Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Sector Gravy.Fact and Fiction.

Politics.ie Member powderfinger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Public Sector Gravy.Fact and Fiction.

This thread is an attempt to highlight practices incorporated into the Public Sector paybill that are either outmoded,excessive or now unjustified given the new economic reality.If anyone has any area that they know of be it anecdotal or factual,please add.
    To kick the thread off I think that the allowances system of Garda pay needs restructuring.
    The McCarthy Report highlighted that there are 57 separate allowances available for claiming as a Garda.
    Minimum of €50m should be cut and half of all Garda stations shut down - The Irish Times - Fri, Jul 17, 2009

From Conor Lally's article.
    Garda allowances: what they can claim
    Rent Allowance (€58.9m in 2008)
    “Whatever about the historical origins of this allowance, it is essentially treated as part of pay and is paid to every member up to and including Chief Superintendent.”
    Premium Payments (€9.07m)
    “Paid to members who are on leave [who] would ordinarily be entitled to claim unsocial hours allowance if they were not on leave.”
    Clerical Allowance (€2.07m)
    “Paid to officers engaged in clerical duties to compensate for loss of other allowances, particularly unsocial hours.”
    Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance (€1.2m)
    “For members serving in defined Gaeltacht areas who perform their duties through the medium of Irish and whose knowledge of the language is certified as adequate for that purpose. And (paid) to compensate members stationed on the Aran Islands for . . . costs of travel to and from the mainland.”
    Uniform Grant and Allowance and Boot Allowance
    (€50.4 m):
    “Paid to members of
    An Garda Síochána for the maintenance of uniform.”
    Plain Clothes Allowance (€1.9m)
    “Paid in lieu of uniform allowance for maintenance of plain clothes – clothes not provided.”
    Non-Public Duty Allowances (€1.7m)
    “Paid to members of An Garda Síochána who perform a duty of a non-public nature (eg inside sports stadiums, race meetings).”

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The garda rent allowance is also paid to retired gardai.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would have to say all of these payments bar the uniform allowance should be scrapped.

The premium and clerical payments are a joke.

We know that any attempt to get rid of these allowances will be met with strikes or silent protests (like seen a the airports last year).

I don’t see the logic of paying gardai for doing easier work (clerical, stadium events, airport etc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    The garda rent allowance is also paid to retired gardai.
    The majority of allowances paid are also pensionable.This increases the pension base for Garda retirees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smitchy2 View Post
    I would have to say all of these payments bar the uniform allowance should be scrapped.

The premium and clerical payments are a joke.

We know that any attempt to get rid of these allowances will be met with strikes or silent protests (like seen a the airports last year).

I don’t see the logic of paying gardai for doing easier work (clerical, stadium events, airport etc)
    McCarthy's recommendation for a review of allowances projects Annual savings of €50m Smitchy.The review would be conducted on a VFM basis.
    Like yourself I can't see anything wrong with that suggestion.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I suspect that this government may need to have the Guards onside quite badly before all this is over. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for cuts.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In a report strongly supportive of the McCarthy document, the Rapist's and Burglar's Alliance praised the initiative to close down every second Garda station and proposed a policy to replace Garda vehicles with ecologically-friendly skateboards.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsui View Post
    I suspect that this government may need to have the Guards onside quite badly before all this is over. So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for cuts.
    Why? Law abiding citizens protest in lawful ways no? Only louts, leftists and the like cause trouble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Government dont have the "bottle".

The allowances will stay. There will however be a cut of between 5% - 8%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

These cuts are Thatcherite in nature and are an excellent precursor to privatisation of education, health and security.
    Don't fight it, let it happen, won't we all be happier in our gated communities away from the grubby underclass.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast