Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you stopped buying newspapers because they are free online?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Have you stopped buying newspapers because they are free online?

and would you start buying them again if they started charging online?

I think newspapers will soon stop putting their papers online for free.Already the Tribune and the Post don't come online until 6pm on a sunday.

papers like the WSJ charge for their content as it's not easily obtained. Irish newspapers can do the same because while there's loads of international news on the internet, there isn't a great deal of Irish content.

Murdoch is going to start charging:
    News Corp will charge for newspaper websites, says Rupert Murdoch | Media | guardian.co.uk

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no... btw there is a murdochian micropayment thread onsite.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post
    papers like the WSJ charge for their content as it's not easily obtained. Irish newspapers can do the same because while there's loads of international news on the internet, there isn't a great deal of Irish content.
    Really? The Irish Times tried it and failed so now offer free content - they obviously disagree with your analysis.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YesSireeeBob View Post
    I never by Murdoch papers in any case, on principle. So that doesn't bother me at all. Also the Irish Times dropped charges for online editions.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not really. Lately I buy the IT about 4 times a week. The odd time the Indo. Sometimes the Sindo and more regularly the SB Post.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnfás View Post
    Really? The Irish Times tried it and failed so now offer free content - they obviously disagree with your analysis.
    early days yet.
    It depends how it's affecting their sales how much it's making/losing. Also depends what the indo do. If the indo start charging the times will probably follow.

No. You can browse a page of a newspaper far easier than a list of online headlines. Easier to miss something important online.

I have to say I understand the Trib and the Post not putting their content online until late in the day. However, I think they are missing an opportunity in not putting up their headlines earlier as a teaser.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey. Sitting on a comfy chair on a Sunday morning, drinking a latte, sun streaming through the window, favourite paper in your hand and you still have the sports section to go. No, I ain't going online 'cause it ain't the same thing.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i only buy newspapers now on a speciality basis.

last time was the euro and council elections and im sure the next will be the lisbon referendum coverage.

i do have to say that when i do this i tend to buy the lot on the day , bar the redtops.

but beyond that the freebe paper on the way into work is pretty much all ill have on my person.

i get most of my news off the net now or the radio.

reuters has been playing a blinder during the whole lisbon affair where the mainstream irish seem to have handed in their NUJ membership for the duration. its really been disturbing to see the extent of burying of stories thatve gone on recently

its also alot easier to go direct to the source like live feeds on political debates and organisations like the CSO.

nothing wrong with papers though once you accept the fact your getting old news by the time its printed and hey, libraries DO have em for free

browse the headlines in easons though too if im honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I certainly still buy the paper. I don't mind reading stuff online but I like the feel of having a paper in my hand.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen” - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast