Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Islam and Homosexuality - thoughts please

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Islam and Homosexuality - thoughts please

“Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.” Qur’an 7:80-81

Tariq Ramadan, the well-known Muslim academic, has fittingly identified Islam’s condemnation of homosexuality as the liberals’ litmus test for successful integration in ‘modern’ Europe, a position he rightly ridicules for its obvious hypocrisy. After all, Christianity, the oft-proclaimed cornerstone of western culture, itself takes a fairly dim view of same-sex relationships.

The Pope, as recently as last year, intonated the need to save humankind from self-destruction, a reference many felt was specifically directed at homosexuality. Indeed, as many have noted, all the world’s major religions and spiritual traditions—from the majority view in Hinduism, Buddhism and Judaism to Christianity and Islam—condemn and forbid homosexuality.

Islam did not introduce anti-homosexual literature to the world, both the Jewish and Christian scriptures which preceded the final message given to Muhammad are replete with condemnation.So why single Islam and Muslims out for special criticism?

Unfortunately, some misguided Muslims, having succumbed to the pressures of liberalism like their Christian counterparts, have now begun to engage in shameless semantic contortions of the scriptural texts in an effort to present a view that will find acceptance among non-Muslims in the west, namely that Islam does not condemn homosexuality. However, a cursory glance at the relevant texts will highlight the worthlessness of their futile assertions. Islam does indeed condemn homosexuality and it does so because it considers homosexual behaviour a choice, and therefore an act of disobedience.
    Islam and Homosexuality|MPAC.ie

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah Jaysus, yet another fukking homosexuality thread which will run to 100 pages and attract the usual headbangers to post homopbhobic rants. About the only good thing about Lisbon was that it allowed the website to have a month free from homosexual-bashing threads!
    "In [Ireland] a wife is regarded as a chattel, just as a thoroughbred mare or cow." Mr Justice Butler in the Irish courts. 'Traditional Marriage' in the 1970s.

Politics.ie Member the_Observer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The obvious conclusion is that Christianity is no longer the 'bedrock' of European values.

Christianity in Europe is dead. Now we must fight the same the battles for scientific, intellectual and personal freedom against Islam. Irritating to say the least.

Thoughts? Neither are well looked upon in India.

I'm told there's very little Hell in the New Testament but that didn't stop the Church. Scriptures can be contorted any which way you like, where there's a will there's a way. There's nothing more or less shamelessabout it, and their heart's in the right place. At the end of the day, there's always the imperishable God-loves-all-sinners approach.

I'm not sure if Islam is singled out as being homophobic, it's always been more of a RC idea to me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

of the 7 threads you have started, only one of them is not about homosexuality. That makes you a one issue troll, not like our resident multi issuers like patrick bateman. I gather you are a gay man yourself, otherwise you wouldn't think of it enough to spend all this time talking about it.

Now, re: your post. There are about 6,000,000 people on the Island of Ireland. Of which, about 50,000 are muslims. that's about .9% of the population. Of those muslims, less than about 20% take the Qur'an literally.That's about 10,000 people or about .18% of the population.

My point is, who gives a toss what they think

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, now that I think of it, isn't it a sin in Islam to attempt to translate the Qur'an into any language other than arabic?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cgcsb2 View Post
    of the 7 threads you have started, only one of them is not about homosexuality. That makes you a one issue troll, not like our resident multi issuers like patrick bateman. I gather you are a gay man yourself, otherwise you wouldn't think of it enough to spend all this time talking about it.

Now, re: your post. There are about 6,000,000 people on the Island of Ireland. Of which, about 50,000 are muslims. that's about .9% of the population. Of those muslims, less than about 20% take the Qur'an literally.That's about 10,000 people or about .18% of the population.

My point is, who gives a toss what they think
    I think you'll find remarkable agreement on the issue of homosexuality though, despite your obvious glee in the few who do take the religion seriously. Have you actually read the article though or are you commenting because you feel threatened?

What you have above is a translation of the meaning of the verse in the Quran.

Ex-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obessed with homosexuality. Why? Who cares?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Antiphon View Post
    I think you'll find remarkable agreement on the issue of homosexuality though, despite your obvious glee in the few who do take the religion seriously. Have you actually read the article though or are you commenting because you feel threatened?

What you have above is a translation of the meaning of the verse in the Quran.
    Even if all muslims agreed, which they don't, there are still more gay people than muslims. Including gay muslims. Again why do we care? I realise it's a translation, but as far as I know orthadox islam frowns upon it being translated much the same way the RC church only done services in latin once upon a time

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One could argue that Greco-Roman civilisation is the cornerstone of European culture - legal system, architecture, social structures, democracy, mathematics, language, writing, system of government etc in all European societies and thus North and South America via collonialism & migration.

Christianity merely adapted to fit that model!

The ancient greeks and Romans certainly saw nothing wrong with homosexuality!!

Rome may have fallen, but in reality it just morphed into 'the west' after a period of chaos in the middle ages!

I think it's very misleading to say that Christianity is the foundation of European culture when there is clear archaeological and other historical evidence that pre Christian Europe was very similar to modern Europe. We just copped on a bit about slavery etc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast