Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unhappy with RTE radio

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unhappy with RTE radio

There are certain times every day when it is impossible to listen to speech based programmes on RTE radio with music on 1, 2FM and Lyric. The only alternative is to switch over to Newstalk, a commercial station.
    Every news bulletin is interrrupted noisily with an ad for whoever is currently sponsoring the weather.
    Also why do they have to have that horrible over the top intro music for the news, why not just the time pips?
    At night RTE repeats Liveline, ie it repeats a phone in programme as a filler.
    The few documentaries that they do make are excellent but mainly RTE 1s output consists of phone-ins, ronan collins type music and chat shows with people plugging books. And loads and loads of ads.
    I favour having a licence fee but that should mean no ads.
    I suggest they drop advertising on all RTE radio including 2fm and lyric and cutback on tv to pay for it. RTE2 tv was brought in for the people living in single channel land and has always been stuffed with foreign programming. They should axe it and put the savings into radio.

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's all symptomatic with what's wrong with RTE radio and TV at the present moment.
    A radio schedule that is poor, rubbish TV news music, titles and studio set and very very cheap indents between programs - pictures with the logo slapped on.
    Is this what the license fee is paid to produce the tripe we are experiencing at the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

they should also improve their signal which is very poor at times and hard to pick up.

I really only listen to the RTE News anyway. The 'Right Hook' is pretty good on Newstalk 106 but other than that I woildn't listen to the radio that much.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Right Hook is good,

If you want to listen to Sport, Bad Interviews, unchallenged opinions, biased line-ups, etc. There are at least two better national programmes at the same time. Hookie was good when he was a neophyte. He's lost his touch. Now he's just avoidable, IMHO.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Rubbish RTE Radio

I think that the general standard of RTE Programming has declined.

The stuff that is home produced is nothing short of tripe. There is a school of thought in RTE that seems to think that shows like Pure Mule (HEFT!!), Fair City(The worst type of populist, what's-this-weeks-social-issue-in-the- script-excuse) are somehow 'authentic' as well as and a series of political documentaries that RTE are constantly telling us are brilliant (The Shell/Mayo broadcast was an unintelligble mess IMHO).

The problem is that the home competition, eg TV3 TnG and that excuse of a Channel in Dublin are no real competition at all...starting to sound like the Dail all over again. I am frankly embarrassed by what our national broadcaster pays the likes of Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy etc and I agree with Bartlett when he states that either we pay a licence fee for Advert free or reduced TV or we let the whole thing just go like sky one. The demands of talentless presenters seems to be the tail wagging the dog.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Re: Unhappy with RTE radio

I tuned into Radio 1 recently at 7pm to find Dave Fanning interviewing Amanda Brunker. I thought I'd pushed the wrong station button.

That did it for me.

Sean O'Rourke and Vincent Browne are the only 2 shows worth listening now, as well as some of the stuff that comes on Sat and Sun mornings before Marian Finucane spoils the show.

Other than that its Lyric with a brief interuption from 9pm to 10pm for Ken Earley on Off the Ball.
    The only way to change the world is to win elections.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Unhappy with RTE radio

I listen to Tipp FM mostly... Seamus Martins phone in show kicks the as* of any RTE phone in.. The station is superior to RTE's offerings. I'm sure the same claim can be made by all the county stations throughout the country.

jonna
    VOTE LABOUR!!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I too am worried by Radio 1.

Pat Kenny & Sean O' Rourke are strong and Mary Wilson is good - even if the endless sports bulletins are very bloody annoying. For pete's sake, he has half an hour of his own show directly after Wilson! Leave it til then!

Tubridy - 90% rubbish
    Derek Mooney- woeful dross
    "Drivetime with Des" - ditto
    "Drivetime with Dave"......... actually quite good

I find myself listening to Hook more and more. The format of the slots is more likely to get a debate going between Hook and the people he is speaking to - whereas Matt Cooper tends to be formulaic: 4 or 5 scripted questions from Goldilocks, followed by a cringeworthy cynical quip, then cut to the ads.

For anyone who doesnt listen to George Hook, but needs a good introduction: TUNE IN AT 5.30PM ON FRIDAYS and you will here a guy called Michael Graham give a rundown on the events in the US that week. The guy is a Neo-Con nutter, and every single week it descends into a bickering match of Neo-Con v European Liberal.

If you want something to sum up just how far ahead of Newstalk RTE has shot: compare and contrast Derek Mooney with Moncrieff.......
    "The IRA Army Council have a history of telling the truth. If they say they didn't do it, then I believe them" - Bertie Ahern, speaking after the murder of Det. Garda Jerry McCabe

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BarryW
    I too am worried by Radio 1.

Pat Kenny & Sean O' Rourke are strong and Mary Wilson is good - even if the endless sports bulletins are very bloody annoying. For pete's sake, he has half an hour of his own show directly after Wilson! Leave it til then!

Tubridy - 90% rubbish
    Derek Mooney- woeful dross
    "Drivetime with Des" - ditto
    "Drivetime with Dave"......... actually quite good

I find myself listening to Hook more and more. The format of the slots is more likely to get a debate going between Hook and the people he is speaking to - whereas Matt Cooper tends to be formulaic: 4 or 5 scripted questions from Goldilocks, followed by a cringeworthy cynical quip, then cut to the ads.

For anyone who doesnt listen to George Hook, but needs a good introduction: TUNE IN AT 5.30PM ON FRIDAYS and you will here a guy called Michael Graham give a rundown on the events in the US that week. The guy is a Neo-Con nutter, and every single week it descends into a bickering match of Neo-Con v European Liberal.

If you want something to sum up just how far ahead of Newstalk RTE has shot: compare and contrast Derek Mooney with Moncrieff.......
    i agree with you on moncrieff....that show is great, but i think the lunchtime show is rubbish with eamon keane, i just cant stand the guy...the smugness is dripping out of my speakers
    ahhh feck off

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have strong information that Sean O' Rourke and Mary Wilson would have sympathetic FF leanings and it will be interesting to listen if their bias shines during the campaign
    Social Libertarian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast