Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: The Great Depression II

  1. #1

    Default The Great Depression II

    Credit driven economies are dependent on a constant expansion in the flow of credit and payment of debt. Both sides of the ledger are collapsing in the US and elsewhere. The numbers are in and they don't look good. All this monetary stimulus and M3 money supply is still shrinking. I thought Economics is a Zero sum game.

    Money figures show there's trouble ahead - Telegraph
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Credit driven economies are dependent on a constant expansion in the flow of credit and payment of debt. Both sides of the ledger are collapsing in the US and elsewhere. The numbers are in and they don't look good. All this monetary stimulus and M3 money supply is still shrinking. I thought Economics is a Zero sum game.

    Money figures show there's trouble ahead - Telegraph
    (I seem to be following your posts around!)

    Al Martin reported years and years back (aroudn 02 or '03) that the US Fed stopped regularly reporting the M3 money supply they way they used to. Whether this current event of the consequences of that were intended or not, will be played out on whether the new economic world order that G20 are making relied on such actions at the end of the dot-com boom.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member mryoungdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    dedham
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Disregard most of what you read with regard the US. It is not improving. The grind down continues. The consumer has very little spending power.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Dan could ya fills us in on these reverse repo yokes the Helicopter Bernanke is flapping on about?
    Quote Originally Posted by mryoungdan View Post
    Disregard most of what you read with regard the US. It is not improving. The grind down continues. The consumer has very little spending power.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member netron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    225
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Gold is now bouncing around the $1000 an ounce mark for the past few weeks.

    if Gold breaches the $1100 mark, that'll be a breakout for the price and it will head northwards to $1500 or higher.

    when that happens , then yes you can declare the Great Depression Part 2.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The auld green back is now the carry trade currency,so it could get interesting.I thought the IMF where going to sell off more of the lovely yellow metal.I believe the Chinese were ready to bounce at the G20,but no word yet .
    Quote Originally Posted by netron View Post
    Gold is now bouncing around the $1000 an ounce mark for the past few weeks.

    if Gold breaches the $1100 mark, that'll be a breakout for the price and it will head northwards to $1500 or higher.

    when that happens , then yes you can declare the Great Depression Part 2.
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  7. #7

    Default

    Googd question and answer session with Doug Casey concerning the issue.

    Doug Casey on the Greater Depression by Doug Casey
    “The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - Friedrich A. Hayek

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Doug can have some good stuff.Cute devil spends a lot of mula investing in Argentina where its nice and cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra Syndrome View Post
    Googd question and answer session with Doug Casey concerning the issue.

    Doug Casey on the Greater Depression by Doug Casey
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member mryoungdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    dedham
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atlantic View Post
    Dan could ya fills us in on these reverse repo yokes the Helicopter Bernanke is flapping on about?
    I will have to look into the mechanics of this to make sure we are talking about the same thing. The Federal Reserve is paying interest on funds the banks have deposited with is.

    This is raising some hackles as some are saying that it is deliberately making things worse because why should the banks lend elsewhere at risk.

    A lot of people think the depression is deliberate and it has merit.

    It is hard to convince me that the destruction of the dollar is not deliberate to bring in the global currency.

    What other explaination would there be for boondoggles like 4 billion cash for clunkers. It is not the 4 billion itself but the absurdity of the idea, how could any currency survive politicians who would waste mone on such nonsense.

    Believe what you like but at least believe your eyes. The US and indeed Ireland are having their living standards lowered to 3rd world status

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    People in Ireland don't want to believe in that they think Santa Claus government is going to sort everything out(with no mula to calm the sheepole) if not FF ,it will be Enda and his little bunch of elves.Ya know like yer man in the US "yes we can" ,gas isn't it if wasn't so true.
    The reverse repo has something to do with the primary dealers and the Fed ,after that I leave the rest up to you ,ya would have a better handle .
    Quote Originally Posted by mryoungdan View Post
    I will have to look into the mechanics of this to make sure we are talking about the same thing. The Federal Reserve is paying interest on funds the banks have deposited with is.

    This is raising some hackles as some are saying that it is deliberately making things worse because why should the banks lend elsewhere at risk.

    A lot of people think the depression is deliberate and it has merit.

    It is hard to convince me that the destruction of the dollar is not deliberate to bring in the global currency.

    What other explaination would there be for boondoggles like 4 billion cash for clunkers. It is not the 4 billion itself but the absurdity of the idea, how could any currency survive politicians who would waste mone on such nonsense.

    Believe what you like but at least believe your eyes. The US and indeed Ireland are having their living standards lowered to 3rd world status
    A champion of the people emerges with the age-old and appealing promise of "something for nothing" - to be financed through every-increasing taxes. Supply and demand are thrown out of gear - the overhead goes up; the effective use of human energy goes down; the standard of living is lowered because money cannot buy wealth that is not produced.

    WEAVER, HENRY GRADY,

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •