Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A new union - Ireland and Scotland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A new union - Ireland and Scotland

This isn't really foreign affairs, but there isn't a constitutional section of the forum.
    And the point I'm hoping to make is that Scotland isn't really foreign, but is really extremely similar in culture and mentality to Ireland.
    With Scotland finally on the brink of a political break with the English, one they have long sought and long deserved, and with Ireland suffering from both partition and ongoing gombeen governance, is it possible we could solve all the problems in one fell swoop with a single bold move - a political alliance with Scotland?
    In short, what do people feel about a new form of unionism, the union of Scotland and Ireland?

Skin Flicks: Let's ditch England
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Of course Scotland's foreign (and yes, I do know what scoti means.

Ireland for the Irish. Scotland for the Scottish.
    "I hereby declare that the Continuity Executive and the Continuity Army Council are the lawful Executive and Army Council respectively of the Irish Republican Army, and that the governmental authority, delegated in the Proclamation of 1938, now resides in the Continuity Army Council, and its lawful successors."

Comdt. General Thomas Maguire

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkinner View Post
    This isn't really foreign affairs, but there isn't a constitutional section of the forum.
    And the point I'm hoping to make is that Scotland isn't really foreign, but is really extremely similar in culture and mentality to Ireland.
    With Scotland finally on the brink of a political break with the English, one they have long sought and long deserved, and with Ireland suffering from both partition and ongoing gombeen governance, is it possible we could solve all the problems in one fell swoop with a single bold move - a political alliance with Scotland?
    In short, what do people feel about a new form of unionism, the union of Scotland and Ireland?

Scotland might well have far less in common culturally and in mentality with Ireland than England. Maybe Ireland should wake up to reality and should break with this idea of ancient 'celtic' harmony. Its just a sports brand, wake up. And of course there already is a union of sorts of Ireland and Scotland - the unionist state of Northern Ireland, the majority of which want to be ruled by the Queen. Best thing we could do is get pragmatic within the EU and stop this islander 'celtic' charade for good.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I've got the lunatic republican fringe and the even more lunatic eurofederalists united in disagreeing, it seems I might be onto something here!
    Please sign the petition to establish a national day of celebration in honour of the vision of the United Irishmen!
    United Irishmen Day Petition
    Skinflicks blog
    Rep abuse illustrated

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If I've got the lunatic republican fringe and the even more lunatic eurofederalists united in disagreeing, it seems I might be onto something here!
    Specially if your selling celtic AND rangers jerseys Gimme a break

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Gaelic scots were effectively wiped out in th highland clearances.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about a union of Ireland and Disneyland? that way we really could have a mickey mouse union.. And a mickey mouse government oh hang on, sorry we have that already

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anamnua View Post
    The Gaelic scots were effectively wiped out in th highland clearances.
    Not if we all come home again ,
    and bring our Irish side with us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but is really extremely similar in culture and mentality to Ireland.
    Things like 'culture and mentality' are almost impossible to define.

Yes, much of the traditional music, dance etc are very similar in both countries, and some (by no means all) Scots use to speak almost the same language as the Irish used to speak. But how much does this have to do with contemporary society? As for 'mentality', some would say it's very different, what with Scotland being a staunchly Presbyterian country. Although most Scots now are not religious, the associated 'mentality' remains. Add to that the fact that a small but vocal minority of Scots are committed unionists and positively dislike Ireland and everything associated with it. These Scots see themselves as having far more in common with England than with Ireland, and perhaps they're right.

Umm.

I don't think Scotland's first act upon becoming autonomous would be to enter another union. That is what they have with the British, strictly speaking.

Talf of a similar 'culture' and 'mentality' is quite misleading.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast