Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Winston Churchill

Default Winston Churchill

I'm reading Roy Jenkins' excellent biography of the great man at the moment, and I thought I'd start a general thread on WSC.

So, what do the good people of politics.ie think of him? Irish Republicans, Unionists, admirers and detractors of empire, share your thoughts!

His oratory was stupendous, as were his literary abilities. According to Jenkins, he completed 70,000 words of his History of the English Speaking Peoples in four weeks - this during the late 1930s.

He appears to have warmed significantly to Michael Collins, and his wife Clementine urged him during the Treaty negotiations to put himself "in the place of the Irish."

He was a master of one-liners, a good example being in Canada in December 1941 where a journalist asked how soon the war would end. "If we manage it well," he said, "it will be over twice as quickly than if we manage it badly." 8)

A courageous and honorable politician. And an interesting person.
    LICENTIA LOQUENDI

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antagoniser
    Was he that honorable? He was what he was, a cocksure, well healed but brilliant journalist/writer and publiscist. His propaganda worked wonders but his militarystrategy left a lot to be desired.
    "They take away our freedom in the name of liberty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have just read an interesting book "Churchill And Ireland" that describes the huge regard Churchill had for Ireland.

As mentioned he had huge respect for Collins. He also held Kevin O'Higgins in high regard, referring him as “a figure from antiquity cast in bronze”.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by antagoniser
    Churchill was an extremely anti-Irish Conservative. Who wanted to use planes to drop bombs on Dublin and Cork cities during the Tan War.

Not very courageous or honourable? He was also the British Minister who forced dedicated T.D.s' to sign the Treaty in 1921 - under the threat of War!
    "Our revenge will be the laughter of our children"
    Oglach. Bobby Sands M.P.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was a war criminal and ordered the killing of 150000 civilians in Dresden by bombing them to death.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist
    He was a war criminal and ordered the killing of 150000 civilians in Dresden by bombing them to death.
    According to Joseph Goebbels, the DDR, David Irving, Cain (politics.ie's most intelligent poster), the neo-Nazi NPD and now Zeitgeist.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by asteroid
    I'm reading Roy Jenkins' excellent biography of the great man at the moment, and I thought I'd start a general thread on WSC.

So, what do the good people of politics.ie think of him? Irish Republicans, Unionists, admirers and detractors of empire, share your thoughts!
    You might be interested in this debate.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo
    According to Joseph Goebbels, the DDR, David Irving, Cain (politics.ie's most intelligent poster), the neo-Nazi NPD and now Zeitgeist.
    What are your numbers Pogo? The internationally accepted death figure of women and children is 150000. Most historians put this figure even higher as far as 300000.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pogo
    What are your numbers Pogo? The internationally accepted death figure of women and children is 150000. Most historians put this figure even higher as far as 300000.
    Certainly less than 40,000. Probably significantly less. There was a discussion about this in the link above.

I have little desire to do the research again.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast