Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Service Stations on Motorways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Service Stations on Motorways

Finally, they get it...
    We need service stations on our new motorways.
    Now they are building just 2...
    They claim there is only enough money left for 2 but why dont they open it up to the private sector to build such a business? It would costs a lot less than some of the empty Taj Mahals around Dublin and would be guaranteed to make money.

On a recent trip to Cork, I spend 30 mins diverting at night into Cashel trying to find a takeaway but no luck. Then again into Cahir looking for a petrol station
    What is the purpose in spending billions building a motorway system to speed up journeys if drivers have to divert onto the back roads for hours looking for food and petrol ?
    Not to mention the safety implications of driver fatigue and nowhere to stop off.
    But did any individual or committee get fired for designing a motorway system without service areas?
    Or did they get a pay rise and a gold plated pension ?
    These geniuses should have been hung for their stupidity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's also causing a situation where people are urinating at the side of the roads!

I've never seen that anywhere else, including in Ireland before.

It's just sheer desperation as there are no obvious rest stops anywhere along the entire M7/M8 to Cork

If you are driving Cork-Dublin, Horse and Jockey is a really nice spot to stop off at. It's just off the motorway about 1 min drive back onto the old Cork-Dublin road. Nice hotel with a really good coffee station as well as a full selection of bar food etc etc

This is Ireland, I have no doubt that the vested interests who owned existing traditional stops on the old N roads had a quick word in someone's ear, so they were overlooked.

Ireland - Government of the Vested Interests, By the Vested Interests for the Vested Interests and screw the people!

PS : Please stop voting for crooks. The only explanation is that the electorate are completely thick or sadomasochists !

Anybody who thinks building service stops on Motorways is a good idea has never looked at the economics of it.

Far better to sign post off motorways for existing businesses.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be far too clever to build them at the same time as the road ? What sort of gangster run place do we have ? A tram system that doesn't join up. A tunnel that is not high enough. We cannot be trusted to do anything intelligent as everything seems to be run by cronyism to create jobs and business opportunities for friends and family of our political "masters".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    Anybody who thinks building service stops on Motorways is a good idea has never looked at the economics of it.

What about rest-rooms?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great news. I was in Finland last month where they have an extensive network of motorways and a service station/restaurant every 25kms. Fantastic set up. I could never understand the logic here; particularly when the country was awash with money and builders, that we could not do the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I havent looked at the economics of it but common sense would indicate its going to do well.
    Any of the ones I have used in the UK have been very busy at all times of day and night.
    And full of chains like Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc - these companies would all be there if they werent making money
    Small service stations with one or two staff seem to be able to survive almost anywhere around Ireland
    Add a large car and truck parking area, a tea or coffee machine and a toilet and you are there.
    But either way its stupid and dangerous to build a national motorway network without service and rest areas.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They were told not to put any service stations on our motorways. That is what lobby groups are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Why so?
    Capital cost of building, cost of getting the infrastructure in, cost of running the place and prices needed to charge to attempt to make it viable.

There are existing business with 1-2km off most exits so why not signpost to them.

I love the oft spouted idea that because Motorways save you time you don't want to waste it leaving the Motorway, i kinda wonder what people do with all that supposedly saved time.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast