Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New National Children's Hospital in doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default New National Children's Hospital in doubt

The Children's hospital at Crumlin is pulling out of the National Children's hospital to be based at the Mater

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNCWSNQLID

It was also featured in Primetime tonight.

There are major issues with the handling of this issue.

Firstly, why are we not told in detail about why the Mater site was chosen at all.

I'm curious about how this facility is going to be 'world class' the HSE's own words when the research facility will be less than 2% the size of the Children's Hospital in Toronto. Again the HSE's own words

Since much of the new hospital is to be built in the car park of the Mater where are the existing cars going to go? Will people who currently access the adult Mater hospital start flying in? And where will people bringing their children for treatment park? Because the suggestion that people will use public transport is the stuff of someone who does not understand urban planning or transpot issues in Dublin. I lived very close to the Mater for a number of years and the idea that it is a suitable site for this type of expansion is barmy.

Anyone living in Dublin will find accessing the Mater seriously problematic.
    And people from outside of Dublin will drive to a station to get a train, then a Luas outside Heuston or Connolly, then a Metro to access the hospital and up escaltors again. This kind of terkking is almost farcial if it were not for the people at the heart of this. Critically ill children.

Explain to us Prof. Drumm how a family will a sick child will get on the Luas at Heuston when it so full most of time that the operator is jacking up prices to scalp rush hour travellers. Parents who then have to exit the Luas and travel down escalators into a Metro station right in the heart of Dublin.

And how about getting seat on a train into Dublin that is suitable for sick child or wheelchair users on an intercity stock that has seats that are completely imobile. And how much of the country is even serviced by a rail network.

If I was being purely political about this I'd be suggesting that near Beaumont was the place for this facility, but I think that the site suggested in the summer by the private group close to Tallaght hospital (as being proximate to an adult hospital was a key aspect according to the McKinsey report). It is close to the N7, and the upgraded M50 and the Luas. Why not build it there?

And why is Harney neither leading the charge to support this on Primetime or listening to what people are saying?
    Dan Sullivan. I was back but we still couldn't all have a vote. http://www.danielsullivan.ie/blog/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well its like this, KK -

1) Building something "world class" doesn't mean actually making it "world class". Its just a soundbite, there to impress people - its effectively undefineable.

2) Noted Brendan Drumm on Prime Time resolutely ignoring the point made about people coming up from outside Dublin to the hospital - instead he just droned on about the Luas.

3) Caught Drumm committing the cardinal sin of looking at his watch while the excellent Finn Breathnach was talking. Not a good move.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bad night for the Govt. This is one issue they cant afford to take a hit on.
    Also, Hanafin came across very badly on Primetime, when speaking on education for autistic children.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what amazes me is that FF/PD's are quite happy to buy a piece of land in North county Dublin for 3 times it's actual value for a bunch of prisoners, However when it comes to the health of the children of the nation they are quite happy to shove them into a small hospital with no parking facilities, no room for expansion and facilities for parents to stay over night with thier children.

I must say fair play to crumlin hospital, the only reason why that hospital was chosen was because it is Ahern's constituency, why don't this government ever get their priorities right. Roll on June, Roll out FF/PD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well done Crumlin.

It is time people stood up to FF stroke politics. The childrens hospital is being built in Dublin city centre to create employment in Ahern's constituency.

It should be built in the midlands.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi all..I too find the decision very strange indeed........personally I cannot see why anyone would rekon on the Mater site....and then its ethos.................Should right wing catholics ever again be trusted?....I think not........

This whole thing STINKS of BERTIEISM.................

Come clean Prof Drum...show the figures or start again......

Well done crumlin........

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oisin Quinn was excellent on this issue on Morning Ireland this morning.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White Horse
    Well done Crumlin.

It is time people stood up to FF stroke politics. The childrens hospital is being built in Dublin city centre to create employment in Ahern's constituency.

It should be built in the midlands.
    Are you ************************************g mad,A decision was made by government. All this talk of Bertie getting it in his constituency is baseless.

Harney has backed it and she wouldnt allow to go to Berties constituency for the sake of it.

The board of Crumlin are a disgrace,they are looking after their own jobs.

At the end of the day its is the Children who are the most important,not the workers.Unlike the Labour party mentality the hospital wasnt set up to keep their union pals in jobs.

The opposition should stop using this as a political football to get elected,eg Brian Hayes.

They give out about stalling on decisions in government,heres one that was made so stick by it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a major disaster in the making for the Government.

Watch the Bought Man try and squirm out of this one.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will FG and Labour reverse this decision if in govt?

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast