Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Has Brazil winning the 2016 Olympic Games damaged America`s recovery?

  1. #1
    Ex Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Around the Corner everyone has turned
    Posts
    3,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Has Brazil winning the 2016 Olympic Games damaged America`s recovery?

    Watching Obama today he made a very strong plea to host the Olympic games.

    Was he hoping America would win the hosting so he could embark on a massive building programme to stimulate the economy?

    Will this damage America or not really matter?

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Lloyd-Apjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Rubbish there was never a hope in hell of them going to the US or Europe - in 2020 they'll go to Cape Town. There is no need for a Summer Olympics to be in Europe until at least 2028

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    86
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I'd have thought having the Olympics in an american country would speed it's recovery.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin and Athens
    Posts
    305
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle View Post
    I'd have thought having the Olympics in an american country would speed it's recovery.
    It is in an American country. Brazil is in South America.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Watching Obama today he made a very strong plea to host the Olympic games.

    Was he hoping America would win the hosting so he could embark on a massive building programme to stimulate the economy?

    Will this damage America or not really matter?

    What recovery? If they have allocated 25 Trillion dollars to save the financial system from collapse thats still not working, hosting the olympics would be a liability to them.

    England's economy is going down the tube, and they have their's in 3 years time.
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

  6. #6
    Ex Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Around the Corner everyone has turned
    Posts
    3,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    What recovery? If they have allocated 25 Trillion dollars to save the financial system from collapse thats still not working, hosting the olympics would be a liability to them.

    England's economy is going down the tube, and they have their's in 3 years time.

    Ive heard a few people say that without the Olympics Britains une,ployment would and should be a lot higher.

    I even think a lot of the Irish have gone over there to work aswell.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Chicago spent 30 million dollars on their bid. Its an obscene waste. Chicago is an industrial waste land. Brazil is up and coming and has beaches. No contest.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Got it in one Bi ciuin thats exactly what he was hoping for,didn't work.It makes him look bad ,like the meddler that he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bi ciuin View Post
    Watching Obama today he made a very strong plea to host the Olympic games.

    Was he hoping America would win the hosting so he could embark on a massive building programme to stimulate the economy?

    Will this damage America or not really matter?
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Young Ned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,992
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    Chicago spent 30 million dollars on their bid. Its an obscene waste. Chicago is an industrial waste land. Brazil is up and coming and has beaches. No contest.
    Yeah, and a lot of that money went to pay people who lived in Chicago. Not having the Olympics won't harm a recovery; it just won't help. There's a big difference..

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Spot on there cactus,and it will help to clean up some of the Ghetto areas,people will get nicer places to live .
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusflower View Post
    Chicago spent 30 million dollars on their bid. Its an obscene waste. Chicago is an industrial waste land. Brazil is up and coming and has beaches. No contest.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •