Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: On the roads tomorrow-Beware of the Farmers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default On the roads tomorrow-Beware of the Farmers.

Just to make an AA Rodwatch announcement. If your travelling tomorrow leave plenty of time as the IFA are planning on blocking 28 towns around midday in protest at farming cuts.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...256099575.html

The Green Party Don't Accept Corporate Donations.

THEY GIVE THEM

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its Tesco these farmers should be going after. Had an interesting chat with a Teagasc insider over the weekend who said that the company have no intention of paying any Irish Farmer particulary Dairy and Vegetable farmers anything near the cost of production since they can import everything they need from over the border and the UK for alot less. He said this will effectly finish milk production in this country since unlike the situation in the UK when Tesco were eventually forced to pay the farmers the cost of production and a tiny bit above due to the fact so many farmers were going out of business that their supply chain was threatened, no such problem exists here since Dairy farmers in NI alone can easily supply the market South of the Border.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoguy View Post
    Its Tesco these farmers should be going after. Had an interesting chat with a Teagasc insider over the weekend who said that the company have no intention of paying any Irish Farmer particulary Dairy and Vegetable farmers anything near the cost of production since they can import everything they need from over the border and the UK for alot less. He said this will effectly finish milk production in this country since unlike the situation in the UK when Tesco were eventually forced to pay the farmers the cost of production and a tiny bit above due to the fact so many farmers were going out of business that their supply chain was threatened, no such problem exists here since Dairy farmers in NI alone can easily supply the market South of the Border.
    I'd support the farmers as the more disruption thats caused the more likely this Govt. might collapse. However, as for the farmers themselves, I can drive a road for approx. 15 miles down here in the midlands, and no more than 10 fields have cattle or sheep and no more than a dozen fields have veg. growing in same.Drive from the Hook of Holland to the German border, and every field has activity of some sort going on. Don't say its the EU 'cause Holland is part of that aswell. The same applies to France, Germany and Belgium.

THEY GIVE THEM

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tressell View Post
    I'd support the farmers as the more disruption thats caused the more likely this Govt. might collapse. However, as for the farmers themselves, I can drive a road for approx. 15 miles down here in the midlands, and no more than 10 fields have cattle or sheep and no more than a dozen fields have veg. growing in same.Drive from the Hook of Holland to the German border, and every field has activity of some sort going on. Don't say its the EU 'cause Holland is part of that aswell. The same applies to France, Germany and Belgium.
    That's a bit synical. Irish land is not a good as Holland's.

Ex Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I thought the IFA voted yes for recovery?

So why are they protesting? Surely they should be enjoying all this recovery Ireland is basking in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

farmers bringing themselves down to the level of siptu , sigh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post
    That's a bit synical. Irish land is not a good as Holland's.
    I'm no farmer and so I'll concede that point, however surely theres something wrong that all of this land is lying idle. And this isn't land thats stuck up a mountain in Connemara. The midlands for God's sake.

THEY GIVE THEM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever tried to produce something from Irish land? Lots of the land isn't economically viable. The really fertile plots are farmed intensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just because they're growing grass doesn't mean they're not growing a crop. Jaysus, I'm a Dub and even I know that.

The Future of Crop Production in Ireland Climate Change and Sustainable Land Use

while grass, cereals and maize are a major source of food for our cattle industry
    Plenty of links out there.

Here's another

http://www.country-wide.co.nz/article/10953.html

For many years most Irish dairy farmers have been reliant on high-cost concentrates to drive production but they are looking at ways to cut costs and reduce inputs without compromising production.

Limerick-based farm adviser Fintan Monhan says that of his 120 clients, around 25% are now running pasture-based systems, but interest in these systems has increased exponentially as returns have fallen.

Limerick dairy farmers Paul and David Hyland have been leading the way in their district. They have followed a grass-based system for several years now. Their production costs at 15c/L (not including leases or interest rates) are 10c/L less than the average cost of production in Ireland.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm no farmer and so I'll concede that point, however surely theres something wrong that all of this land is lying idle. And this isn't land thats stuck up a mountain in Connemara. The midlands for God's sake.
    I have something of a farming backround (although not in the midlands). I've never known it to be an issue. Farmers will always make the best use of the land available that they can. If land is not wanted it can always be rented or sold. Unfortunately the government have decided to bankrupt as many small farmers as they can by stopping the REPS scheme which was part funded by the EU. Cutting it will cause a net loss to the exchequer.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast