Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Speed limit for Dublin streets

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New Speed limit for Dublin streets

Dublin city centre speed limits reduced

Dublin Corporation has approved the reduction of speed limits on city centre roads from 50kph to 30kph.

The measure, which is designed to make the roads safer for cyclists and pedestrians, was approved by a large majority of councillors at a meeting last night.

The roads affected will now have a maximum speed limit of 30kph at all times of the day and night.
    Is it possible to drive at 30kph for extended periods, does your attention not naturally wander when driving at little over jogging pace.
    Regards, Pat Gill

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A highly stupid decision. It's more than likely an "EU" diktat.
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

Comdt. General Thomas Maguire

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fiannafailure View Post
    Is it possible to drive at 30kph for extended periods, does your attention not naturally wander when driving at little over jogging pace.
    Presumably Dublin City Council having made a total pig's ear of it, by increasing congestion everywhere else around the closed college green "bus gate" (since when is DCC owned by Dublin Bus?), the congestion along the quays and Pearse st has increased badly due to the idiotic "bus gate", has now decided to screw things up further with a 30km limit.

Perhaps when the Gardai are diverted from their abnormally ineffective policing of Dublin's street crime, drug dealing etc and have new opportunities to penalise any motorist travelling at 1km an hour above the speed limit, that the Gardai's takings will be split with DCC

It will have bugger all effect in increasing road safety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

should this topic not be in the transport forum?

BTW, I agree, 30kph is too slow, there would be cyclists routinely breaking the speed limit. 50kph is fine if it's done sensibly, but from my experience in Dublin City Centre, it's a race from traffic light to traffic light. It's the fast accelleration that endangers other road users, not just the top speed (as it doesn't give slower pedestrians time to get out of the way)

This would require active policing, gardai on the streets pulling over drivers who are acting recklessly
    Actual morality is doing what is right regardless of what you're told. Religious morality is doing what you're told, regardless of if it's right.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's next? Decrease to walking pace?
    Wrong strategy to slow to the lowest common denominator.
    Segregate the fast and slow traffic. Cyclists and trucks should not be on the same patch of tarmac - it's lunacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Risteard View Post
    A highly stupid decision. It's more than likely an "EU" diktat.
    It's not. It is entirely home-grown domestic stupidity. You can't blame "Europe". Sorry for pouring cold piss on the flames of your enthusiasm to blame "Europe" for the moronic behaviour of domestic councillors.
    Fianna Fail - The Loss of Sovereignty Party.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will find if you look at the stats that average speeds on the Dublin streets are lower than 30 kph. Akrasia is right - the speeds are with people accelerating mindlessly between lights. Better traffic light co-ordination would be very helpful in reducing the temptation to do that - it should be possible to drive continuously through several green lights if they are properly automated and timed.

I support the change 100% and think it should be reinforced by changes to the roads -the "naked street" approach of taking away signs and road markings has worked very well elsewhere in Europe.

At speeds of 30 kph hardly any pedestrians and cyclists die in crashes. At 50 kph it is hard to survive. The benefits will be enormous. More people will feel safe to cycle.

Just relax and listen to Newstalk.

Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is already in place around the Green. And they police it with Hairdryers. So be warned.

I actually think this is a very good idea in areas with lots of pedestrians. If you can do 30kmph in D2/D1 you are doing well, so this should be no hardship and will stop the "point and squirt" driving in the city.

The safety logic behind this stuff is that hitting a pedestrian or cyclist is far less likely to be lethal at that speed than at 50Kmph. I think the energy contained in a car is a function of the speed squared.

I'd also like to see it in semi-pedestrianised zones.

By the way, has the College Green car ban been lifted or is it just being ignored? Nassau Street was gridlocked with passenger cars yesterday evening. No buses could get through..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'm looking forward to when a driver must employ a person to walk in front of the car waving a red flag, like they did back in 1900's.

i heard a story, not sure if its true, that a crowd who won the traffic light system tender realised very close to the delivery date that it wouldn't work (this was back in the 1970s) so set a fire in a few of the traffic management boxes the night before it was switched on...and that the subsequent blame for it not working was placed on the "fires". it was relayed to me by someone who spent years in the infrastructure depts of dublin corporation.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast