Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group

Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group - Telegraph

President Sarkozy and the Conservative Leader were involved in a series of heated exchanges after Mr Cameron left the European People's Party, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Mr Sarkozy is said to have told Mr Cameron: "C'est fou, il se fait mal ŗ la tÍte," meaning "It's stupid, you're giving yourself a headache."

Senior sources in Brussels revealed the exchanges which took place in the wake of Mr Cameron's pulling his Conservative MEPs out of the centre-right EPP grouping in June in order to fulfil a pledge made during his leadership campaign in 2005.

The decision went down badly with other mainstream European leaders including Angela Merkel of Germany, who threatened to withhold co-operation from the Conservatives.

Ms Merkel's Christian Democrat Union party recalled its London representative Thomas Stehling to Germany in protest at the move.

Everything Iíve read about Cameron makes me mistrust him when it comes to European affairs. However, the fact that he has pulled out of the EPP is certainly something that British voters can be pleased about. He promised it almost four years ago and pressure is now on him to promise a Lisbon referendum whether it has been enforced or not.
    The next year will be quite interesting.
    Mehhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Daily Torygraph willfully mistranslates the words of the French President. The French phrase "c'est fou" means "that's mad" in exaclty the same way the phrase would be used in Ireland, or Britain for that matter.

More innacurate reporting by a europhobic, English nationalist newspaper to put the worst spin on Sarko's comments to Cameron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah; really don't care about the source. It's the facts that count. The conservatives have left the EPP.
    Mehhh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mothball View Post
    Nicolas Sarkozy told David Cameron he was 'stupid' for pulling out of European group - Telegraph

President Sarkozy and the Conservative Leader were involved in a series of heated exchanges after Mr Cameron left the European People's Party, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

Mr Sarkozy is said to have told Mr Cameron: "C'est fou, il se fait mal ŗ la tÍte," meaning "It's stupid, you're giving yourself a headache."

Senior sources in Brussels revealed the exchanges which took place in the wake of Mr Cameron's pulling his Conservative MEPs out of the centre-right EPP grouping in June in order to fulfil a pledge made during his leadership campaign in 2005.

The decision went down badly with other mainstream European leaders including Angela Merkel of Germany, who threatened to withhold co-operation from the Conservatives.

Ms Merkel's Christian Democrat Union party recalled its London representative Thomas Stehling to Germany in protest at the move.

Everything Iíve read about Cameron makes me mistrust him when it comes to European affairs. However, the fact that he has pulled out of the EPP is certainly something that British voters can be pleased about. He promised it almost four years ago and pressure is now on him to promise a Lisbon referendum whether it has been enforced or not.
    The next year will be quite interesting.
    Change your title. The translation is "It's crazy, he's giving himself a headache"...

Pinched from Wikipaedia:

Chamberlain landed at Heston Aerodrome on 30 September 1938, and spoke to the crowds there:

"...the settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine (waves paper to the crowd - receiving loud cheers and "Hear Hears"). Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you (proceeds to read the agreement). [...] We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement, as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again."[3]

Later that day he stood outside Number 10 Downing Street and again read from the document and concluded:

"My good friends, this is the second time in our history that there has come back from Germany to Downing Street peace with honour. I believe it is peace for our time [emphasis added]. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And now I recommend you to go home and sleep quietly in your beds."
    You can fool some of the people some of the time....

Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fou means crazy, not stupid
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[QUOTE=mothball;2160580
    The next year will be quite interesting.[/QUOTE]

In the end I decided to vote yes to Lisbon because I noticed how people like Ganley and Nigel Farrage, who wouldn't normally give a fig about the Irish people were expending such energy on getting us to vote no. Likewise with the Murdoch newspapers.

My reasoning was to put the ball in the British court and let them block Lisbon if they wish.

It's Cameron's headache now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadan O'Connor View Post

My reasoning was to put the ball in the British court and let them block Lisbon if they wish.

It's Cameron's headache now!
    The Brits are basically hostile to the EU as anything other than a free trade area. Our interests are not the same as the UK's and most Irish people see the EU as being a positive influence.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    The Brits are basically hostile to the EU as anything other than a free trade area. Our interests are not the same as the UK's and most Irish people see the EU as being a positive influence.
    that is all should ever have been... this hugely expensive, rudderless, directionless gravey-train should have been put to the sword by now. it is a self serving black hole for european tax-payers money. a trade area was good enough. nada mas porfaaaaa!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The Bloody Butcher

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DizzyOC View Post
    that is all should ever have been... this hugely expensive, rudderless, directionless gravey-train should have been put to the sword by now. it is a self serving black hole for european tax-payers money. a trade area was good enough. nada mas porfaaaaa!
    That is a minority view in this country but you're free to try and persuade people that you're correct.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member FutureTaoiseach's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Typical of that arrogant bully Sarkozy.
    In the end I decided to vote yes to Lisbon because I noticed how people like Ganley and Nigel Farrage, who wouldn't normally give a fig about the Irish people were expending such energy on getting us to vote no. Likewise with the Murdoch newspapers.
    Ganley is Irish. We had a referendum on what Irishnes was in the Citizenship referendum, and Ganley falls into that category as do probably 500,000 Irish citizens born abroad to Irish parents. Irishness is an ethnicity, and it is not racist to say that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast