Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Unemployed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Unemployed

I grew up in a time of high unemployment, for me it kept me in college but family and relatives suffered it, and the places they had to go to find employment consequently changed their lifepaths forever.

The term "unemployed" seems to have fallen into disuse amongst our political classes at least, many of whom entered politics on the back of doing something about it. Apparently we still have 160,000 claiming to be unemployed, two Croke Park fulls if you can picture it, in this time of jobs for all.

Now why are those of our representatives that entered politics in the 1980's so chary of the subject of unemployment today. Which of our political parties will be highlighting this issue in the forthcoming election?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: The Unemployed

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Towers
    I grew up in a time of high unemployment, for me it kept me in college but family and relatives suffered it, and the places they had to go to find employment consequently changed their lifepaths forever.

The term "unemployed" seems to have fallen into disuse amongst our political classes at least, many of whom entered politics on the back of doing something about it. Apparently we still have 160,000 claiming to be unemployed, two Croke Park fulls if you can picture it, in this time of jobs for all.

Now why are those of our representatives that entered politics in the 1980's so chary of the subject of unemployment today. Which of our political parties will be highlighting this issue in the forthcoming election?
    Personally, I believe that anyone who is genuinely unemployed is entitled to something. The problem is the means testing system that Brennan introduced which actually deters people presently seeking unemployment assistance when they actually cannot find work.
    Ailish Walsh

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i guess the view of politicians, and the public, is that there is really no structural unemployment anymore.

if you are made redundant there are plenty of other jobs out there if you look hard enough and are prepared to adapt.

also, most of the unemployment figures are made up of the frictionally unemployed (people between jobs, as i was earlier this year, not that i signd on or anything) and the long term unemployed (comprised of those who have no intention of looking for or getting a job but are signing on).

furthermore, the unemployed figures include those who are signing on yet working on building sites etc.

far more pressing are the issues of childcare (for the number of working mothers (who vote) far exceeds the number of unemployed (who are less likely)), crime, health and education. i.e. issues important to those who are interested in making a success of themselves.
    Not being able to govern events, I govern myself. -Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Live Register includes parttimers and some claiming disability.

The CSO estimates that the unemployment level is 96,000 - people "available" for work. Nevertheless, it's still a hefty number.

In Oct 1973 during the first year of the Cosgrave Admin, the month of another ME war that had severe economic consequences, unemployment fell to 63,000 and in 1977, Jack Lynch said that if unemployment was above 100,000 at the following election , FF wouldn't deserve to be relected.

I know the workforce was smaller etc. but our current unemployment rate of 4.2% compares with Denmark's 3.3%.
    Believe those who search for truth. Doubt those who claim to have found it -André Gide (1869-1951) Nobel Laureate 1947

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The idea of "full employment" in an economic sense isn't that of 0% unemployment rate.

Generally, it's thought to be about three to six percent, but I'm sure that some people disagree. It's important to remember that when you look at these statistics, you probably aren't dealing with a static group, in that most people are only unemployed for a short time.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lads, ye're forgetting one segment of society i.e. the unemployable.
    This group consists of mostly able-bodied young men who suffer from a condidtion known as "sticky-matress".
    During the eighties this particular group would've been quite vocal about how hard it was to get a day's work etc, however, since our Economy started to pick up and work became freely available, this group have started to come under pressure to justify their continued failure to get a job. But, this particular group now have a new mantra "we cant get work because all the Poles are coming here to take our jobs!". :x
    (This group of unemployables are also known to speak highly of Fr Sean Healy of CORI)
    The reality is that this particular group makes up the vast majority of unemployed. Those on the Liberal left will also talk about the need for more training etc in order to help these able-bodied individuals find work.

But I've only one question to ask; if thousands of able-bodied Eastern European Citizens, such as Poles and latvians, with little or no grasp of the English Language, can find work easily, then why cant this group of native Irish???

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unemployment appears to be very lumpy around the country with some counties along the Atlantic seaboard with specifically Donegal and Kerry worse affected. The latest figures made for sober reading down here last week for my own county of Kerry. All the exchanges showed large increases year on year. The figure for Tralee is over 3000 and according to the Kerryman there are more unemployed in Tralee than in the entire county of Meath as well as a plethora of the smaller counties that they named.

There is nothing underpinning the economy of Tralee, all industry is nearly gone at this stage and we are not really a tourist town despite attractions such as the aquadome and the county museum. There is not much to detain a tourist in Tralee more than a few hours. It is the public service that is the only functioning are of employment in the town as the county town with the college, county council and county hospital the top 3 driverrs of the local economy and employment.

All of this is backed up from the results of the census which should almost uniquely in the country that the population of Tralee FELL in the last census with the population of the town core urban area falling 11%! The unemployment of Tralee and its hinterland is probably closer to 15% rather than little over 4% nationally.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Throat
    But I've only one question to ask; if thousands of able-bodied Eastern European Citizens, such as Poles and latvians, with little or no grasp of the English Language, can find work easily, then why cant this group of native Irish???
    perhaps because IBEC et al actually prefer your and their beloved E.E.s. over them!
    There's as least many 35+ unemployed around now as there was 5 years ago in my experience. There is also a lot less free full-time training courses from the likes of FAS than there was say a decade ago.
    The fact is unemployment is yet another situation were most the money spent on dealing with in goes to making and filling new civil service desk jobs rather than actually going to training and providing proper facilities.
    “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."
    Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism.

Real conservatives recognise that neocons aren't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

October '06, 155,389 unemployed, of which 29,600 were out of work for 15 months or more and thats greater than the population of County Leitrim. (INOU)

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Problem is that many people are brought up without a desire to better themselves in life.

If, at school, people are told/feel/convince themselves that they can't learn or that there's no point in finishing school then there's little chance they'll attain any educational qualifications that will open up opportunities for them....

This isn't helped either by some children being spoilt to the point that they've no repsect for any figure of authority, and moreover to the point that it's impossible to explain that one needs to be active agent in order to better oneself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast