Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ervines family, on Gerry Adams.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default David Ervines family, on Gerry Adams.

One of their sons, Mark, said that what the family wanted was for the display of goodwill shown at the funeral to be harnessed and help build a "true peace"....
    "When Gerry Adams left the church there was not a word, not a sound, the people from that community respected that Gerry Adams was able to come and pay his respects, and they respected the man for doing it, I think," he said.

Jeanette said that on that day, implacable opposites had come together under one roof to share the family's grief and she praise Mr Adams for attending.
    "I thought he was very brave in doing that - coming into a Protestant heartland, he could never have known the reception he would have received," she said.

"I thought that was great generosity of spirit.

"He did it I imagine without thinking of himself, out of respect for David and to sympathise with his family and I thought that was really big of him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6271919.stm
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default David Ervine's family

I think it naive in the extreme to think that Gerry Adams and Alex Maskie attended the funeral out of 'respect' for David. Everything Sinn Fein-IRA has done for the past few years has been calculated to show how apparently dedicated the organisation is to the so-called 'peace process'. This is all part of the propogandistic process of softening up the British Government and the pro-Union population in Northern Ireland. Well done Gerry and Alex, you pulled off a major coup, and unfortunately duped many people in Northern Ireland. However, you cannot fool all of us all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe it showed strength of character on the part of Adams et al and couldn't have been considered a few years ago. It also demonstarted to the loyalist community that, for the want of a better phrase, 'the rgeat and the good' came to pay respects to a loyalist heartland that all too often found itself on the fringes off this peace process (for whatever reason).

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: David Ervine's family

Quote Originally Posted by cruithin
    I think it naive in the extreme to think that Gerry Adams and Alex Maskie attended the funeral out of 'respect' for David. Everything Sinn Fein-IRA has done for the past few years has been calculated to show how apparently dedicated the organisation is to the so-called 'peace process'. This is all part of the propogandistic process of softening up the British Government and the pro-Union population in Northern Ireland. Well done Gerry and Alex, you pulled off a major coup, and unfortunately duped many people in Northern Ireland. However, you cannot fool all of us all the time.
    Quite the bitter cruithin, aren't you. It's attitudes like yours that prolonged the slaughter for so long. No doubt you'd prefer a return to; the sledgehammer "Smash Sinn Fein" approach.
    I'm on the highway to hell.
    Bon Scott (July 9, 1946 February 19, 1980)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what about other republicans and members of the ROI they also had an evil sheme into why they attended.
    The way i see it is that David Ervine would have went to Gerry's Funeral,David Ervine's family found comfort in Gerry Being there, and if it does help to build bridges between protestants and republicans thats hardly a bad thing.
    Abstinence makes the Church grow fondlers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: David Ervine's family

Quote Originally Posted by cruithin
    seriously, this is getting really boring. i'm not a sinn fein fan at all. indeed, i am highly critical of them. however, here is david ervine's family trying to pay genuine tribute, and you have to get a dig in. give it a rest, we may as well give up if we follow your lead, and believe that shinners aren't even human!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cruithin View Post
    Negative, cynical, pessimistic and typically downbeat showing. Adam's venturing into East Belfast to attend the funeral a deceased Loyalist was a momentous step, and he could so easily have stayed away. David's wife welcomed him to pay his respects, the large number of UVF volunteers present respected her decision, and you simply reduce Adam's presence to a propaganda exercise and a publicity stunt. What a ****.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a six year old thread you've resurrected Willy. There's a fair chance the opening poster is dead himself.

When Gerry Adams finally pops the clogs it'll be interesting to see who attends (and who dosen't) his funeral. I'd be keen to go myself, providing my headache's gone from the night before.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    This is a six year old thread you've resurrected Willy. There's a fair chance the opening poster is dead himself.

When Gerry Adams finally pops the clogs it'll be interesting to see who attends (and who dosen't) his funeral. I'd be keen to go myself, providing my headache's gone from the night before.
    Bilko, you are smarter than that. This funeral was a telling moment. Not massive, but the small things make your NI a better place. No?
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

QUOTE=SgtBilko;7199042]This is a six year old thread you've resurrected Willy. There's a fair chance the opening poster is dead himself.
    Wishful thinking.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. I can't see there being a huge turnout from within Unionism, with many viewing his grave as a toilet. However, it must be noted that Gusty Spence attended the funeral of an IRA man, and sent his widow a letter of condolence, as he was a one time British soldier, and respected the enemy.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast