Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceann Comhairle’s confidential conversations end up in a government memo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Ceann Comhairle’s confidential conversations end up in a government memo

There have been a lot of angry voices (almost all of them Fianna Fail) on the air since the putative demise of John O’Donoghue. Now Harry McGee has seen a memo which throws some detailed light on Eamon Gilmore’s manoeuvring before opening the trapdoor under Mr O’Donoghue the other day… What’s remarkable about it is that this “internal memo prepared for Government” contains confidential details of what passed in two telephone conversations between the Ceann Comhairle and the Leader of the Labour Party. Here’s the guts of the memo from Harry’s article:

“He informed [Gilmore] that he had just then received in his office a notice from Sinn Féin of a motion calling on the Ceann Comhairle to resign.

“The Ceann Comhairle also assured Deputy Gilmore that the reports in the [ media] were in several respects inaccurate and misleading. He then requested that rather than do anything precipitous, that he would afford the Ceann Comhairle the opportunity of putting his case before the Oireachtas Commission the following evening.”
    The memo states that Gilmore said he would think about what O’Donoghue had said and would phone back. Shortly after that Gilmore did come back and said he had spoken with a number of people. According to the memo,
    he did not think that O’Donoghue would survive - that “it was not looking good”. States the memo: “The Ceann Comhairle reiterated, with greater emphasis, that the press coverage of his information released . . . was in many respects incorrect and misleading.”
    The memo says O’Donoghue asked again for an opportunity to put his case to the commission. “
    He pointed out that he was not asking for any special favour and was only asking for the same respect and rights as would be afforded to any citizen under the Constitution.
    “He said that he was merely asking for natural justice and the right to be heard in his own defence.

“Deputy Gilmore said that he would ‘chew on it’ and that he would ring back. The conversation then ended. There were no further telephone calls,” it concludes.

Labour yesterday confirmed that there had been two conversations, the first of which had been initiated by O’Donoghue. However, the party said the content of the conversations were private, other than letting it be known that Gilmore left him in no doubt about his views but did not go into tactics.
    read the full piece Slugger O'Toole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More FF attempts to muddy the issue. I'm sure I'm not the only one concerned how private conversations between the CC and the Leader of an Opposition party got into an official government note, the contents of which were then leaked. Dirty dealings by FF in government buildings no doubt.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Avon Barksdale View Post

It casts more doubt on Gilmore's version of events

Which is what?

This seems to point that Gilmore call for the resignation reluctantly and that his hand was forced by SF and that the dáil antics were just theatre for public consumption.

This is hard to believe. The people are disgusted by politicians lining their coats with expenses. There should be no reluctance to call for JOD’s resignation

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brian Cowen making statements about dancing on the grave etc and all this other smoke screen stuff is all to damage the character of Eamon Gilmore.

He did the right thing. I am glad this happened in an open public way. Pity more don't do the same.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is silly. Gilmore gave no undertaking to O'D that he didn't deliver on.

What is it implied that O'Donohue expected of him? That Gilmore wait till the Shinners were in the spotlight and then line up behind them? Or that exactly when Gilmore was going to get up on his hind legs in the Dáil and declare his lack of confidence in the CC?

Pathetic attempt to throw it back at Gilmore. Won't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More messing from FF, trying to let on JOD did not get a fair hearing etc. JOD rode the system, he is getting a massive payoff, taxpayer shaFFted again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well done Eamon Gilmore. Now to get rid of the rest of the self serving FF clowns.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bradán feasa View Post
    This seems to point that Gilmore call for the resignation reluctantly and that his hand was forced by SF and that the dáil antics were just theatre for public consumption.

This is hard to believe. The people are disgusted by politicians lining their coats with expenses. There should be no reluctance to call for JOD’s resignation
    Bein' funny, bradán feasa ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fair play to Gilmore and the Shinners

About time somebody disrupted the "club" up there in Leinster House - apparently he is going to be unpopular in the house with "everybody" for doing what he did - Don't worry Eamon - I and about 2 million of my fellow citizens will go for a pint with you anytime.

Out of touch - if another FFer after Ahern,Groucho,Cullen and Ned O Sullivan comes on the radio or TV again.............saying he was a great "public servant" , "dedicated" "Tireless in the cause" and any more of this flowery sanctimonious bull^sh^t about O Donoughue - I'll swing for them - if there was anymore proof that they have lost the country......................

As for my own crowd...............Fine Gael have been made look like total cowardly amateurs by Gilmore (not the Labour party may I add) - The country is looking for blood and radical reform and Kenny starts worrying about "due process" in the Dail - FFS - do you want to be Taoiseach or assistant Leader of the opposition? - time for Fgers to start looking very critically at the situation - as I've said elsewhere - Im starting to get the whiff of the Irish Home Rule Party circa 1914 off Fine Gael currently - they've done all the hard work, were the good boys, followed the rules , were nice to everybody and just when it seems to be their day.............Whoosh....... events totally overtake them and they're left stunned and thinking about what could have been - Unless FG get Kenny to go for the good of the party - he's damaged goods and he never performs at the moment you need him to - Thanks very much but we have to move on - and get seriously radical about institutional reform and start matching the peoples mood and appetite for radical change - start leading rather than reacting and getting all the front bench working at their peak - I believe that Kenny has lost the confidence of the front bench - if not most of the parliamentary party - but nobody can say it cos the conservative "grassroots" love him - until somebody better comes along with the "killer" instinct and ruthlesness and grasp of the strategic that Kenny clear does not possess.

Its a good thing that only Irish Citizens can run for the dail - given the choice between the current occupants and 166 turnips - it could be a very close run thing with the atmosphere in the country - only Gilmore is reflecting this and if anything the terrible "media" are only slightly reflecting it in newsprint - "witch hunt" me arse - if ya want a real witchhunt....................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast