ungreatful miscreants are trying to cash in.

cYp

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's what they're trying to avoid.

Are you trying to associate me with what you state to be other people's positions ?

My point is say the enclave around Cuffe Street, those flats do not look like they house workers. They were built so as not to have to transplant the natives. Now, within 5 minute walk of Grafton St is an area people are afraid to walk in. These people should be removed to a cheaper area where they'd get higher quality housing. When they were needy the workers provided for them, now the workers are getting scr3wed, Dublin is congested & these ungreatful miscreants are trying to cash in.

cYp
    Firstly yes I agree that they are trying to avoid something, that's why I said "market price". Not sure how the legislation works in this regard, but I assume it's messy. Your position is very similar to those adopted in 1980's Thatcher's Britain. Their urban renewal policies were nothing more than "fck the poor out. bring the rich in" You are espousing similar "virtues" here. It also happened in Dublin, but I think today, the community in the Docklands has a bit more say, not that everything is listened to of course.

those flats do not look like they house workers
    You seem to define workers as "white collar professionals". Most people living in innercity flats or houses are blue collar employees, therefore workers. They were born there and have a right to live, and eventually die there if they so choose. I don't know why you have a problem with public housing in good areas. I'm in Blackrock close about 5 or 6 large Council estates housing thousands of workers. It leads to a diverse community, which to me is far more attractive and vibrant than say the area around Merrion Avenue or old Foxrock

Now, within 5 minute walk of Grafton St is an area people are afraid to walk in.
    That's just nonsense.' I walk down Cuffe Street all the time, after dark as well, on the way to Wexford Street. Mercer street and the flats there are a bit rough lookin I admit. But I'd rather have inner city streets some perceive as dodgy than gated communities no-one is allowed to perceive as anything, coz they can't get in.

These people should be removed to a cheaper area where they'd get higher quality housing
    The Iron Lady would be proud that her policies have found such favour in you. I think what you;re saying is truly awful to hear in this day and age. You're treating inner city communities as an obstruction to progress. Do you want the entire area between the canals to look like Mayor street? have you no respect for Dubliners? Do you like the city?
    We need to radically change every system that has enabled the wholesale destruction of the Irish landscape, rural and urban. There is no time for incremental step by step measures. The systems have failed utterly and the only hope for a real recovery requires the rule book to be torn up completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The knackerbeasts should be rehoused in the suburbs, that'd be a huge boost to the economy

cYp

See no problem with it provided that there is a 90% clawback on any gain made on resale for 20 years.

The condition based on property not ownership so you buy for €60k and then sell on for €65k and then new owner sells for €400k then clawback still applies.

Also a nice way to control what is happening is City council to have what is called a 1 metre strip round the whole building. Uk councils do this all the time and they then control whats happening on the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Free houses paid for by others to be given to tenants who pay nothing and sold off by the tenant for massive free money? now suck the p iss out of my cock and spray me with it if that is the economics lesson for today, this place is getting more like the UK everyday.

Dublin-Male-Hetero-ABFF but worried about FGLab
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well there might be a basis in landlord and tenant law.
    If someone has a monthly tenancy and lives there for five years, he has rights (or used to)
    to a lease at 10% below full rental value for the next five years.
    Was this the housing act of 1966 as ammended? too far back I can't remember.
    But it was extended to those on a weekly tenancy.
    If they had been there for 20 years? 30 years? they also had rights to a lease renewal at below full rental value.

So if these Ringsend residents have been living there since the 1950s... they have rights
    of some sort... these Acts get ammended now and again.
    "Well, OK. Fine. As long as it comes with a steady paycheck, I'd believe whatever they wanted me to believe, as the Guy in Ghostbusters said."

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    The knackerbeasts should be rehoused in the suburbs, that'd be a huge boost to the economy

cYp
    Wow, six years later before you reply?

Were the apartments sold?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast