Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Justine McCarthy - Deep Deception - Swimming Paedophile Ring?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Malbekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Carrickmines
    Posts
    2,972
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Justine McCarthy - Deep Deception - Swimming Paedophile Ring?

    You know, even when you get older and a lot harder and more cynical, there are still some things out there that really make you mad.

    Article in the Sunday Times being a timely reminder about the sewer that was the upper echelon of the various swimming bodies in Ireland in the 80's and 90's. What disgusts me is not just the rampant paedophiles like George Gibney and Derry O'Rourke, but the protection that was afforded to them by the various sports bodies and schools they were involved in.

    You can read more about this story and the few brave individuals who stood to these scum and the authorities that protected them here:

    Justine McCarthy's Deep Deception book gives abuse victims a voice - Times Online
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    and it doesnt end there.......many more 'sporting/youth organisations', it seems, were the home of people actively involved in the support of activities which were not in the interests of children through the 80's and 90's........

    and you have to ask the question.....where are they now?.....and what threat do they pose?.....and who really cares?.......

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    That should be read. My respect for O'Toole just shot up. Ostracisation is very tough to deal with. Respect to the whistleblowers.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Andrew49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    On the 99th floor of my block.
    Posts
    6,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    That should be read. My respect for O'Toole just shot up. Ostracisation is very tough to deal with. Respect to the whistleblowers.
    Powerful book.

    When Karen Leach spoke last Monday night at the launch of Deep Deception: Ireland’s Swimming Scandals, the audience wept. The former competitive swimmer recalled the many times she attempted suicide because of the crimes her coach, Derry O’Rourke, committed against her when she was a child.

    She talked about being in a secure unit of St John of God Hospital in Dublin one Friday night eight years ago and seeing Colm O’Gorman, the founder of the sexual abuse charity One in Four, who was sexually assaulted by Fr Sean Fortune in Ferns, on The Late Late Show. She made two resolutions that night: that she would live, and that, some day, she too would speak out.

    Listening in the audience was the mother of a young woman whose life has been frozen for nearly 20 years because of what another swim coach did. The mother came because the daughter could not, having been released two days earlier from a psychiatric hospital. When she was 17 and one of the brightest swimming stars around, she was raped and imprisoned in a Florida hotel room by George Gibney. In the years since, she has tried drowning, overdosing, starving and cutting herself.

    When gardai called to her home to say the DPP had decided not to charge Gibney with her rape, she went to a field and hanged herself from a tree with a scarf. A priest found her before it was too late.

    Frank McCann : To catapult himself into the most powerful position in the administration of the sport, he murdered his wife, Esther, and his 18-month-old niece, Jessica, by setting fire to the family home while they slept. He did it to stop swimming’s hierarchy from finding out that he had made an underage swimmer with special needs pregnant.

    Deep Deception book gives abuse victims a voice

    Could the mods merge this thread with this thread?:

    Deep Deception book gives abuse victims voice
    I watched with glee, while your kings and queens, fought for ten decades for the gods they made.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Cork City
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I very nearly had to put this down this morning. Horrifying stuff. When it comes to the care of children being placed in the hands of "respectable" and largely unquestionable elements of society, Ireland's record is fairly depressing.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member netron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    When Bennett was convicted on charges of sexually abusing boys, he got a five-year suspended sentence. On appeal by the DPP, he was sentenced to a year in custody. On release last January, he had served 10 months.
    Derry O’Rourke was convicted on 55 charges of abusing 18 girls, with cumulative jail sentences of 130 years, making him Ireland’s most convicted paedophile. He had served nine years when he was released from the Midlands Prison on March 1, 2007.
    i cant help wondering - are the judicary involved? why the lenient sentences? who are they covering up for?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Newbie Aj1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    76
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49 View Post
    Powerful book.

    When Karen Leach spoke last Monday night at the launch of Deep Deception: Ireland’s Swimming Scandals, the audience wept. The former competitive swimmer recalled the many times she attempted suicide because of the crimes her coach, Derry O’Rourke, committed against her when she was a child.

    She talked about being in a secure unit of St John of God Hospital in Dublin one Friday night eight years ago and seeing Colm O’Gorman, the founder of the sexual abuse charity One in Four, who was sexually assaulted by Fr Sean Fortune in Ferns, on The Late Late Show. She made two resolutions that night: that she would live, and that, some day, she too would speak out.

    Listening in the audience was the mother of a young woman whose life has been frozen for nearly 20 years because of what another swim coach did. The mother came because the daughter could not, having been released two days earlier from a psychiatric hospital. When she was 17 and one of the brightest swimming stars around, she was raped and imprisoned in a Florida hotel room by George Gibney. In the years since, she has tried drowning, overdosing, starving and cutting herself.

    When gardai called to her home to say the DPP had decided not to charge Gibney with her rape, she went to a field and hanged herself from a tree with a scarf. A priest found her before it was too late.

    Frank McCann : To catapult himself into the most powerful position in the administration of the sport, he murdered his wife, Esther, and his 18-month-old niece, Jessica, by setting fire to the family home while they slept. He did it to stop swimming’s hierarchy from finding out that he had made an underage swimmer with special needs pregnant.

    Deep Deception book gives abuse victims a voice

    Could the mods merge this thread with this thread?:

    Deep Deception book gives abuse victims voice
    Why would someone hang themselves,it would make more sense to kill the abuser then kill themselves.
    Economic Left/Right: 6.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.56
    Tiocfaidh Ár Lá
    ROI 1936-2009
    UDA ALL THE WAY
    up the 'ra

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member The Caped Cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,595
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aj1990 View Post
    Why would someone hang themselves,it would make more sense to kill the abuser then kill themselves.
    Because it's not about revenge, it's about living with the abuse. Or not being able to, as the case may be.
    "Authority that cannot be questioned is tyranny and I will not accept tyranny, any tyranny, even that of heaven."
    - Terry Pratchett

  9. #9

    Default

    I noticed this book on the shelves as I was about to board a plane recently and grabbed a copy. After spending over a decade in a couple of the clubs mentioned in the book when I was a kid Id heard alot of the early rumours before the full waters broke back in early '93. At that stage I was coming to the end of my time swimming. It took me about a day to read the book. Couldnt put it down.

    As mentioned before serious respect goes to both Gary and Aiden O'Toole for their efforts to bring the horrific actions of both George Gibney and Derry O'Rouke to the attention of the IASA and more importantly, the parents of the swimmers still training at the effected clubs and teams. Additionally I think the attitude of Bart Nolan (both Snr and Jnr) is a fair representation of some of the people who spent their childhoods swimming around this time.

    Having been on a couple of the training events mentioned in the book, to those effected - whether they came forward or not, Id say - sorry for not being more aware of what the hell was going on. As a 15/16 year old boy at the time Id really no idea, but as I read the book memories of peoples attitudes and actions during those trips nearly 20 years ago came back pretty quickly. The lives they've been left to lead is horrific and for some there seems there'll be no justice.

    As mentioned in the book - a chef that lifted 3 paintings from a Dublin restaurant was extradited from the U.S. A child molester that imprisoned and raped a 17 year old girl and continued to systematically manipulate all around for years is never brought back to face charges. What justice is there for the victims of George Gibney ? What message does this send to victims of sexual abuse in this country ?

    To coincide with the publication of this book the Trojan website has been updated. The archived gallery of photo's from all the old training camps (including the club trips to Florida) and gala's are not available anymore. Id like to think this was a coincidence or done to stop speculation as opposed to hiding things under the carpet, again.

  10. #10

    Default

    A thread like this shows that the oft mentioned and pushed idea that it was only the Catholic Clergy abusing kids was always being used as a stick with which to beat the church.

    Accepting the fact that abuse of kids has gone on in sporting clubs, care home and family homes is something people want to ignore because it doesn't suit their agenda.

    Think the fact that its only getting to page 2 after 2 weeks shows really what people think.

    If it had been Catholic Swimming Clubs then post 250 would already have been got to.

    Kudos to Interested 1 but as has been shown in other Paedophile scandals the perpetrators target the vulnerable and are good at hiding.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •