Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The North Strand Bombing 1941

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The North Strand Bombing 1941

Hoping this is the right place to post ?

I'm wondering if posters would have any old photographs of the North Strand bombing in Dublin in May 1941. Or unwanted newspapers from the period ?

There is an extensive collection on the National Archive site, but I'm looking for any from private collections that might be out there ?

Mods delete/move this thread if necessary.
    I'd rather make furniture than go to midnight mass....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You should be interested in this North Strand Bombings exhibition

And some photos there North Strand Bombing Reminiscences

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mmrebel View Post
    You should be interested in this North Strand Bombings exhibition

And some photos there North Strand Bombing Reminiscences
    great links mmrebel thanks for those
    I'd rather make furniture than go to midnight mass....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[

Weren;t there rumours the Nazis had done the bombing deliberately, to frighten
    Ireland into staying neutral?

Quote Originally Posted by Lao-Tse View Post
    [

FFS, thats just boll1x, if the germans had wanted to frighten us there were far more effective ways of doing same as opposed to bombing an area of dublin by error and then paying for the damages.....

unless of course they believed the rumors about the Supreme Allied Command HQ being in a secret bunker accessed only via Mrs Murphys pantry and it was thus a legitimate target

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wasn't there also information released saying that the bombing was deliberate. Supposedly there was large amounts of British Soldiers and civil servants traveling by train frequently from Connolly to Belfast. Blowing the crap out of North Strand put a stop to it. I heard that one second hand, how reliable it is I don't know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lao-Tse View Post
    [

The story is that the bombing was in response to de Valera sending fire brigades up to Belfast when that city was bombed - with the Germans viewing that act as a breach of Irish neutrality. Of course they claimed it was an accident, and that they'd been aiming at Liverpool - but it was a clear night, and it doesn't take a genius to know that if you're coming from Germany, with Liverpool the sea is on the left, whereas with Dublin its on the right.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did the Irish Air Corps engage the Nazi planes?
    A historical truth taken out of context can be as deceptive as an outright fabrication.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marcsignal View Post
    Hoping this is the right place to post ?

I'm wondering if posters would have any old photographs of the North Strand bombing in Dublin in May 1941. Or unwanted newspapers from the period ?

There is an extensive collection on the National Archive site, but I'm looking for any from private collections that might be out there ?

Mods delete/move this thread if necessary.
    My thesis in my final year was on the North Strand bombing of 1941. I have extensive contacts/relations/eye-witnesses to the tragic event. I wrote 10,000 sourced and proven words on the subject. I have copies of St. Agatha's Church newsletter from the era and I've been to the Military Museum to read actual documents from the aftermath. I've been asked to write a book on the subject but sources are so limited it would not be easy.

Bottom line, PM me and I'll help in any way I can (including a hard-back copy of my thesis).
    Racism = fear, low self-esteem and breath-taking ignorance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For anyone interested, and Marcsignal I think you might know already.... try Dublin.ie, arts and culture forum, old Dublin photos. Includes North Strand bombing photos.

Hundreds of brilliant old photos of Dublin from many contributors, for those interested. Beware, it is addictive!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast